Copy/Pasting Data from a Corrupted/Previous version Project

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Kawers, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Kawers

Kawers Ripping off Final Fantasy with Industrial Aplomb Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi all,

I have been struggling to get back into my project after a hiatus, and after some intermittent dabbling, thought a good way to do this would be to begin a test playthrough from scratch and start fixing bugs, streamlining and tidying things up as I go to, hopefully, try and re-engage with the whole thing.

In my hubris, I made some changes to my character classes and then tried to load my test save, only to find that I had effectively destroyed the game and was receiving an error message to say the "Actor data failed to load".

Fortunately, I do have a fairly recent backup from prior to the hiatus, but once I loaded this up, I've found there are actually a few things (new maps, and more specifically, a completed version of a map with the end of a quest line evented into it) that I would like to move over to the restored version (obviously retaining the backup). Since I know the problem is with the Actors/Classes data, I presume I can just leave these in the corrupted folder, but move my nice new maps over without issue?

I would like to know if moving these files over is feasible, and if so, whether I need to do/consider anything other than copy/pasting the new maps into the folder? If it is going to be something really risky or difficult, I won't have lost too much, but I'd also like to try and save the recent work if possible.

Thanks.

2. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Chief Executive Officer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If I were you, I would try to remove the Actors.rvdata2 completely and then copy the file from a blank project.

Greetings,
    Tw0Face

3. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First thing: slow down.

Dont do anything extreme yet. You most likely did something simple and it can be fixed simply.

When do you get the error message? Did you change any of the images for your actors?

4. Kawers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I've tried following your suggestion, but it seems the problem with the corrupted project file may be worse than I thought (the game did crash my laptop when I tried to load the test save after making changes but I didn't think anything of it until now). After gradually copy/pasting everything it claimed to be unable to load from my backup in sequence, it's now stalled at Tileset Data.

5. Kawers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.

As indicated in my above reply, it looks like the changes I made may not have actually caused the problem; I think it may be the laptop crash which has corrupted the data. The error extends to files I didn't make any changes to, so I think my recent project file is not going to be repairable.

6. Kawers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    After some fiddling, I've come up with with the following sort-of-solution/information which may be useful to someone else:-

1. You can copy/paste/overwrite data files from one project to another fairly simply if they use the same resources (ie. it's an earlier backup)

2. Transferring maps is fairly easy if those files are undamaged. As far as I can discern, my map files are the ONLY non-corrupted files from my project. Copy/pasting them into my new project file (based on the backup) means that all my recent changes to maps that exist in both project files has carried over, including to events (as I had been on a new play test, I had been making additions to early maps, which have carried over. My cutscene, which was unfinished in the backup, now has the completed version from the corrupted version's map).

3. It turns out that during the "dabbling" period, I actually created 35 additional maps which were not contained in my backup file. Copy/pasting these is not so straightforward, but I found that going into the new project file and creating 35 blank new maps meant that went I copy/pasted the versions from the corrupted project, they were remade in the new project file.

4. Point 3 is not a perfect solution- the tileset and map info data from my corrupt project cannot be copied over due to the damage, so some of these maps are using incorrect tilesets or otherwise missing information, but the basics are there, and it's going to be less work even if I still have to remake a few. As I save my resources separately and independently of my project file, I should be able to piece some of them back together.

5. I can't transfer item info, etc over due to the file damage, so I will need to go back and create a couple of key items for a cutscene, as this data is missing. The project data loads fine though, and just shows a blank space in the event. It's something to bear in mind if you do this.

I hope this information is useful if anyone else has the same problem, and in any event, it is a timely reminder that you should backup your project file regularly!!

Thank you to everyone who tried to assist! Any other comments or additions would be welcome!

Tw0Face likes this.