Cost to purchase evaluation - assessing your project's value (FEATURE COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by BreakerZero, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That could be good too. What I proposed was more of a post examples of good trailers thread though. See, all we ever hear on here is your trailer is $@%^ (insert favorite swear word here) with little to no explanation as to why, and no one has ever gone so far as to show what they think is a GOOD trailer and why it is good. Something like that would go a long ways.

2. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This conversation you guys are having right now? It's why I think the website needs a place for teaching devs "Marketing Skills". Because, frankly, so many Indie Store Pages are complete and total crap. Even the ones for RPG Maker Titles. I'm not even talking about "make a good trailer". I mean, just knowing how to market a game in general.

The website here needs to host some classes on how to do that, because most members here have no clue.

SanZhang likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Agreed @Tai_MT . The question is, will they let us hold or post that stuff, as Degica also markets and sells their own products too.

4. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be honest, the entrepreneur in me was thinking, "Why doesn't Degica also expand into Dev Teaching Courses? Including Marketing? Why not sell official classes? Why leave it up to the community to do the educating? Why let the community tarnish their product by producing substandard stuff with it?"

I dunno. To be honest, it's a golden opportunity to make a lot of money, but I doubt they'd do it. Personally, I'd probably set up a $10 "Tutorial Class" that is interactive and teaches a game dev how to create a 1 hour long game, that gets them familiar with every aspect of the program.

But, I'd also spin off a dedicated team of programmers to have "Official Plugins" as well, that do the things people like Yanfly do, except... well... better? I guess? I'd charge like $1 a plugin or something.

Degica could make a lot of money if they added Official Support in like a dozen ways instead of just producing more Assets and charging for those.

5. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Probably the same reason why Degica doesnt build basic features like sprite sheet support for enemy battlers or supports for multiple tile sizes into its engines instead of waiting for users to fix things with scripts. Not worth the time or investment on there end financially. :/

6. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That likely depends on how they create their engines, to be honest. If they built a new engine with it in mind that they could put their own tools into the program at a later date and sell them... Well, the work is already done. They already created the templates they're using to make new DLC. If they simply had the forethought to sell those tools to the same audience that buys their program.... Well....

I'm really way too good at being an entrepreneur...

I mean, you could sell Official Plugins, and people would buy them.. but, you'd still have users creating their own plugins that do different stuff than yours... you could still sell DLC Assets alongside the Dev Tools for creating spritesheets or your own sprites of varying sizes...

I think it would depend heavily upon what kind of team you have assembled for the creation of a new RPG Maker engine, to be quite honest. Just adding a lot of Official Support for sums of money would be worthwhile financially.

Imagine if you created a Plugin that was essentially just a Quest Journal, which allowed you to create 9999 Quests. Then, suppose it could be customized as much as the engine is, with a few variations on it... And you charged $0.99 for it on Steam. You download it, Steam automatically updates all your game files and adds a button or an option to turn it on or off on any project you have. No need to muck about in the "plugin manager". Super convenient for end users. You would pay maybe 5 devs to design it and test it, roughly over a 3 month period... let's say you pay them $20 an hour. So... What... roughly $48,000 in labor costs? Please note that erring on the side of expensive here. I don't imagine it would take 12 weeks, 8 hours a day, with 5 devs, being paid $20 an hour to make such a plugin... But, there's got to be more than 48,000 people using RPG Maker. Or at least, I'd assume there is. So, you make a profit on it regardless. Plus, once the system is already created, it can be easily adapted for far cheaper in the next engine... And continue to be sold at the $0.99 cost... for potentially pure profit.

See? Way too good at this. I should probably go work for EA...

EDIT: Sorry, this all kind of strayed really off topic. o_O I just got into the idea of Degica marketing really great features I'd love to buy from them... if they existed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tai_MT raises a good point about engine design. Build out the base then leave it to us to extend as we need works for this and I'm totally fine. Only two problems I've run into are:

1 - click to play with no feedback when doing a browser mode (which in my implementation runs on Game Jolt for simplicity in deployment but which shows blank until you... er, click to begin); and
    2 - the manual in progress which not only doesn't come up properly as yet but cans full screen when accessed (which is probably another engine oddity) and for which I'd like an easy way to revert back to how it was mid-game.

Also, to be fair @bgillisp I did the same thing when I started this discussion. And on a final note, I think I see a potential in the comments to date which could end up pushing this in unintended directions so I'm considering taking the advice I now have and calling this a done deal before anyone gets smart and moves the matter far beyond my original intention.

P. S. I also have one final matter to deal with and it relates to point two above; however, for this I'm directing it to something a bit more specific so if anyone here can provide insight on the matter it's over this way. EDIT: Secondary matter is now feature complete.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. Storyteller-Hero

Storyteller-Hero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    According to Driftwood Gaming, it's apparently MV.

9. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    S**t.

$15 to $30 says a ****ing lot. I probably wasn't going to go full price anyway (I only quoted for reference, dammit!) but this at least gives as much an idea as how my ending track recently influenced the game itself in moving away from its working title. I'll spare the analogy I used on the naming subject from the discussion on pricing, even if it actually happened in reverse as I now suspect. Although, the final word on that subject (for which I owe extra thanks) helped me out as well in that respect.

Getting back to the matter of naming your price, I'd say that right now (counting at least the first ten hours) that's probably a minimum of $5 USD right there. By the time I add 20 more, I may be looking at least down a total MSRP of $15, not counting the massive undertaking of a combined story/second quest/new game plus to follow (immediately) after the main arc is done. Whether to double that price at this point is another matter unto itself, and you all raised some great points throughout.

EDIT: Some of the stuff on marketing that has cropped up over the discussion is supplemental and worthy of a pass on my part, but this was initially about the cost of goods (in this case the value of content for an entire game). Meaning it was not necessarily about the marketing side which, although helpful, seems borderline "hijacked subject matter". Not saying it is of course (I'll leave that determination to the mod squad) but I was originally looking at a single aspect thereof.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The time has now come. Being at the halfway point in terms of concept (and numerically at 0.5.3 with my next deployment network test) I have decided on my tentative MSRP of $14.99 USD and will be moving this aspect of my project to feature complete status accordingly. Going forward, Q3 of the development will focus primarily on the main story, Q4 will be second quest and OT (if any) will be reserved for any unexpected issues that pop up from halftime on.

This also means that I will have to provide game keys to anyone who I select for concept review purposes so if I select you I will PM with the key codes. Thank you all so much for this!

EDIT: Sorry for the minuscule typo there - I was rush posting this because reasons. Also, phase one of paid access will start exclusively on GameJolt for the purpose of testing certain game functions for which I require this) with builds for itch to follow after my complete function profile regarding the project has been established. And due to subject matter I will be settling on a charity split as well.

EDIT 2: I have also just remembered to state this but Xbox One, PS4 and Steam are now officially being added to the list as so-called "stretch goals". Not guaranteed yet of course, though I do have a preview plan of sorts established for the release of the console-targeted creation environments for the MV platform (but only for Switch/Xbox unless otherwise announced). I can't guarantee anything for PlayStation customers because reasons, and a quick look how long it took before a Fortnite strategy was finalized says it all in that respect (and I know it's a different genre, but it's still the same book from where I'm concerned by consequential result thereof).

EDIT 3: A link will be added to my profile soon for those who are interested. I will also be moving from an NDA license to an early access license to accommodate the shift (however this will not be done until I enter the the 0.6 cycle because of the legal, logistical and planning reasons involved with a super-sized undertaking of this magnitude).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.