Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Good evening all.

I'm looking to have players play each of 4 playable characters prologue/chapters 1s as a single actor campaign before the stories converge.

Is there any way to implement this sort of system (similar to octopath traveler) where the player can choose the order they play the 4 initial stories, then once all 4 are complete and the party is officially formed, the progress made in each of those stories carries over?

I know I can event/variable the heck out of this, wondering if anyone's done it any other way?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good evening all.

I'm looking to have players play each of 4 playable characters prologue/chapters 1s as a single actor campaign before the stories converge.

Is there any way to implement this sort of system (similar to octopath traveler) where the player can choose the order they play the 4 initial stories, then once all 4 are complete and the party is officially formed, the progress made in each of those stories carries over?

I know I can event/variable the heck out of this, wondering if anyone's done it any other way?

This plugin is exactly what you could need. Each actor could be put into separate parties, and have separate inventories and they can be later combined together.
The game I was working on was very similar to your idea, and basically you just give switches and variables based on the story the player chooses and you change it when they change to a different story. I also would recommend a cross save switch and variables plugin.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think it would be difficult to event this at all, but since you asked for "another way",

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Thank you.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good evening all.

If I understand correctly, the four playable characters have separate prologues, but once those are cleared, the rest of the game is one single story, correct?

That's more Wild ARMs than Octopath Traveler. The former has a converging story while the latter mostly has it all running in parallel until much later on.

Assuming you want to provide the player the choice of what order to start each story in:
  1. Create four different switches for each character. Name it something like "_____ is Leader," basically so you can check whose prologue the player is currently playing.

2. Assuming these separate stories happen in the same locale, setup different event pages for your NPCs based on who the Lead character is (if "xxxx is Leader" is ON)

3. Create four different switches for each character called "_____ Character Prologue Done," which as the title states checks if the player has completed x character's prologue. Turn the character's switch on when the prologue is complete.

4. At the end of each prologue, run an event that checks if ALL Prologue Done switches are on. If they're not, throw the player back to the prologue selection screen. If yes, throw the player into the Chapter 1 screen.
I'm fairly certain that's the simplest execution of what you want to accomplish. While I'm sure a plugin could be made of this as well, you're likely to need to do script calls or use switches anyway to accomplish the same outcome.

Hope that helps!

EDIT:
I understand the request becomes a lot more technical if you want visual flair like a prologue selection menu and/or if you want players to see where you parked your other characters last while you're playing some other character.

Here's how you accomplish the latter:

This method assumes Character X was in Town 1 and Nowhere Else at the end of their prologue.
  1. In Town 1, create an NPC/Event that is blank on Page 1.

2. Create another blank page on the same event that checks if switches "Character X is Leader" and "Character X Prologue Done" switch are Off. This means you aren't using Character X, but also it means they are not in the point in the story they should be in to be in that area yet.

3. Create another page, this time with a visible sprite of the character, on that same event that checks if switches "Character X is Leader" is Off, but "Character X Prologue Done" is On. Feel free to add whatever interactions you want on them.
Note: If you provide players the possibility of having Character X finish their prologue in other locations, you can create a variable where each number could indicate where they were located last (ex. 1 = Town 1, 2 = Dungeon 1, 3 = Town 2, et al.)

Mind, this simple execution is limited to just locating what map the characters were in last, and not the exact position they were standing in. It becomes a whole lot more complicated if you let the players switch between characters anytime they want, anywhere they want. It's definitely a fair bit of work, so you'll want to ask yourself what the work for, exactly. I personally wouldn't want to invest too much time and thought into a mechanic that only matters once in the whole game.

Last edited:

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This plugin is exactly what you could need. Each actor could be put into separate parties, and have separate inventories and they can be later combined together
Yes. So much yes here. Thank you Jader. Also going to incorporate the party selector scene Hime built. The party selector scene likely wont actually be useful since I'm going to force merge the actors into one party eventually
I also would recommend a cross save switch and variables plugin.
Have any in mind you would recommend that wouldn't conflict?
Hope that helps!
It 100% does, especially because I'm going to have to set up some eventing to check if other stories have already been completed to help determine what party selector scene to call.

Thank you.

@Shaz you know me, if it can be a plugin, im gonna bloat my game file size before eventing. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes. So much yes here. Thank you Jader. Also going to incorporate the party selector scene Hime built. The party selector scene likely wont actually be useful since I'm going to force merge the actors into one party eventually

Have any in mind you would recommend that wouldn't conflict?

It 100% does, especially because I'm going to have to set up some eventing to check if other stories have already been completed to help determine what party selector scene to call.

Thank you.

@Shaz you know me, if it can be a plugin, im gonna bloat my game file size before eventing. Lol
Yanfly has a cross save and variables plugin for MV and ik Visustella probably incorporated it for MZ, and you can merge parties with the hime plugin

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yanfly has a cross save and variables plugin for MV and ik Visustella probably incorporated it for MZ, and you can merge parties with the hime plugin
I realized it would give a lot more work if I made it all separate saves so I'm going to event the story paths out separately until they converge.

So won't need to cross save since it'll be within a single save file

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

working on an A/V sync system for my game! was NOT expecting the first roadblock to be accessing a variable from a public class!! Computers are so finicky sometimes :kaosigh:
For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hahah520