Cooking/Crafting System?

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by SleepyGremlin, Oct 22, 2015.

1. SleepyGremlin

SleepyGremlin Meat Eater Member

First Language:
    English
    I’ve found plenty of beautiful little crafting and cooking systems for VX Ace, but when it comes to RMXP, I haven't really been able to find a script that works this particular way.

I know this is something I could do (to a degree) with eventing (I recall making a start on a sort of similiar cooking system for RM2000 when I was 12? But that was over a decade ago.) but the amount of recipes I want to implement would take such a long time and make such a mess when it comes to switches, that I feel it would be much tidier and organised as a script; plus it would probably look a lot nicer too.

Back when I was a little kid, I adored the cooking system in Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. I spent hours collecting up ingredients just to cook different dishes – hell, it’s something I’m still highly entertained by.

So, I’m asking the community very kindly if someone might consider trying their hand at this script idea :’)

It's a simple minigame of sorts, one more suited for simulation style games or even a nice little basic RPG; I loved being able to just experiment with different item combinations and I'm sure there are others out there who would love a basic cooking system!

I’ll try be as thorough, clean and descriptive as possible for what I was thinking – if there’s something I’ve not been clear on, or someone can direct me towards a similar system (I have had a good thorough look, honest!) please let me know. :)

General Breakdown

• The cooking scene is called via script call in an event on the map.
    • There are ten unlockable utensils (this could be done through switches or maybe in the form of weapons or key items that need to be present in your inventory?)
      These are: knife, frying pan, blender, pot, whisk, rolling pin, oven, steamer, a seasoning set (with the options to add salt, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce - could this be customisable with the option to add/subtract seasonings based on the creators preference?) and “no utensil” option (Default from the beginning)
    • You can use a combination of eight-ten ingredients – these must be present in your inventory.
      (Or additionally, as long as it doesn’t require additional complicated scripting, ingredients can be stored in a fridge; the cooking scene reads both your inventory and the contents of the fridge for what ingredients you have available)
    • You choose what utensils you want to use first
    • You then choose what ingredients you want to use
    • If the combination is successful, then you will receive an item of that cooked dish; the combination is added/unlocked in your cookbook for easy access in the future!
    • If the combination isn’t successful, then you will receive a failed, inedible dish.
    Mock-Up.png
    (Please forgive my terrible rushed mock-up of the cooking scene :') It's just an example of what I was thinking)​

I don’t know how complicated it would be to have a cook book that adds the recipes as you unlock them, and it's definitely not important (hell, players can write down the recipes like my brother and I used to! XP) but it would be a neat little feature if it's possible and doesn't overcomplicate things.

The other feature of this cooking system is the addition of "optional ingrediants"; basically, there are additional ingrediants that will get you the same cooked dish outcome with maybe a small percentage boost to how much HP/MP/Stats/etc it recovers, so long as the main neccesary ingrediants are there but again, I can see that as being a pain to script and isn't neccesary.

I am mainly asking for a cooking system, rather than a crafting system, but I have seen scripts for VX Ace that use the same base script that simply set up different scenes (I think Venka's and Mr.Bubble's crafting scripts for VX Ace did this so there were different categories for blacksmithing, alchemy, cooking, sewing, etc etc...) so if there's a possibility of making this a crafting system rather than just a cooking system, that'd be awesome too!

Here's a video example of the aforementioned HM:BtN cooking system if it helps! https://youtu.be/aPgHJiDdasE?t=7s

I really hope this has all been clear; I can provide little mock-ups of the scenes if it helps!

If someone can bring this system to life for RMXP though, I would be so grateful <3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  2. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Let me start by saying thank you for making such a detailed post. It's really great to see you have a clear idea of what you want. Now, I'm interested in helping you out with this but I've got quite a few other projects I'm working on at the moment so it might take some time for me to get to it. If you need it soon, here's some links to some other cooking/crafting scripts.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/26406-cookingcrafting-system-similar-to-mabinogi/

http://kaitlynn.awardspace.com/rmxp/Crafting-Recipe%20system%20script%20-%20Deke.txt

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=15&f=11&t=57554&start=0

I doubt any of them are exactly what you're looking for, but they're there if you want them. Or if you can wait, I can make one exactly how you want it. Up to you.

3. SleepyGremlin

SleepyGremlin Meat Eater Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad it was all clear and readable :'D (I was a little bit worried, I tend to ramble)

I'm not in any immediate rush at all so I'd be very happy to wait! Thank you so much for taking an interest!

(And thank you for the links to the other crafting systems, there's one there I didn't find so I'll check it out, but I'd love to see this particular system come to life regardless! <3)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015