Couple questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Deebles, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Deebles

Deebles Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Okay so I have had Rpg maker VX ace for a few years now. I got it on sale and intended one making a small game for my friends and family.. Well now im ready to actually sit down and try.  I seen there is a new version out. I totally plan on buying that as soon as I get my taxes. So I figured I might as well play around in VX and kind of learn the basics.  So far I can make a map... Make door evens and character events. Seems to be going smooth. 

I have a few questions. 

1) I want to eventually start using custom sprites. Downloaded ones. Plus stuff I makes. (Posters for walls, Different props whatnot) Im pretty good in Photoshop and used it for years so Im good there. Is there a Detailed tutorial on bringing your own sprites/tiles in the game.. The rules.. Like why couldn't  just bring one giant .png full of custom sprites.. 

2) After finding out about parallax mapping my mind was blown. Being well versed in Photoshop I got excited at all the detail I could easily put into my game. I watched this tutorial.  https://youtu.be/ITLqVKPLzjc She explained it great. My only issue was the part where she added the Walkable area part (57:17). Do I need a script for that? Is it because she is using MV?

3) If I can parallax map most everything. Should I even bother bringing in custom tile sets other then characters? Sense I could add everything via Photoshop?

4) Is this how lighting is done? like the glowing window lights.. Is this just added a parallax image and setting it to add and putting it on top?

5) Im having issues finding Modern tile sets. Furniture, Modern pc's, Xbox one, ps4 consoles, stuff like that. Do any of you know where I can find those? I know there is a resource area on this forum but im finding it hard to find the right wording to search for. 

6) If I do find a bunch of resources (Tile sets, etc) That I like that are for VX Ace is there a way to bring them over to MV? Would there be a loss in quality? 

Thanks again for taking the time to read. Sorry if I asked things that where obviously not allowed or posted on front page. I did google some things but found a lot of it to confusing or the person doing the tutorial would get off track and confusing. Thanks again. 

2. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

Hey, welcome! VX Ace is a great place to start learning how to use RPG Maker. 

1)  As long as the resource files are the correct dimensions and format you simply drag and drop them into their correct game folders. If you open up the Help documentation (F1) there's a chapter about asset standards.

2) If you do decide to make the switch to MV just remember that any scripts you use in VX Ace will not work as plugins in MV. But yes, she's using Yanfly's Region Restriction plugin for MV. Yanfly also has one for VX Ace

3) If you plan on painting or drawing your maps, then obviously there is no reason to use tilesets. If you're going to use tilesets then it's much easier to draw your base out in the editor before bringing it into Photoshop.
    4) For lighting you should check this out. There are other lighting scripts, too.

5) If you're looking for modern tiles then look at the RPG Maker store. It's a good place to get started as there are quite a few modern packs. Here's one.
    I would just take the time to look through the resource forums since usually artists like to upload different types of tiles to add into your tilset. If you plan on using user created resources make sure you check the artist's terms and conditions. And make sure you are downloading them from a reputable source and they have permission to redistribute/edit what they're uploading. GrandmaDeb compiles lists for tons of different resources. You can them out here.
    6) MV tiles are 150% bigger (48 px vs 32 px) than VX Ace tiles. So yes, there's a chance there's going to be a loss of quality, but there are ways to minimize that. 

Finally, I would read Andar's Beginner Tutorial

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    Deebles likes this.
  3. Deebles

Deebles Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Wow thank you for answering all my questions! Thanks so much for all the info.