Converting graphics into 256 color

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by inzim-1, Nov 16, 2015.

1. inzim-1

inzim-1 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi, so I figured out how to convert my graphics into 256 color, but a lot of the colors change too drastically. I tested it with the premade graphics and their faces turn green when I turn them into 256 color, but aren't they supposed to already be in 256 color? All the skin color is either green or nearly white. I don't know how to stop the drastic changes in color. Please help. :[

Thanks.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While you are specifically talking about 2K3 graphics, your question is more about image formats and how to convert them correctly. So I'm going to move this into Program and Utility Discussion

3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What program are you using to convert the colors?  Are you specifying the palette or is it creating one for you?

4. inzim-1

inzim-1 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Actually, I was able to fix it. I tried MS Paint and Irfanview, but to no avail, so I tried Gimp and specified the palette and it worked. :D

5. Shin Kitsune

Shin Kitsune KITSUNE Game Design Veteran

First Language:
    ENG/SPA
    This works for me. Grab MS Paint from a version prior to Windows 7 (maybe Windows XP or Windows 2000 Paint would be best). They still have the option to save BMP's as 256 colors. You  can import that into RPG Maker and it gets converted into PNG or XYZ.

RPG Maker 2000 used to convert the files automatically, I think. I don't know why RPG Maker 2003 does not.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015