Control the Growth of Custom Stats on Level Up

Portrayl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am currently working on a project that uses BOB's Custom Stats to create a more detailed layer of calculation and overall feeling behind the game's mechanics. The only problem I've run into is that no existing mod (at least to the understanding I have) allows or easily explains how to directly change and manipulate the growth of each class's custom stats upon leveling up. I have tried very poorly to implement alternatives such as SGS's custom stats, however these didn't seem to work how I'd wanted. 

If anyone can educate me on, make a plugin, or knows of a plugin that allows for a detailed control of this custom stat growth either via javascript or even directly associating different stats for every single level (such as Level 23: strength +1, vitality+2) Could you please let me know? Thanks ahead of time.

P.S: I didnt quite know what forum to post this under, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place.

takashi1kun

spaghetti god code
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spain Spanish
Primarily Uses
I am currently working on a project that uses BOB's Custom Stats to create a more detailed layer of calculation and overall feeling behind the game's mechanics. The only problem I've run into is that no existing mod (at least to the understanding I have) allows or easily explains how to directly change and manipulate the growth of each class's custom stats upon leveling up. I have tried very poorly to implement alternatives such as SGS's custom stats, however these didn't seem to work how I'd wanted. 

If anyone can educate me on, make a plugin, or knows of a plugin that allows for a detailed control of this custom stat growth either via javascript or even directly associating different stats for every single level (such as Level 23: strength +1, vitality+2) Could you please let me know? Thanks ahead of time.

P.S: I didnt quite know what forum to post this under, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place.
You can do it by a event and the plugin that allows to execute a common event when player levels up

Portrayl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As far as I can tell it seems the common event on level up works only by actor Id. Do you know if there is anyway to do it by class Id instead?

takashi1kun

spaghetti god code
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spain Spanish
Primarily Uses
As far as I can tell it seems the common event on level up works only by actor Id. Do you know if there is anyway to do it by class Id instead?
That dont have sense what levels up is the actor and whit plugins that allow to change the class what level up is the conviantion of actor-class,

takashi1kun

spaghetti god code
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spain Spanish
Primarily Uses
ahhh you mean to different classes for same actor, different grows, thats easy i think, one moment

takashi1kun

spaghetti god code
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spain Spanish
Primarily Uses
for example this is the common event for the harold's level up:

sorry for the spanish but i think do you recognice whai i meant, in the actors common event whit conditional you can split in different classes

Portrayl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks a bunch. This appears to be exactly what i'm looking for. Now just to put it to test...

If there are any problems i'll be back  ;)

Portrayl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As far as I can see the available parameters don't accommodate the custom ones I've included. Is there a special way to do this?

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So just checking to make sure the requirements are the following.

• For every level you want control over exactly how much a certain class gains at every single level
  • Multiple actors can have the same stat gain as long as they have the same class.
  • For stats are you wanting control over the normal ones such as

Vitility
  • Agility
  • Strength
  • and so forth

[*]Or are you also wanting more control over special stats such as

• Evasion
  • Mp cost
  • Critical hit and so forth.

Is there any other criteria you want for the plugin.

Plugin in parameters to possibly change the stat growth mid game or by percent instead of by a base value.

Forthright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, so I am posting as another member of the same team.  We are wanting stat growth the be determined by the class.  We have actually run into a two fold problem.  With Bobstah's custom stats plugin, when classes change, it doesn't properly change or add stats along with it.  Obviously we want a little bit of growth for a class change, as in add additional stats as well as change how they gain stats on level up.  We only want to change our base stats which are your standing Strength, Dexterity, VItality, Intelligence and Spirit.  I have tried using SGS recently as it handles temporary copies where Bobstah's plugin does not handle temporary copying of stat information to be held and wait to be added until all calulcations are complete.  If we can solve the level up issue, the only one that remains is proper caluclation of the stats and how they are handled on level up and class change.

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
How familiar are you guys with scripting?

It looks to me like you'd need to add some data to the level up and class change functions.

The level up one could likely be done with an array(s) being checked at level up with each stat raising it's value by the amount in the array.

(And that's only if the values will be different.  If they always go up by the same amount, it'll be far easier to code.)

The class change just needs to record the stats before the change and then reapply them.

Unfortunately, it would be very hard to write a general plugin update to handle these for you due to the nature of the custom stats themselves but if you don't know how to code well enough to do it yourselves, I'm sure someone can give you a hand.

Forthright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, unfortunately no one on the team has the JavaScript knowledge to do this.   I have very rudimentary knowledge but not enough to do this.  Maybe soon I can make some headway personally but we want to get this out to the public and get feedback.  If anyone has any ideas or can help,.it would be much appreciated.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm working on a plugin for this. I've worked with custom stats before and it's not necessarily that hard.

Forthright

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i can't wait to see it.  The scripts out there don't seem to do what we need and others only allow you to do evals which makes the stat distribution too random.  I liked Bobstah's level up bonus script because you got to decide at what levels what stats increased and by how much.  That's what I'm looking for here.  But Bobstah's custom stat plugin doesn't do what we need it to.  You can't add stats from already existing sources.  Like let's say I have an actor set with 5 of each stat I define.  I can't add to that from the class page.  And when the classes change, they don't add either or re-evaluate properly.   Are you making a plugin that encompasses all of this or just the stat part?  Or specifically just level up?

the reason we don't use Bobstah's script is because it doesn't work with custom stats.  I tried it out before we added custom stats and I liked how it functioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made a brief video showcasing early game play... Got a copyright claim by BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) for using music I bought from here (Future Steam Punk Pack). Now I wonder if I should strip any purchased music from here out of my game. :LZSskeptic:
Cleaned character animation and new room

I'm not sure if I should open a thread for this in games in development..
It's weird I actually have MORE work to do when stuck at home than before.
The No Travel Game Jam is here! Jump in to make a game in the month of April that takes place all in one town!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkPatisserie