captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
This may belong in the art forum, so feel free to move it, mods.  

The convention season is upon us, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to talk about cosplay.  Maybe you're looking for advice on how to replicate your favorite character's weapon, or need help on that perfect gravity-defying shonen hairstyle, or just need help deciding who to cosplay.  

Alternatively, if you've got some unsolicited wisdom to share on the subject, here's the place.

Personally, I'm thinking of attending this year's Cosplacon as a Rocket Grunt (from Pokemon), as it is a fairly easy costume to put together.  Boots, gloves, black hat, black fatigue/cargo pants, and a black shirt with a big, red "R".  Top it off with a few toy Pokeballs mounted to a belt, and you're done.  

It doesn't challenge my creativity, or my sure-yeah-totally-amazing costuming skills, but it's relatively inexpensive, wouldn't take long to put together, and wouldn't bring up issues of personal appearance authenticity.  

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Ideas of your own?

ryanfrogger

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Man I'd love to cosplay as James from Team Rocket haha, but I've never been to a convention. Someday hopefully. Huge props to all the cosplayers out there, it's easier said than done! 

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Are there no cons near you?  I can sympathize with that.  Living in rural Missouri, there were basically zero events near enough to attend.  That goes for concerts, too.  (Okay, so there were concerts, but they were always country music, which I really don't like).  It's only recently that we got a con which didn't require driving hundreds of miles to attend.  

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently attended PAX East. It was terribly fun. My biggest regret is only going for one day....

Anywho!

I'm somewhat new to the Cosplay game, myself. But I WILL say that worbla is an amazing material, useful for making a slew of different pieces of armor and weaponry. It's kind of tricky to work with, but once you get the hang of it, you can do pretty awesome things with it.

I cosplayed as Haunting Nocturne from League of Legends for Pax this year. I'll likely be doing it again for ComiCon, too.

vd0ih0.jpg

I'm the ghost. =P  The blades, gauntlets, and spikes are made of worbla, then painted over.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I thought about doing something with armor, and only just found out about worbla.  However, not having the confidence in my crafting skills, I opted not to.  But, being able to do something like that is on my life checklist.  

(Excellent costume, btw!)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.
I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wizard54