Allaboutevent

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While getting to grips with making games and using multiple programs, I realised recently that I have an annoying habit of always closing open windows/programs after using them.

During my day job this is not an issue, but in using RPG Maker I find I have to re-open them over and over again, sometimes within minutes of doing so.

This is 100% subconscious and despite telling myself not to close something, I revert quite quickly to doing it.

It got me thinking, do others do this? Or do they have their own habits that on reflection are counter productive to their game making?

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
During my day job this is not an issue, but in using RPG Maker I find I have to re-open them over and over again, sometimes within minutes of doing so.
See, that's the opposite of me. I'll always have at least ten tabs in my browser, which I just leave open permanently.

But my biggest problem is my serious short attention span and habit of multitasking.

I'm always doing three things at once. Badly.

But when I do get thet flow state, the magic happens, and I do three days work in an afternoon.

Other thing that's keeping me back: No consistency.

I keep not working on it and then coming back to it, having no memory of where I was, so I restart half my work each time.

Allaboutevent

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@freakytapir I'm with you on Browser tabs.

That is the only task I can keep open on my desktop and multi task with, if I have lots of tabs open - however if it gets to the last tab, and I go to switch to something else I close my browser!

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
definitely.
I open and close my browser tabs (or the browser itself), the calculator, the file explorer....
it's my subconscious desire for getting to say "Finally! I'm done!"

the project: "No, you're not... still a million things to do!"
me: "dammit... whose great idea was to make this project, again? CURSE YOU, PAST SELF!"

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh yes. During game making, I tend to get lost on my own maps!

Literally this morning I updated my game because I found a bit of a visual error, so I went into the project and went, "Wait, which map was it again?" And spent a solid 1-2 minutes clicking around randomly on my RPG Maker system until I found the right map.

I think the reasoning for this is that I'm on computers all the time, and I just have a habit of navigating in/out of tabs all the time, so it's easy for me to sort of "jump" everywhere in my mind, and get lost.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes! That was happening to me for a long time!
But it was because the most time of my life I had a slow computer. Then, even before I had a better one, continue to close everything.
It took me a while to get rid of this.

Allaboutevent

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes! That was happening to me for a long time!
But it was because the most time of my life I had a slow computer. Then, even before I had a better one, continue to close everything.
It took me a while to get rid of this.

I have been busy with my One Map Challenge game, and I continued to keep closing Gimp, Windows Explorer and Firefox as I went along.

But this gives me hope! It can be overcome.

Julijewels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sleeping is my most counterproductive habit and I really wish I could just stop it.

Also using event pages, even when I could just put everything on one page. Honestly separating things in event pages just makes it easier for me to locate the cause of any issues but at the same time I end up having to use tons of switches that otherwise would not have even needed to be created.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The black rose maiden! :kaopride:
vmTLAk8.jpg

Character: Aki Izayoi from Yugioh 5Ds.
Took some trial and error, but I managed to create "visuals" for underground dig path regions.
Couldn't sleep at all so I started working on the topmost deck. I've had to make several deviations from the Imperator/Berengaria's deck-plans to accommodate MV's movement, but 100% accuracy was never my intention.
Still no name for the poor ship...:kaodes:
Screenshot-2022-06-25-053308.png
ScreenShot_6_24_2022_9_20_7.png
Here's Mike when you get a preemptive strike in battle. There's another one for when an enemy sneaks up on you too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvrhrt