AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So this plugin request has a story to it. I had decided it would be fun to test my latest project in RPG Maker MZ with a controller and I had bought a USB dongle that let me plug in my old PS1/PS2 controllers. MZ would not recognize the controller's existence and in MV only the analog sticks worked on my Dualshock 2. I looked on the help page and it said "Xbox 360", I had asked this very forum if anyone had a list of compatible controllers for MZ only for no one to give me a clear answer I needed. So I bought an aftermarket Xbox 360 controller only for it to not work and now I had spent more money on a used wired Xbox 360 controller. YIKES!

So now the plugin request proper: I need a plugin so that MZ could be played with a variety of controller people have. I'm not saying all, but most. I have prepared a list of different controllers from different consoles (Most of the modern ones not requiring a massive effort to get functioning on Windows PCs) both modern and legacy. I know there are some controller related plugins but those mostly deal with making events vibrate your controller or add controller functionality to events. This is a request to make more controllers compatible with MZ.

Some legacy controllers can be used on PC via a USB adapter.

Controller list

• PS4 (Dualshock 4 specific functions not needed, just buttons and sticks)
  • Xbox One
  • Nintendo Switch (Joy-con specific functions not needed, just buttons and sticks)
  • PS3 (SIXAXIS specific functions not needed, just buttons and sticks)
  • PS2 (Dualshock 2 Pressure Sensitivity is not needed)
  • PS1 (Including Dualshock 1, Original Analog, and Original Analog-less)
  • Saturn
  • N64 (Rumble Pak/Controller Add-on bits not needed)
  • Genesis (Six Button only)
  • SNES
  • Colecovision (Optional Meme controller)
  • Atari 5200 (Optional Meme controller)
  • Garden variety USB controllers (such as the one made by logitech, also RPG Maker MZ's help page nor RPGMakerWeb Users couldn't tell me what USB controllers were valid to use so this controller variant is here)

If anyone can take a crack at this, please go ahead. If anyone also has a list of compatible controllers, the support thread is here (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...y-mz-and-to-an-extent-mv.135401/#post-1179392). If anyone needs help with testing I do still have that PS1/PS2-to-USB adapter and will procure other controller port-to-usb adapters in the future.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I don't think there's going to be much you're going to be able to do about this from within MZ itself. I don't know a lot about how the controller compatibility actually works, though so I might be wrong.

Instead, I'd look at something like Xbox Controller Emulator which allows the PC to map non-xbox controllers as if they were xbox compatible controllers.

I also had a program that installed drivers for the Dualshock 3 and 4 which caused windows to believe they were xbox controllers as well, but that ended up getting screwy after a windows update apparently made windows natively support playstation controllers at some point.

I also had another application which I unfortunately cannot recall the name of, which allowed any USB controller to be considered an xbox controller, which I had installed on my uncle's PC like 8 years ago so he could play skyrim with his old ass logitech PC gamepad, since steam wouldn't recognize it as a controller at all. At this point I think the x360ce is probably the best bet.

On that note, I feel like MV at least supported playstation controllers already, although your old ps1/ps2 controllers might not work because of the need for a usb dongle, the PC probably doesn't see them as playstation controllers at all, and instead, generic PC gamepads, which might not be supported.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I don't think there's going to be much you're going to be able to do about this from within MZ itself. I don't know a lot about how the controller compatibility actually works, though so I might be wrong.

Instead, I'd look at something like Xbox Controller Emulator which allows the PC to map non-xbox controllers as if they were xbox compatible controllers.

I also had a program that installed drivers for the Dualshock 3 and 4 which caused windows to believe they were xbox controllers as well, but that ended up getting screwy after a windows update apparently made windows natively support playstation controllers at some point.

I also had another application which I unfortunately cannot recall the name of, which allowed any USB controller to be considered an xbox controller, which I had installed on my uncle's PC like 8 years ago so he could play skyrim with his old ass logitech PC gamepad, since steam wouldn't recognize it as a controller at all. At this point I think the x360ce is probably the best bet.

On that note, I feel like MV at least supported playstation controllers already, although your old ps1/ps2 controllers might not work because of the need for a usb dongle, the PC probably doesn't see them as playstation controllers at all, and instead, generic PC gamepads, which might not be supported.
Okay so inbetween me making this thread and today someone recommended me JoyToKey and it maps keyboard buttons to controller buttons so now this thread is obsolete because I'm kinda of an impatient moron when it comes to these sort of things.

So yeah.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so inbetween me making this thread and today someone recommended me JoyToKey and it maps keyboard buttons to controller buttons so now this thread is obsolete because I'm kinda of an impatient moron when it comes to these sort of things.

So yeah.
Yeah, I used to use that to play Maplestory with a PC gamepad ages ago.
I was more thinking that since you were looking for a plugin for it, you wanted this to be fixed on the player end as well. Joy2Key is a bit harder to setup for the average user I'd think than the x360ce, so if you end up in a position where you're trying to fix this for a player who has an old controller, I'd still go for that.

siguren

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When it comes to gamepad compatibility, my plugin is likely to solve it.
This plugin can change the button allocation, so most should be resolvable.
If there is a problem that cannot be solved, we will consider updating the function to deal with it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally working actively on Tundra! I'd like to share my wife's WIP art for the starting map and a rough draft of one of the later characters, Katrina. She's very eager to hear any feedback you might have!1623790662347.png
Got my first vax today, arm is a bit numb, but nothing odd so far. :kaopride:
dYOm9IY.jpg
image_2021-06-15_212613.png
Looks a bit.....kid friendly. Then again, I suppose that does with with a lot of retro themes... Crap, already spotted a flaw xD
What a stupid week so far! I was really short on sleep yesterday thanks to my back hurting and not falling asleep fast enough, now today I am 2 hours late for work because my damn alarm clock changed from the alarm setting, to the radio setting which I always keep muted.
I introduced "booby trap" as another indirect way to fight supernatural threats in the game.
But, some of my players are using it to blow up random citizens on the street.
Not sure how "creative" they can go with it. :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincentus