optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/optimum45/Convergence3-1Banner.png[/IMG]

Synopsis

A decade removed from a turbulent childhood, Morgan struggles with the unrelenting boredom and monotony of day to day life.  Trapped in a boring job with no real reason to move forward, Morgan begins to remember the dreams that caused all of his problems back then, and wonders why they would return now.  Those dreams were always so real and magical.  But these new dreams were different.  Painful and Frightening.  Morgan couldn't have known that these dreams were more than just wild imagination.  They were a calling to a new life that was just about to begin...

Project Information

Goals for August 2015:

-Incorporation of the Commissioned World Map when it becomes available.

As always, taking input from anyone who play-tests the Demo and making necessary changes.

The Convergence Project has shifted to it's natural beginning.  A visual novel using RPG Maker VX Ace is in production called "Convergence - The Prologue", as I try to tell the story from it's actual starting point.  Sadly, the first two books do not allow for a great deal of RPG greatness, which is why I started in Volume 3.  I hope that I can produce a visual novel as well as this game demo has come to be.  Wish me luck!   :rock-left:

The World

The Convergence is the end result of a tragic disaster caused by a Scholar named Malleus.

There are varied species on the planet, but are generally broken down into four major groups.

The Machine:  Malleus and his creation have tapped into a seemingly endless supply of non-sentient, drone like life forces that it transmutes into the Convergence as humanoid "shells".  There are also many sentient creatures that are either controlled by, or have sworn their lives to, The Machine.

The Olem Matriarchy:  The Olem are good with the energies that flow around them, and are naturally better at "magical" skills.  Olem females are telepathic with each other, and can read the thoughts of Olem males.  This difference put their women in power for generations.  Their society was actually quite a marvelous achievement during it's peak.

The Terran Outsiders:  A secondary tragedy caused several hundred "Terrans" to be ripped from their lives and pulled into this conflict.  They play many pivotal roles in the war, as momst Terrans have a capacity for ruthless violence that is beyond most others.  They are generally the most feared combatants in The Convergence, and have joined all sides of the conflict.

The Ellian Tribes:  The Ellian people are bigger and physically stronger than The Olem, and are fiercely devout to each other and their "sacred lands".  They had a war with The Olem people over mutual "birthrights" immediately after the merger.  They are also outstanding fighters, but only engage The Machine when they are forced to.

Characters

Main Character:  Morgan

By written story, Morgan is a Male Swordmaster.  Thanks to game mechanics, Morgan can be either Male or Female, and either a Swordmaster, Magus, or Tactician, and also renamed to the player's liking.  Each of Morgan's core classes has a unique role with the various other characters planned for the game.  Those that appear in this demo are...

Alden_Bust.pngAlden          Ryeka_Bust.pngRyeka          Jenna_Bust.pngJenna

Joshua_Bust.pngJoshua          Mike_Bust.pngMike          Jon_Bust.pngJon

Gameplay

Genre:  RPG   I have tried to stay true to what made the SNES and Sega Genesis era JRPG's so enjoyable.

Combat:  Turn Based.  Class Based Skills.  Healing Items in combat restricted to class specific abilities.  Non-Combat healing items are percentage based, retaining usefulness through the entire game.  (Note:  No in-combat healing items exist in the Demo.  No character yet exists that can use them.)  Monsters are built to scale, but are meant to become a challenge over distance, as they were in classic RPG's.

Stamina:  Standard MP has been replaced by Stamina.  Every fighter regenerates Stamina each turn.  This effect grows as you level up and gain skills, but skill costs are also calculated to this effect.

Weapons and Arms:  Every Character has a unique weapon that will level up with them over time.  Weapons can not be removed.  Some armor can also "level up", but most basic models can not.  Accessories included runestones, rings, and some character-specific accessories that can't be removed.  Gear can also teach characters skills via skill points as well.

Money:  Gold is replaced by "Energy" that the player simply absorbs.  That energy is then used by vendors to "create" the items they know how to make.  There are also barter systems in place for a series of "essences" and "broken armors" that, as of the current demo, do not yet have any function.

Screenshots

[IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/optimum45/The%20Convergence%20Project/Screen4.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/optimum45/The%20Convergence%20Project/Screen1.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/optimum45/Screen4.png[/IMG]

Demo - V0.100 Released 7-24-15!

No RTP Link -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd5dvjfhc17ljry/Convergence%20Demo%20V0.100%20-%20No%20RTP.exe?dl=0

With RTP Link  -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/2eo3lsvmdd26dzi/Convergence%20Demo%20V0.100%20-%20With%20RTP.exe?dl=0

Credits

IndieLogo.pngPVGames.pngDarrenCurtis.jpgScythuzBanner.png

Contact Information
E-Mail:  optimum45@yahoo.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.schmidt.752

I look forward to your feedback.  Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First Release Demo is available to anyone interested.  Your brutal honesty is appreciated.   :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/satr1l40y7sgubg/Convergence%20Demo%20V0.003.exe?dl=0

Edit: Due to a humiliating oversight, I had to pull that demo version down.  A new one is up in it's place with the oversight repaired.

Other changes:

Morgan's Home Map changed

Random Battle Rate Reduced

I won't update this everyday, but as you guys know, some things have to be fixed when discovered.  My apologies.

CrazyCrab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Decided to give your game a shot, here's some feedback as I notice things and move along:

- Hmm, the opening map is way too big / empty. I'd compress things a bit, not fill the walls completely. I'd just make the outside walls 1 tile thick, then leave it empty (aka black), otherwise they really do look unusually thick.

- The character sprite is really small :o Are you sure you imported it correctly? Or is it a dwarf / halfling?

- Wait, is that a phone? The tiles don't look modern to be honest, something like a fridge or something would make it much clearer, maybe also a TV or something. I really thought that it's a medieval story with some ancient radio thingy.

- It's pretty weird when he goes under that roof... disappears too soon, then pops up too late.

- A nice transition to the credits. :) I feel like you should have your title screen cover the whole window though.

- Gotta say, the trees would probably not grow on the sand, right next to the water - you've got all that space, use it ;) Your maps are a little bit barren so far...

- Hehe, was going to unequip it all to keep for later, glad to see that you knew it was coming ;)

- Pretty cool characters so far. Not too much exposition before I get to play either, so thats good.

- Drones? What? :o (also, I went right straight away looking for collectibles.) Gotta say that the name instantly makes it feel like a sci-fi game, I'd go with something like golems, constructs or homunculi instead.

- Nice to see a side view battle system, also animated. Cool. ;)

- The sprites become half-transparent occasionally... not sure why. (ex. fireplace (kid), the wooden barriers (the high level ones))

- Uuuuhhhh the RTP world map tiles really, really don't work well with High Fantasy... they really don't. 2 completely different artstyles that just don't got together all that well. If anything, you'd be better off using Inquisitor's world map tiles, they match Hight Fantasy slightly better - http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/details.php?id=103   It's not perfect, but imo it doesn't clash half as much.

- Ouch, ouch, ouch. Don't mix the 2 tilesets together, please! It looks really bad. All ratios and everything is off.

- I'm pretty sure you imported the characters wrong, they're too small when compared to the furniture.

- The character creation is a nice touch, always nice to see that. That said, I feel like you'd use an ''are you sure'' with the 1st question, I missed it as I was pressing go on. ( I picked the tactician, sounded pretty cool.)

- Hmm, the orb reset their skills, but what did it need the gear for? I'd expect them to be stuffed with awesome equipment at lv 99. ;) Just kidding, but it's a small plothole.

- Ah wait, I have a gun! So maybe it is a scifi game? I'm a little bit confused...

- I earned 8 skill points? (won 1 fight) How do I use them?

- Uuuhh, I move like 4 steps and I get an encounter. Entered the next area, can barely walk around :(

- What's the point of the savepoint in the library? I can save wherever I want anyway, no?

Stopped playing a while afterwards, the random encounters were getting on my nerves - there are just too many, also poison / high speed and dodge, one nasty enemy to start your game with. ;)  Going to sleep soon, maybe I'll play some more tomorrow.

Anyway, general suggestions:

- You REALLY don't want to mix RTP and High Fantasy together, it just doesn't work and it looks really unprofessional to be honest. I think that if you replaced the world map tiles with the tiles I linked you to + had a look at other PVGames packs you'd have more than enough resources for numerous games without having to use those - they really look out of place.

- A custom windowskin is always a welcome touch and there is a lot of them around for free. :)

- The dialogue is alright, but the characters aren't exactly memorable... the priestess (supposedly the nice healer) complains the most, so that's a memorable and somewhat strange quality, but other than that they're quite bland. I'd recommend mixing it up a little, give them some exposition somewhere. Maybe it's coming up and i just didn't get that far.

- What are skillpoints and how do I use them? I really want to know that one. ^^'

- Tone down the random encounters a little or make them faster, It's hard to do anything right now. Just so, so many + you take heavy damage during each battle because of the speed.

Anyway, looks promising story wise and I like the character creation aspect / combat (nice animations and multiple chars is always nice). 

Keep it up. :)

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Skill Points is actually Yami's AP Equipment system.   It will apply skill points automatically to skills available on gear.  I'm working on a way to also apply that same total to weapon experience, but my limited coding knowledge is hindering.

The Main Character Tactician and 1 other Character of the planned cast can use a gun.  It is a "Terran Only" weapon, as they only exist in our universe.  But on your point of Sci-Fi, I guess you are right that this story has sci-fi elements to it.  I will change my tags.  I didn't want to tag it a million ways, but a Sci-Fi tag is fairly appropriate.

I actually shrank *all* of the spritesets I'm using on this project by 30% down to 49x49.  72x72 just seemed to large to large to me.  So that's why the seem small compared to everything else.  They are!

I have commissioned a World Map that will go in there.  RTP doesn't work out well for me either.  Eyesore.   ;_;   But I'm not a very good mapper, and I figured it would be best to have it done by a pro.

I will work to even out the random battles.  I'm still a little confused as to how to really manipulate the average steps.  The averages in all maps is over 30, and in some cases over 40, and it'll still pop battles every 4-5 steps.  Hopefully I can learn how to better finesse it.  The Demo is scaled to Level 7 and the encounters are to high right now.

Thank you for your input and advice.  I will take it all under consideration as I move forward!   :)

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Convergence Demo for June is now available.

Change Log:

- Drones are now called "Shells".  We are still seeking and destroying all reference to the term "drones".

- New Windowskin changes added

- Light Mapping Changes added

- Encounter Rate reduced

- Added some effects to certain cut scenes as I learned the value of Parallel Processes.

- The RTP World Map Translation has been delayed.  I will update the demo when it becomes available.

Demo Progress:  40% 

I am continuing to study animation and Ruby coding in the hopes that I can eventually build these parts as I see them in my mind.  It's like learning to walk on a different set of legs when you're already a fine sprinter with your own.   :guffaw:

As always, I look forward to the feedback from our great community.  Thanks for your time!   :D

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello there, I've just downloaded and finished the demo. I really enjoyed it and I think it has lots of potential.

I will just point out the "issues" I ran into. Bear with me, it's nitpicking, but I suppose you want a polished game in the end.

- There is a minor bug at the vault, not gamebreaking. After you see the first series of events and finally pick your class, if you try to return back inside the vault you will trigger the initial dialogue "Alden! Jenna is wounded... blablabla". Then you port back inside and can continue normally.

- There is another minor bug at the "final" (for the demo) dungeon. You can walk through a wall near the chest that contains the item that activates the portal, this will allow you to roam on the black zones of the map (inside the wall), and I don't think it's intended.

- The fourth character, the archer druid... She learned the Stone spell, but she has it nowhere in her menu and can't cast it in battle.

- It seems that if you learn an ability from a rune you still need to have it equipped to use the ability. But is this intended? I thought you would gain the ability permanently, otherwise all accessories that are not spell-learning runes are put at a serious disadvantage. I don't think I'll ever wear boots or greaves this way.

- The buff icon of the Guard status is spelled "Gaurd".

And that's all I can think of right now.

Keep it up, I look forward to see the finished game.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for your time and input!  I would like your post again if I could, especially finding the "Gaurd" thing.  I actually made that myself and never noticed.   Neither did anyone else either.   :guffaw:   Good catch!

Resulting Changes:

- Adjusted Switches to fix repeating dialog sequences in the Southern Vault.

- Changed Tile Passage settings settings to fix the literal hole in the wall.  It was not intended there, but I did test that spot for something I plan to use later and never removed it.  Also a great catch!   BD

- All "Earth" spells were incorrectly labeled as "Energy" spells.  They have been moved into the "Nature" category where they belong.

- The "Gaurd" Icon has been fixed to correctly spell "Guard".

- Regarding Skills -  This is an intended effect.  The characters in the demo are, quite literally, some of the strongest characters planned for the game.  They are intended to be highly focused in certain areas, like Ryeka's Energy Magic and Jenna's Nature Magic and Bow Skills.  But the runestones are intended as a "flex" to a characters natural power and an avenue to learning higher "forbidden" skills that they won't learn naturally.  If Jenna wears an Energy rune, she can then use energy magic also.  Some characters just can't use that kind of "magic", and won't be able to equip the rune at all.  As the story progresses, other characters that aren't as outright powerful, but more flexible, will become available.  For example, Eva (Ryeka's Sister) can use Elemental, Energy, and Anti Magic without the assistance of a runestone, but she will never learn Anti skills on her own, and her Energy skills are limited without runestones.  When her spell list becomes fleshed out, she becomes very powerful.  There are also the "Swordmaster", "Magus", and other specialized fighting skill types that will have their own "runestones" in gear form, like Jon's Dragoon Tablet, and the "Rampage Ring", which does teach you exactly what you think it does.   :o

We have broken this down further into four categories of skills.

Natural - Part of their natural build.  They will learn skills of their natural type as they level up and can use them with no restrictions.

Limited - The character can use this type of skill and will learn some skills on their own.  Runes would be required to "master" a "Limited" skill, and could still be impossible for that character under certain circumstances.

Restricted - The character can only use this kind of skill if a corresponding rune is equipped, and likely can only learn these kinds of skills from such runes.  Will likely also be unable to pass a certain "spell level".

Disabled - The character can not use this kind of skill at all, as it would defy their personality, story character, or logic in general.

Many of the demo characters have long lists of Disabled skill types, as they are very story restricted.  Others are more flexible.  As the player's "army" grows, a good number of "options" arise.  

There is a large menu section I've been working on that I'm going to add this kind of definition into.  I just need to figure out how to do it well enough.   :D

If you have any further questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Once again, I thank you for your time and input.  I have added your website handle to the credits also.  All updates will be included in the next release, planned June 25th.   :rock-left:

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, another thing I noticed. Certain abilities that have no effect outside of battle can also be used on field and only waste your MP as a result.

Examples I found:

Smite and Crush (Morgan Magus)

Holy Strike (Aiden)

But look thoroughly because there may be more.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There were a few skills incorrectly labeled as "Always".  I went through the current skill list again and double checked them all.  They should be fixed on the next update.   :D   Thanks for the catch!  If you find anymore, send them my way!   :rock-left:

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Some little more nitpicking after playing it a bit again and reading your post about skills, it's mostly about characters.

1) The paladin has the offhand slot sealed while the priestess and the druid do not? Wouldn't it make more sense otherwise? I guess it's more likely that an axe can be a one handed weapon rather than a bow or a staff.

2) Jenna is a druid. Yet she loses all her nature spells when you take out the basic nature rune, if I understood it correctly (based on your post), this means that she's "Restricted" for nature spells, shouldn't she be "Natural" instead? My Morgan Magus learned the elemental magic permanently with the runes and no longer needs to have them equipped. I expected something similar for Jenna and nature spells.

Food for thought for further polishing I hope.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have actually been working on some of this, and a lot of it is character/story related, so I can't give to many details, however... :D

Alden has a unique ability when he returns to the group in a later volume, to change his weapon into a sword and shield to assume a defensive role.  I'm still trying to work this out as a mechanic however.  But his off-hand is sealed for that reason.

For almost everyone else, I'm looking into incorporating some kind of believable off-hand items for users of two-handed weapons.  Rings are likely, as well as arrows, weapon straps, and gloves.  If that doesn't work out, I'll likely seal the off-hands across the board.   :unsure:

I didn't have the same problem with Jenna in my playtest.  Nature magic is tied to her character class.  I'm not sure why that would be happening, but it is something I could have spotted and changed on my own without realizing it.  It will be rectified in the next release, as it is repaired in my current version.   :D

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Demo V0.005 Released with an additional No RTP version.  Links are above.

No RTP - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmqs94xuvsdhd4v/Convergence%20Demo%20V0.005%28No%20RTP%29.exe?dl=0

With RTP - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wdhjus5wyzwecn/Convergence%20Demo%20V0.005.exe?dl=0

- Cleared the "Work Board", and installed all fixes listed in the topic above this post.

- Tightened up certain animations and events, but most won't be noticed.

- Made minor adjustments to the combat core system that also shouldn't be noticed.

This isn't a major release, but it will be a few days before I can check back in, and figured I should just put out what I had with an empty work board.

As always, Thanks For Your Time!   :rock-left:

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Premise of the game sounds quite interesting to me! I really,really love that a major motivation is the monotony daily life sometimes causes. That's something that naturally piques my interest. Some of the gameplay choices also sound interesting, such as the energy. That reminds me of Dark Souls a little bit. When I get home from my travelling I think I'll download the demo.

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Mike's skill "Beatdown" is still tagged as "always" and can be used on field to waste MP. 

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Darn, I thought I had found them all.   :guffaw:

It's fixed in my current model.  My next release will have a few new things.  A lot of the "black space" is being worked out into scenes now that I'm better at eventing.  Hopefully the World Map and Title Art will also be coming soon.  I suck at waiting, but good things are worth waiting for.   :rock-left:

Thanks for your time.  Your input is invaluable to my work.   :D

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya. Just gave the demo a try. The game's not bad so far. The story concept is quite interesting. I haven't gotten too far yet, but I guess more will become clear as I go on. Characters also seem quite memorable so far.

I think the main critique I have right now is towards the mapping and visuals.

Firstly, I think the sprites are too small compared to all the other stuff.

Here's an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63155786/Conv%2001.jpg

The table and the bed look way too big for the character.

Also a lot of areas mix RTP with PVGames tiles and the two art styles just clash together. I noticed someone already pointed it out, but thought I'd mention this too as another opinion.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63155786/Conv%2003.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63155786/Conv%2004.jpg

I also noticed on the screenshot below you used floor tiles as cliffs, which looks kind of strange.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63155786/Conv%2002.jpg

There are also a few passability errors. Like for example those trees in the screenshot above. I noticed I am not able to move behind them. The upper parts of the trees should be set to star passability rather than an X, so that the player is able to walk behind them.

I would also highly recommend to change the default RTP music for something else. There is so much good free music on the forums, there's no reason to use the default RTP tunes, because they've been used too many times already and make the game feel generic.

I haven't experienced the battles much yet. Though I do like the fact the game let me choose to be a warrior, a mage, or a tactician class. I wasn't too sure what tactician was about, so I just went with warrior.

Also, will you have a new title screen for the game? I'm not really a fan of the current one. The bright yellow letters on the space background look a bit odd.

Anyways, hope this feedback is useful. I'll try to play further soon.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm actually working with various tilesets to see if I can even up the way everything looks.  I also plan to purchase a great deal of the available tilesets to have at my disposal.  The "bits and pieces" method isn't working for anyone it looks like.   :rock-left:

I have a commissioned World Map in the works, and I'm hoping to have that replaced soon.  

There was a conflict with a Z Bonus script that made characters turn shaded that I still haven't resolved.  When the script goes back online, some passage settings will work correctly again.  I will also scrub the maps once more to find any additional errors. 

I am actually attempting to commission the Title Art at this time, but no one seems up to the task as of yet.   :o   I made the "Great 80's" logo up there currently, which is a testament to my true art powers.  Writing is my magic.  The rest is a challenge.   :guffaw:

I haven't really gone through music to much yet.  Aside from Scythuz material I really enjoyed, I've really avoided it.  Music is bloody expensive, and I know it's going to hurt my wallet when I start digging into that mess.  But soon...soon indeed!

I hope you continue to play through, and that you find it enjoyable.  If there are anything other issues you find, please let me know!   :D

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. :)

Yeah, I imagine a lot of stuff at the moment are just placeholders.

In regard to the music, I'd highly recommend to check out ReStaff releases. There's always some nice music being made by the community, so I'm pretty certain you'll be able to find some nice tracks in there.

Good luck and I'll let you know if I come across any more issues.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Zapped

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A breath of life from an unexpected source has saved this project from total damnation.

Rock on   :rock-left:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can hopefully move onto doing visual effects and sound design now. :kaophew:

The latest RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue starts now! Let's jump into Kamigami: Clash of the Gods!

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrMomake