Correct Deployment Method?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Deployment' started by theheroforgaming, Apr 25, 2016.

1. theheroforgaming

theheroforgaming Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So, recently, I made a demo for some friends, and I wanna send it out to them, so I can get some feedback. 

My problem is, whenever I send it out, either over an email using Google Drive, or when sent over Dropbox, when my friends download it, it says the file is "damaged".

I have no idea what it is I'm doing wrong. I can't find anyone who's had the same problem. Help?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    which maker are you using?

If you're using MV then this needs to be moved to MV deployment, and you need to tell us how you archived and send the deployment folder

If it is for a different maker, then it should simply be the installer file created by "compress archive) that needs to be send

3. theheroforgaming

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, yes, this project was indeed created in MV.

All I did was select File->Deployment, choose Mac, and deploy the folder to my desktop.

Then, I tried uploading the entire folder and uploading just the game inside of the folder. I also tried with and without compressing the game into a ZIP file.

The results were the same, regardless of these methods. The program used to send, be it Google Drive and Dropbox, also had no effect.

I am fairly new to all this, and frankly, I do not understand deployment further than I have explained here.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to MV deployment. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

1) which type of deployment did you use? If the player has a windows computer, then it needs to be deployed as a windows program.

2) in all cases, the entire folder with exactly the given directory structure needs to be send to the player, it doesn't matter which way. After that it should be playable both by clicking on the exe or on the index.html

3) you need to make sure that the entire directory path conforms to networking rules, which means that a lot of special letters (including spaces) must not be used in any filename or directory name. That is neccessary because windows, macOS and mobile systems use different ways to simulate special letters, and those would create incompatibilities.

5. theheroforgaming

First Language:
    English
    1) It was deployed as a Mac Program and was sent to a friend with a Mac to test that it worked. Or didn't work.

2) I did send the entire folder, but it's good to know that that's at least the correct method.

3) The name of the game is always "Game", no matter what I do, although the name of the project does contain spaces. Does this mean no project can be ever be two words long?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes and no - the project title can be anything as that is used only in the display.

It's the directory folders that must not use spaces.

Unfortunately depending on how you create the project in the first time, the project title may become the directory folder name as well (it's an automatic shortcut copying the name).

If that happened, you need to rename the directory folder, but can keep the internal project title as it is.

7. theheroforgaming

First Language:
    English
    Oooooooooooh. Okay, I can do that. I'll give it a shot, see if that's my problem.