Synchromystic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While shopping for assets on Japanese sites such as Booth, I'll often see usage terms stating something along the lines of "okay for individual and circle use but not commercial use by a company or corporation." While I'm fairly sure I understand what they mean by that, it has me wondering: When exactly does a game maker -- or group of makers -- cross the line from being considered an individual, to being considered a company? If you're making a game and you come up with a name for yourself as an indie game developer, exactly how is that different from being a game company? I mean, aside from the size and amount of marketing power you have, it kinda seems like the same thing... And when you have your game sold on a platform like Steam or whatever, is that not considered company or corporate use?
The fact that I don't speak Japanese and have to rely on Google Translate to put those terms into English makes me even less confident in my interpretation, since those translations are never perfect (and in many cases, pretty horrible). I'm just a single dude doing my own thing, so I imagine I shouldn't have any problems, but can anyone clarify some of this for me?

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.28.17 PM.jpg

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in reality, you're mixing up two different things, because that specific ToS is badly worded.

non-commercial and commercial use are completely independent of the question about single person use and corporate use.
and both cases don't have any common legal definition but depend completely on the person who issued the terms-of-service, and only for their resources.

Basically a commercial use can happen by a single developer if he sells the resulting game. In some cases the artists even consider a donation button on the same page as a free download to make that game "commercial".
And in other cases the ToS simply states that commercial use only begins with an income of x$ per year or any other possibility.

However in a lot of countries you are required to register a business to sell anything, so you can't be commercial without being a registered business. That also makes a distinction.

Now there is another difference between commercial use by single developer and commercial use by company. That is why you sometimes find mentions of "corporate licences" in addition to single user licences.
Companies have many employees, and they usually want their employees to all use a software without paying full single licences for everyone. That is why they then purchase mass licences that allow all their users to use a software, with a mass licence for 100 people usually costing only as much as 10 regular licences or so.

Synchromystic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, so I guess this is more or less so the person selling the assets doesn't have to deal with figuring out what to charge for a bunch of people working on a project who all may or may not need access to the assets, which could get confusing, or possibly result in them feeling the need to discount their items, which wouldn't benefit themselves at all financially...

But for my own specific case: I have no confusions about commercial vs personal -- I'm making a game that I plan to release commercially, though I'm so early in the development process that I haven't really looked into where and how it would be sold, but it's definitely just me making it... So these resources would be fine for me to use, for most methods where a single user would sell their RPG Maker game on the typical platforms?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.
One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...
Are ReSTAFFs a thing anymore? Just curious, not sure if this is thread-worthy, so just musing here
Mr_Petue wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Mr_Petue wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilhelm