Lord Vectra

Master Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been deciding how I wanted to do counter-effect abilities. I'm using RPG Maker XP (fyi). So, about counter effects, I had the following ideas but I don't know what to do.

Ideas
Subtract X damage from the first hit and then counter

Reflect X damage from first hit and then counter

Subtract X% of damage from the first hit and then counter

Reflect X% of damage from the first hit and then counter

Important info
The reason it is first hit and not every hit is because I created a form of multi-hitting and decided multi-hits would be somewhat of a counter. After I decide that, next question is does the person using it take damage as normal or do they reflect in that they don't feel the amount they reflected.

I'm additionally looking for other counters to Counter effect abilities without the easy "just land a debuff that stops them from countering." Right now, it's multi-hits as a pseudo-counter and immobilizing status effects. Stun was too strong of a debuff so sleep is the only immobilizing status.

Other maybe important info
The game is going to be made to support a solo party up to a party of three. Naturally, counter effects are great when you're the only one they can attack as opposed to fighting with a full party.

Thoughts?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Game Mechanics Design is not for feedback on individual, specific projects, but meant to be more conceptual. While people can use their own game as an example, that is meant to provide a jumping off point for a more general discussion. However, your post seems to be exclusively about your game.

[mod]I am, therefore, moving this to Game Ideas and Prototypes.[/mod]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Why you do this? Now I have to buy the new RPG Maker xD
I've always dreaded planning for my games so I just didn't plan at all. That... didn't work out after all. :kaosigh:
Turns out it can be kind of fun if you keep the scope small and don't take it way too seriously.
well... for the first time in months... I feel like my game is headed towards something again. I finally have it where I won't be drawing battle assets for the rest of the year...
What I would give to actually get some feedback on my game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDragon64