xXHughezXx

This account is under occupation...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm currently running into issues with trying to create dialogue cutscenes. This cutscene is primarily for an Intro and I can't seem to get it to run right after multiple attempts. Basically I'm using AutoRun to start a conversation between 2 characters but I want one of my characters to move to a chair after the other character is done talking. I know how to route the character movements but the problem is that my other character (character 2) won't move after character 1's dialogue I'm not sure if the AutoRun is to blame for this or if I need to create some kind of switch for this issue. I'm kinda still learning too with switches so please understand. Any help would be appreciated.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It sounds like you're controlling the movement in the characters' events, rather than in the AutoRun event? That's probably what's tripping you up! You'll generally get the best results if you use the Set Move Route event command as part of your autorunning cutscene event. Set Move Route is different from the Autonomous Movement that you set on a per-event basis--you add it just like any other event command, and it should play on cue like you want with no need for switches!

Give that a shot, and let us know how it goes! If it doesn't work, post screenshots of the relevant events and we'll see if we can troubleshoot.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to what TeiRaven said...any advice we might offer is just guessing, since you didn't provide pictures of the event(s).

It could be that you're spreading the commands over multiple events, it could be that you're never turning off the Autorun, it could be that your movement route is wrong which locks the game.

There are a number of YouTube tutorials about making cutscenes, and you can also go through this one on this site's blog:

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to what TeiRaven said...any advice we might offer is just guessing, since you didn't provide pictures of the event(s).

It could be that you're spreading the commands over multiple events, it could be that you're never turning off the Autorun, it could be that your movement route is wrong which locks the game.

There are a number of YouTube tutorials about making cutscenes, and you can also go through this one on this site's blog:

I'll definitely have to checkout some video tutorials on this. The blog is informative but I'm more of visual learner. I wanted to add a short video of the issue happening too but I didn't know how and I'm used to just posting images of problems anyways. I'll have to play around with this some more after I rest my mind.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
set up a main director event, and move other events from it.
you can set a move route to move another event, not just the one it's running from.

if your problem is *timing*, set the sequence so that it ends with sending the event in question to it's scene position, have that event *touch* another event, and use that touch to run a variable +1
in the director event, set another page to that variable.
since the scene can only go forward, the scene will continue *when the event triggers* rather than *after a number of wait frames*

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll definitely have to checkout some video tutorials on this. The blog is informative but I'm more of visual learner. I wanted to add a short video of the issue happening too but I didn't know how and I'm used to just posting images of problems anyways. I'll have to play around with this some more after I rest my mind.
We're fine with you posting images of problems, but you don't appear to have done that yet. :p Please feel free to do so, it'll prevent us all flailing around aimlessly with conjecture.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to add a short video of the issue happening too but I didn't know how
videos are a bad way to get help anyway, we always prefer screenshots of the event pages to a video showing an error without what is causing it.

AnneLaurant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If Character 2's movement is programmed in the AutoRun, then you probably need to check for Character 2's event name or number in the upper left of the Event Editor window and see if your movement commands are set to that same event name/number.

It might also be an issue with the Wait option or the Wait time for movements.

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is how things are set up currently. This intro will prby span across a few maps so right now its in earliest phase.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture II.PNG
    Capture II.PNG
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture III.PNG
    Capture III.PNG
    229.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    241 KB · Views: 8

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if there's nothing else taking over the processing after that autorun has ended, it'll just run again.

are these all the events in question?

xXHughezXx

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if there's nothing else taking over the processing after that autorun has ended, it'll just run again.

are these all the events in question?
Currently yes. I haven't added anything else yet because I couldn't figure out what was causing my character (Joy) to not want to move. Her dialogue plays out but she doesn't move at all like the other 2 characters.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that means that her movement is blocked by something in the way.
so you have to check that there are no other events in the way and that the tiles are passable and so on.

that said, you made other mistakes.

1) in any cutscene, there needs to be a single controlling event. ONLY that controlling event should contain any and all event commands, all other events should be remote-controlled. That includes removing the autonomous moveroute from your other events.
instead the event should give the move routes to those other events by set moveroute command before or after the show texts depending on what you want the timing to be.

2) autoruns repeat. so instead of getting the show text once, it would repeat eternally from the beginning. you need to switch off autoruns to prevent that.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
set up your actor events, empty, no trigger, no move route.
set up another event set to autorun, put the dialogue in there, and use "SET move route" commands directed to those empty events.

"events" are only there to be programmed when they require an input from the player.
anything else that is *not* tied to the player, is basic programming.... so, make it as simple as possible.
and that simplicity is just one sequence telling all the other objects in the scene "you there, move that way; you, that other way".

do that, get the events moving as the dialogue plays, and you'll be faced with timing problems.
we'll sort those out next.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This may also help you to better see what we are talking about:

AnneLaurant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah! Like the previous users point out, you have to use only one event to AutoRun the whole thing. Autonomous movement can only do so much.

For example, if Joy/EV002 is your first AutoRun event (meaning the cutscene starts with Joy), then you should use a Set Movement Route command to move EV002, Cat/EV001, and EV003 under EV002. Separating autonomous movement per event will not automatically make the cutscene work. (Unless you're working with switches, which while plausible, is not really efficient.)

As gstv87 points out, there are timing problems with doing everything under one event. One simple thing you can do with these timing problems is to space out movement routes or use dialogue boxes to hold them, so that you can make certain characters and actions wait.

And like Andar said above, after all of this is done, you can turn on a Switch or Self Switch at the bottom of the event, make a new event page that activates when the Switch or Self Switch is on, then leave that new event page empty.

See my labelled example for a working cutscene here (spoilered due to length):

Cutscene-01.png

In this short scene, I have three characters: the Player (Gracie), Desmond, and Ireus.

1) My cutscene has Gracie allow Desmond to keep an item.

None of the actions under label 2 will occur until I exit Gracie's dialogue box.

2) The characters will react to this. Desmond is shocked to silence. Ireus is protesting. And Gracie will look at Ireus.

However, I need Ireus to jump twice while reacting, while Desmond stands in shock, while Gracie is looking at Ireus. So I do not set a "wait for completion" option for anything.

None of the actions under label 3 will occur until I exit Ireus' dialogue box.

3) When his "WHAT" dialogue ends, Ireus will continue to protest and jump twice. Meanwhile, Gracie will ignore him momentarily to look at Desmond, who, in his shock, will stammer out his gratitude.

No other character/event will have any scripted contents as shown below. The events for Desmond and Ireus are empty.

Cutscene-02.png

While it is not shown, at the end of this whole cutscene, I have a Switch that turns on to exit the AutoRun event. When the Switch turns on, the same AutoRun event will turn to a blank page (shown below) that is set to appear when the Switch (named "0036 Start C2" here) turns on. Think of this Switch as kind of like a "Next Page" button in a book viewer program.

Cutscene-03.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

WhitePaper.jpg

From China, with...white paper. :kaojoy:
This is a really good video
Testing Parry/Counter system straight from Action Sequence instead of utilizing the default counter.
Quite happy with the result so far.
Bex
This just blew my mind.
RMMZ can choose Tilesize.
No complicated Plugin needed, it is a simple inbuild Option.
This means you could literally use all your rm2k3 or vx-ace Tilesets and Characktersets in RMMZ.
This also makes me curious about experimenting with smaler Tiles and higher Screen Resolutions for non RPG Games.
mztilesize1414564.png
Did you know about this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasuga24