Copying a plugin+settings over to a new project?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi,
I was working on creating a GUI in a blank project with the help of several plugins.
I now want to add these plugins to the main project, but whenever I copy the .js file over, it doesn't keep the settings.
I also can't find anythig in the data folder like plugin.js, or so. How can I copy plugins over while keeping the settings they had?
This was just so much easier in VX Ace... :(

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
have you tried copying the plugin entry inside the plugin manager then pasting it onto the plugin manager of the other project? that works for me at least.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
have you tried copying the plugin entry inside the plugin manager then pasting it onto the plugin manager of the other project? that works for me at least.
I have done that too, yes. It doesn't work.
But I've been noticing more bugs with MV on steam, sometimes changes just revert back after I saved something..

Last edited:

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Am I the only person to nose around in the files of a project? I mean just looking inside the eponymously named "plugins.js" you see plugin configuration data.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Am I the only person to nose around in the files of a project? I mean just looking inside the eponymously named "plugins.js" you see plugin configuration data.
I saw that one, yes. But copying that one over will not work. My GUI project only has like, 5 scripts, the main project has a lot more, and I don't want it to overwrite the other plugins.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i dont know then, ive also noticed a few bugs regarding the plugin manager, maybe try pasting it to a new project to see if the problem persist.
About steam, that probably has to do with steam cloud messing with you, i could be wrong but i think it can be turned off.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BCj
the plugin.js file is the one that contains all configuration for all plugins in a project - that data isn't anywhere else.

Your choice is between copying that file and manually reconfiguring the five plugins you already have, or keeping the configuration of those fgive plugins and enter the configuration for all other plugins manually.

There is no other option to mix that data.

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I saw that one, yes. But copying that one over will not work. My GUI project only has like, 5 scripts, the main project has a lot more, and I don't want it to overwrite the other plugins.
Then instead of overwriting the file you copy the necessary lines over into it.

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your choice is between copying that file and manually reconfiguring the five plugins you already have, or keeping the configuration of those fgive plugins and enter the configuration for all other plugins manually.

There is no other option to mix that data.
@Andar , the file is editable in any text editor and the plugins each have their own lines. There isn't even the need to change any configuration data. Just add the lines you want.

Reactions: BCj

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
Ive personally never had a problem with copying plugins from one project to the next, just by having two instances of MV open at the same time, with the Main project open in one, and the sandbox project in the other. But if it isn't working for you, Directly copying the Configuration entries in the plugin.js file over to the other plugin.js file replacing the default entries for the moved plugins, would be the most direct way of geting things moved, aside from just manually copying settings over by hand in the editors. [so tedious]

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well it turns out it was just one pluginnot copying over its settings which is.. pretty weird. It was SuperTools MV.

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
SuperTools MV? http://sumrndm.site/super-tools-engine/ that one?

That might actually save its settings in a different file, since it needs to dynamically change things and window order ect based on other things, because it can literally change any window in your game, even windows setup by other plugins. So it likely has its own generated config file. would have to find and move that config file too.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's what I thought too. Was trying to look for it, but wasn't sure which file that was.

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
Knowing him, it would just be a file it autocreates in the sumrndmdde folder lol

SumRndmDde

Follower of RNGesus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BCj
All of the data is stored within the /data/ folder! :)

Copy over the:

DataEX.json (stores DatabaseEX info)
Notes.json (stores note extension info)
Windows.json (stores Menu Editor stuff)

Reactions: BCj

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
@BCj
All of the data is stored within the /data/ folder! :)

Copy over the:

DataEX.json (stores DatabaseEX info)
Notes.json (stores note extension info)
Windows.json (stores Menu Editor stuff)
Sneaky buggar! I'm used to your stuff hiding in its own folder. :o

SumRndmDde

Follower of RNGesus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sneaky buggar! I'm used to your stuff hiding in its own folder. :o
The purpose of the "SumRndmDde" folder is so all plugin-related images may be easily copied over if the developer chooses to use the "Exclude Unused Files" option when exporting their project. Simply copy over that one folder to the exported game and you're good to go. Otherwise, developers may have to scavenge around for all the plugin-related images they are missing upon exporting. :kaoeh:

Of course, things such as data files are automatically transferred, so they may remain within their respective folder. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON