Could Fantasy Grounds be a useful design tool?

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So Fantasy Grounds is on sale on Steam and I'm wondering if I should buy it. I mean it seems like it has the potential to be a good tool to use for designing and organizing data for RPGs. It has character and story generators and seems to have good ways to keep track of NPCs and dialogues. Has anyone used this before?

I'm not looking to start a discussion on whether this is a good tool for tabletop gaming, but rather, might this be a good tool to use to help design a game for RM?

Zeecry

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never played it before. But have seen one. I don't think you'll have time to do what you need because this is an online game, so they are waiting for your decision in the game. *CMIIW

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I'd say no. I use it pretty much every week. It does online tabletop well, but it's database it pretty clunky.

The way you'd want to use it, I would say you'd probably get more millage out of a Story Organizer tool. But I haven't used any for years I don't know what to recommend.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
No no no no no no NO!

Sorry, tried it once and it is really constricting. Just in the way it is to be used like a virtual table top for your on-line D&D sessions it might work but you always to pay extra for every game rulesets and... I would just use TTS (Tabletop Simulator) for this.

Now as a game element organizer tool I just take Libre Office tools but I know many on Steam are for that, some even free. If you can get physical note cards, trombones and sleeves, you are better off, trust me.

And I don't type this because I am dyslexic! It is bad news when you have to learn a new programming language in another tool, just to organize ideas into this one.

You can have another project on the side just to test your dialogs tho. I think it is copy-pastable from two RPGM projects.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unknown.png

Making good progress with the second chapter. :)

Still work in progress.

(Real life, it is chronically the fourth chapter that I am making.)
constructionworkconcept.pngezgif-2-0acb620ecf8d.gifezgif-2-afeaf16ebb8d.gif "The Great Wall is great. But, most people can only be the slaves who built it, leaving their bones underneath that wall. They spent their whole life to build that wall and the empire, an empire that enslaves them." :kaoswt2: I'm just going to turn it into a modern-day sad tale.

No edits, just gameplay from one area to the next. Plus all my new shiny interface stuff... And I even remember to bolt down the portal so it won't escape this time. :kaopride:
You guys just freely offer up your Autonomy?
I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
W7Fhp9n.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avigayil