HalcyanStudio

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Given the nature of my game (action rpg), i'd like to control states in seconds instead of turns (or damage). Are there plugins that can do this or are there any tutorials out there on how to do this (or something similar) that i can use as a base?

Thanks!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd be surprised if some of the ABS plugins didn't already have this functionality - what are you using?

Aside from that, off the top of my head you can make applying a state turn on a switch (via common event or Yanfly Custom Apply Effect), and set a variable value.

Then have a parallel process on your maps that runs once a second to check for any of the state switches to be on, and if they are, decrement that variable, and if it hits 0 strip you of that state.

HalcyanStudio

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan I'm using ChronoEngine. As far as i know it doesn't have this function? The parallel process you describe works, but is a plan b as it means more work and might have a negative influence on FPS. Thanks for the input!

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it means more work and might have a negative influence on FPS.
It's fine to be your plan B, but the effort should be minimal - you add one conditional to the event for each state that can go on your player.

And there's practically no chance it can have an influence on your framerate...if you're running it once per second and the only operations it's doing is checking a list of states, you would have to be running a ton of other things on a very poor computer for that to have any difference.

HalcyanStudio

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan or anyone who might have input for this: I have set the system up like you have written it here. It works perfectly for states applied on the hero. But it doesn't work for enemies.

As I'm using Chrono Engine, I can remove the states from the player through the Change State event. But this doesn't exist for enemies as i'm not using a classic battle system. Enemies are events that take their data from the enemy tab from the database. Are there any methods with javascript that could fix this?

I tried the script call target.removeState(x); but then the target is not defined, as i expected.

Any input is more than welcome!

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not familiar with Chrono Engine - is there even any way for an enemy to "have" a state at that point? If yes, it would probably have to be something that's tracked by the battle manager or something.

Why do you need to be tracking the enemy states outside of combat?

You could make the event on the map set a variable indicating it has a state of ID X and then time it using the same process you did for the PCs. Then use...can you use troop events in Chrono Engine? Is there an equivalent? Use a turn 0 troop event that says if this enemy has variable blah set to X, give it this state before combat starts.

HalcyanStudio

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do you need to be tracking the enemy states outside of combat?
Because I use the ABS function of Chrono Engine, so there is no "combat scene", battles just happen on maps.

I used the same process as for the hero, only the last step doesn't work. Here it is the event for the hero:
Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 00.16.08.png

But there i no enemy/event alternative fo the "change state" that is highlighted, that only works for the party.

can you use troop events in Chrono Engine? Is there an equivalent?
There is not i'm afraid.

I tried target.removeState(x); but then target is not defined, as i expected.

I know this is a very niche problem with Chrono Engine though. Thanks for the help so far!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Coin Locker title screen:
Still in progress...

Screenshot_134.png
the girls.png
So, these are all the girls of the party =3 (beside the protagonist if you play as a female.)
Now, I just have one more character sheet of the guys left and I'm done with their presentations =3
Can you recognize where this area is from? :kaocry:
Mq9QM3h.png
For those with up to 9 elements of magic; how do you structure your database. By element? Or by what is offensive vs supportive spells?
would anyone here be interested in rough concept art for the main protagonist of my game that might get changed later? :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetltd