Controlling variables with item equip

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by cub36, May 18, 2018.

1. cub36

cub36 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys I'm looking at implementing a system in my current project that would put some more emphases on equipment selection. Eg having armour that changes certain variables when equiped.
    I have an idea for a character warmth mechanic that would apply states to the character depending on how warm or cold they are.
    I currently have variables set up for the warmth of maps which change dependent of time of day and location (it is always very cold at night in my game.)
    To make this work I'm trying to find a way of forcing the player into making a choice between keeping the character warm, or having the highest stat armour.
    Has anyone had any success with anything similar? and how did you go about it?
    I'm sure there is probably a very simple script to do with this, but I haven't stumbled across one yet.
    Thanks.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @cub36 It is not clear to me from the wording of your post whether you want to discuss the design of such a system (penultimate sentence) or the implementation of it (final sentence).

Could you please post and clarify which it is.

3. cub36

cub36 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, more on the implementation side of of it.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What engine? This will belong in the Support forum because you're asking "how to" rather than discussing the actual mechanic/design of the system.

5. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @cub36 As Shaz has mentioned, this needs to be moved, but can't until we know which engine you are using. As well as posting that information here, please consider adding it to the info under your avatar. It can save a lot of time in the future if you do.

6. cub36

cub36 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am using MV. I will update my profile as well.

7. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

8. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have written a plugin that changes variable values depending on equipment (link is in my signature).

Alternatively, you can also use a parallel (common) event to check which items each actor has equipped and change the variables accordingly.

9. cub36

cub36 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Will this work on state as well or only on equipment?

Also thanks for pointing me to this script.

10. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The plugin works only on equipment. For states, you can use Yanfly's Buffs & States Core plugin with Lunatic notetags (Custom Apply/Remove Effect) to add and subtract from variables when a state is applied/removed: http://yanfly.moe/2015/12/25/yep-50-buffs-states-core/
    There could also be other plugins written specifically to handle variables influenced by states, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

If you use a parallel event, you can also use it to check for states similarly to checking for equipment.