Converting parallax tiles into tileset :D

Discussion in 'Non-Maker Specific Tutorials' started by wandering-warrior, Jul 7, 2012.

1. wandering-warrior

wandering-warrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi guys, today i am going to show u how to convert parallax tiles into tileset form. I tried converting some and it was not too difficult and It was very useful to me :D So i thought i'd share with u guys :D

I know what it feels like when someone posts an excellent tileset and when we see, its for parallax mapping :D so im gonna show u how to convert most of them to tileset form.

So lets start. Im using GIMP2. Im going to tell u exactly the same way i did.

1.) First open gimp2 and open an existing tileset , delete the layer, then add a new layer and select "transparency" in " layer fill type" option.

2.) Now go to image--->configure grid---> and set the width and height to 32 in spacing section only

grid.png

now go to view and click show grid and snap grid Now u can see the grid (boxes).

3.) Next open the parallax tileset u want and repeat "STEP 2". But this time don't check

SNAP GRID . So that u can select more freely or else u'd b limited to grids. After that just click the "rectangle select" tool in toolbox and draw a rectangle around the tile u want like this,

selection.png

4.) After u have selected it, Copy it using "ctrl+c" , go to the window u created in "STEP 1" and then draw a rectangle around the box. It should be three boxes high as u can see the "post" is three box big. U'll feel while selecting that as soon as u reach 3 boxes and go a little further it automatically stops.... and the selection remains to 3 boxes... THAT"S because u have checked the option snap to grid [​IMG]

grid1.png

Some times when selecting bigger tiles like this

big selection.png

U'll have to draw a large rectangle consisting several small boxes

5.) then just press "ctrl+v" the image will be pasted and there will be an outline of the picture like this

outline.png

Now the tile is in tileset form.... IF u are still experiencing alignment problems like a line over or below the tile then continue to step 6

6) If u are facing problems after the above steps then disable SNAP TO GRID option and manually align it. After completing step 5 u'll see that there is an outline of the picture... (see the above picture). Now select the "MOVE TOOL" and move the picture to make sure that the picture is inside the 6 small boxes ( which we selected earlier in step 4). If the picture isn't in the box then move it until its aligned in the grid. In this case we don't need the move tool as the picture is already aligned in the grid. As long as u align it right u'll have no problems.

To clearly explain move tool i 'll give another example, this time with a big selection

Not aligned.png

Now as u can see that the sides of the picture is not properly aligned. So i'll use the move tool and now it'll look like this,

Properly aligned.png

Note one thing, i suggest leaving space when pasting tiles like this, i u are facing problems even after SNAP GRIDoption is checked

leave space.png

Because if u don't want to leave space, then u'll have to be very accurate, or else the pictures will get mixed and you'll see pictures with their side part overlapped by the second pic.

And also note that pictures like this are smaller but they are covering the upper 3 boxes ( outlined by red) so if u paste anything above this pic, be careful that the second picture doesn't go into the 3 boxes. Even if a small line will go into that box u'll see it while pasting the tiles in the editor. So....yeah... be careful about that :D

If u follow the steps above and align it properly, u'll get it right. I did it this way and it worked for me :D

Thanx for reading :lol:

EDIT:- It works for the animation tiles A1-A5 if u place the same type of tiles at their default position and

as long as the picture completely fills the grid or else u see the editor's background.... But u won't have that problem if u have checked snap to grid but still if it shows the background... use the "scale layer" tool on that selected picture and scale it until its completely in the grid :D

Sorry guys i didn't know about this function uptill now.... After u select show grid..... In the same column below it is SNAP to Grid.. Check that also... What it will do is automatically align the picture to grid so u won't need to align it urself.... [​IMG] I've added this step to OP

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
    Juanita Star and amerk like this.
  2. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Excellent, this is exactly what I think people have been wanting. Knowing how to do this themselves, they don't have to keep asking Celianna or Lunarea to do this for them.

3. wandering-warrior

First Language:
    English
    Yeah... i first asked celianna and lunarea if i could post their converted tileset but as it was against the rules... :D so i though i'd made a tutorial to help people... :D

4. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Not only that, but this way gets people to do it themselves instead of relying on everybody else.

5. wandering-warrior

First Language:
    English
    Yeah... but still :D some are asking me, rather than following this tutorial :(

Juanita Star likes this.