oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I've set my game to larger resolution (1104 x 624) but this is preventing full-screen animations from properly filling the screen (things like Laser All, and Wind/Water 5, plus several third party animations).

Is there any way to either adjust animations to widescreen proportions in-engine or convince the game to read animation pages scaled differently than the 192 x 192 square?

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My screen resolution is about the same as yours and my animation displays fine. Then again I did adjust it manually in the engine

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My screen resolution is about the same as yours and my animation displays fine. Then again I did adjust it manually in the engine
Is there any way to adjust manually other than scaling until it reaches the new edge? I was hoping to be able to stretch the width just a bit so the top doesn't get cut off too badly.

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not that I know of. I just scale them manually as needed too. It's the best way in my opinion. Though I do wish there was. Have you tried to search for a plugin that maybe allows bigger animation sheets to be used? Or something that could help with that?

Magnus0808

Software Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wrote this plugin for you which should try to fix the animations when you have a different screen size automatically.

If it does not work as expected just shoot me a message :)

EDIT: I changed the plugin to include a plugin parameter for the animations which should get their animations fixed. As for most animations it would not make sense to adjust them depending on the screen size.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure how changing the size of animation sheets is going to let you cover a wider area when you change the aspect ratio of the game window. It's the layout and positioning in the editor that determines where the animations play.

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz, well think of it like this, say a character needs to perform a flame attack coming from his hands but the attack is similar to a beam. The thing is, if the sheet is restricted in size then so is the size in the editor. Scaling it makes it bigger all around but what if the flame needs to remain the same height but only want the width to be bigger. That's where a bigger sheet could come in handy. Well at least that's how I see it haha unless I'm not using the editor properly and there is a way to stretch only width or only height.

@oriongates
Hope the plugin @Magnus0808 was kind enough to share helps and solves your problem

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True, but does the window size in the animation editor scale to the window size of the game? If not, how are you going to place things to fill the window/scene?

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main thing is preventing cut-off which is relevant for some third-party animations I've found.

So, if I've got a 192 x 192 animation sprite with a screen-filling effect (something that would be noticable if it didn't reach all the way to the edge of the screen, like the aforementioned Laser All or Water 5) and I scale it to match the default resolution I need it to be 425% in order for the animation to meet all 4 edges of the screen (making the animation fill an 816 x 816 square).

So this means that I've got 96 pixels over on both sides. This isn't a huge deal because most screen-filling won't lose much if you don't see 96 pixels on the left and right sides and even if they do then I could often scale to just 325% (624 x 624) and while the animation won't technically meet the top and bottom of the screen, most animations only hit 3 of 4 sides anyway, so it's not a big deal if I just shift the animations lower and they don't meet the top of the screen.

But this is more extreme if I have a 1104 x 624 screen. In order for the screen filling animation to hit both sides I've now got to scale the animations to a minimum of 575%, which means that now they're exceeding the top and bottom of the screen by 144 pixels each. That's much more likely to result in awkward cutoff, especially for some of the third party animations I've got which were designed for the default resolution.

@Magnus0808
I'll check out that script as soon as I get the chance and let you know how it goes. Thanks for that!

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Magnus0808's plugin seems to be working! I haven't tested it yet with all my animations or in conjunction with anything other than Yanfly's Engine Core (which I use to adjust the resolution) so I will let you know if any problems crop up, but so far it seems to be working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.
I never noticed how NOISY birds can be in the morning..
The worst part of writing the thesis is getting to a point where it's nearly done and you feel like an 8th-grader could've written something on that level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stearen