COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
COVID-19 makes people anxious. If you use shades of red to represent the spread of the virus the World Map will turn into a map of an earth on measles.
There are some facts. The weak people (sick, old people, people with low immune system or diseases that weaken them) suffer more and the virus is merciless since there is no antidote to distribute. People have died. Meanwhile the majority of the population does not suffer. Worst case scenario is symptoms of a flu and stuff.

Because stupidity prevails, always, there are a few FACTS I wanna share.

We contain a lot of viruses in our system. Our immune system beats them. But if we stay in a closed, not well ventilated room, without opening the windows to get some fresh air, we will end up breathing air with more and more viruses, because of our exhales. THAT happens on transportation wagons, metro and stuff. People on winter close windows to stay warm (summer to have air conditioning) and they all breath the same air on a small room. Boom! Infected by flu. So a good idea is to open the windows to refresh the air on the places you live, work etc etc. That is not my word's that is words of doctors for years now.

Same principle, add a little ignorance and you got natural selection pick people to get infected by flu! If you are diagnosed that you are infected by COVID-19, stay calm, follow the doctor's orders and wear masks. Wearing the mask makes you a responsible human being and helps to stop the spreading. If you are NOT diagnosed as infected though, wearing a mask does NOT protect you 100% versus COVID-19, and it puts you into the danger of inhaling what you exhale and breath the air of a very limited space near your mouth. Think before you act or flu will come faster to you.

Avoid coming close to old people even if you got no symptoms. The symptoms need 14 days to alert you that something is wrong. If you are infected and you got no idea, you might infect a sensitive person.

Do not treat Asian people as a threat. Asian people are everywhere. They don't contain the virus as a hive mind and spread it on demand or something. They might be 100% clean but racism always leaves a stain to their heart.

Same applies to people that have a flu around you. It is awkward and stupid if someone sneeze to your side without precautions but sneezing is not an 100% symptom of COVID-19.

I would like to know more about countries on the World and how is the situation out there.
I would like to share thoughts, feelings, ideas.
Let's support each other any way we can.
What I will not allow though, is urban legends, panic, terror, hatespeech, meh... just let's not type stupid things people all right?
EDIT:

By asking not posting stupid things I mean not posting things that are against any rules of our forum too. Thank you.

Please restrict this thread to what is going on in your country with the virus and stuff that can be proven.

Last edited:

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I'm from Italy. As you certainly know here the virus is hitting real hard. The government said to everyone to not go out from home if not necessary and hospital are facing lack of intensive care rooms in the north of the country. I'm not a very social person, but I could assure you that forced isolation is not fun and I stayed just a day at home with my girlfriend, so a whole month will be very hard. I'm not worried for me because I'm healthy, but my parents are not and suffer in the last years of various diseases and I really fear that they could die if they get infected. Luckily they live in the south of the country where the outbreak is still light. For all the not Italian, don't panic but be careful, this could seems something far away from us, but is not. Follow the rules, reduce your travels at minimum and stay home if you feel sick. It's not the end of the world, but we are all responsible for other people.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm from the Netherlands, and they dont do a thing here really yet while the other countries take
actions to avoid further spread. so far we have around 30 dead ppls from the virus and 250 or more
infected.

the most bullshit what they can tell if someone on old age (90+ died from the virus), it can be just
his age that makes it vital or desease what he already had.

I believe it more if they are around or between 5-40 years old, but still, if they have cancer and say he died
from corona virus, it will be bullshit. healthy peoples or business people that travels over the world for
their job makes it more believeable.

that its spreading, is noticeable, but dont put the dead on the already very weak or very old peoples head.
all countries should CLOSE their gate and contain people to travel or go to work where the infected people
are. They cant travel to other countries, even if they must go there.

If they stay in their own country till its contained and stablized, they can think further to make travels.
not sooner, but they can later for their own safety and all other peoples.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Poland here. There is 25 diagnosed cases for now, and I'm kinda scared of this seeing what's going on in Italy for example...it's spreading extremely fast. There are controls at every border and they check temperature in public departmens, today they closed every school and kindergarten for two weeks. We got leaflets how to prevent from virus (washing hands, masks) and what to do if you think you/or someone else is sick. If you are suspected of being infected you are forced to stay at home and have police surveillance every day. They recommend to stay at home if you can and help elders to do the shopping/buy medicines if they need. I believe it will end soon, take care bravely and be healthy!!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also from the Netherlands and those numbers are a little off... According to the RIVM (our Health orginasation) there are 350+ cases infected, half of which where infected abroad and only 4 death so far.

Take reasonable precausions but dont jump on the panic-wagon. :)

Gamefall Team

Nebula Games Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello there!
I'm from Italy, too. I live in South Italy and here - luckily - the spread of the virus is not big as it happen in the North (I'm cheering for you guys!!).
Specifically, I'm from Campania and here we have only around 160 cases on 6 million people living here : the situation is not bad itself for the damages that the virus can do on people, but - as already another italian dude up there said - the problem is that hospitals can not take too many infected people that needs more care than simple anti-viral medicines, like old-people or people that already suffers from other diseases. Moreover, this situation do a lot of damages to the economy.

I encourage all the other people from other countries to not be scared from the virus itself : in Italy Coronavirus is spread this fast due some people has not respected the government instructions when the outbreak has been started.
This has forced the government, day by day, to publish harder proceedings to restrict people movement and activities (closing school and universities, limitations for people in making their jobs etc...) and we reached the situation to be contained in our houses, avoiding unnecessary outgoes - as student at Law, I never imagined to see certain kind of proceedings out of books lol -

But... just be cool! To all Italians, just respect the actual government rules and I'm sure that the outbreak will be contained in a few time, we must be united and we'll help each other as much as we can.
To all other countries - as the other italian mate said above - respect your government rules, take care of your health and be responsible of the people around you.

Good Luck :kaoluv:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep ^-^ I mentioned this in a convo earlier about it but if you are a healthy adult then the virus is very very unlikely to do anything except give you a slightly more aggressive flu (and for those who are unaware, the common cold and the flu are both coronaviruses, a coronavirus is actually a family they belong to, which may make it less scary for some people)! <3

If you are a normal human being, quarantining yourself or not, unfortunately, you'll probably end up with it eventually. This virus incubates for so long making it just very easy to spread for now, and our bodies don't quite have the herd resistance we have with the flu right now.

If you are a healthy adult, you'll 99% be fine. Revive your common sense and don't go to work/avoid people when you're sick with anything etc. xD Go to the hospital if say 2 weeks pass and you are still at home in bed sick, or your condition feels worse than your usual flu. We commonly ignore this totally acceptable and normal behavior because "It's just a cold."

WHO IS AT RISK
The important steps come with what you should do afterward. If you are sick right now, don't panic, but take precautionary steps to avoid the following people, as to limit or completely cut out the amount of exposure people at high risk can have:

> Very young children
> Seniors 60+
> People with compromised immune systems
> People with respiratory issues

This is why it is so important to try and limit the spread of the virus. To protect these people.

To be honest you should treat these people the same no matter what you are sick with, because those are the same people likely to have serious complications from a regular 'ol flu too! A friend of mine, for example, gets pneumonia every time they get a cough, it sucks for them and their body. Most deaths are from the above compromises, or because people ignore their flu for 3 weeks and it can do one of many things, like shutting down your kidney!

If you live with people in the above list, shower when you get home and sanitize your hands after touching turnstiles or going outdoors to hotbeds of bacteria like the local supermarket, take PRECAUTIONS but don't panic.
If you are a teacher at a school, if you have coworkers with compromised immune systems, be aware of them and take extra steps to not cough, sniffle and wipe your nose in their direction, not to touch their stuff, and avoid visiting their homes for now until the initial wave of the virus calms down~

Closings of schools/etc is probably not aimed toward you if you are an average adult!
Schools get shut down because let's face it, a very high percentage of younger kids in school have tiny brothers n sisters or are simply just at higher risk than a healthy 28yo themselves. People in uni are likely in North America to have older parents or older grandparents.

Schools are a HOTBED of people who do not follow basic hygiene etiquette or are so focused on studies they are prone to going to school even if sick, ignoring their own health and the health of their classmates, and they will only not attend if the schools are closed. It is quite common to close down schools or say gyms for that reason and that reason alone if nothing else.

TLDR; use common sense, try not to affect people who are at higher risk, but if you are healthy you've got nothin' to fear cept a rad flu my friend! Hopefully this makes some people feel a bit more at ease though! <3

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
USA here, one thing we're running into is due to the hard run on cleaning supplies, schools can't get enough to do basic cleaning now, so some are shutting down due to that. Kinda hard to run a school if you can't find enough TP to supply the bathrooms or cleaning supplies to disinfect things.

One thing I do wish though is that people would understand that 99% of these measures we are doing shoulda been done years ago. Basic cleaning is not rocket science, so no idea why everyone is like let's shut down and clean! Uh...why weren't you doing that before???

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I live in Japan.

We got hit pretty fast because we share boarders with China and the government didn't close the boarders early on when the Chinese New Year tourism boom happened.

I think that was a mistake. Although, I understand they didn't do it because from their perspective prioritizing the economy seemed more important.

Anyway, toilet paper is sold out here and has been for a few weeks because some rumor got around that it was going to disappear from the shelfs because of the new Corona virus. Ended up being a self fulfilling prophesy! :kaoswt:

Face masks and more importantly, hand-disinfectant alcohol, has been sold out for more than a month now. Can't get it anywhere and my personal stock is running low. Bad timing since my wife is pregnant and I don't want to bring home any nasty viruses, be it the regular flu or the Covid-19 "monster flu".

As for facts, I wouldn't trust any official numbers coming out of Japan. My wife works at one of the largest hospitals in this region which is why I know that not enough tests is being done. Basically, unless you have severe symptoms you'll not get tested. At my wife's hospital, they don't do tests at all.
It's simply not in the private hospitals interest to do tests (and most hospitals in Japan are private), and it's not really in the governments interest either since they don't want bad PR before the Olympics.

Might be my paranoia, but it seems to me that people are coughing and sneezing a bit more than usual on the jam-packed subway... which I have to ride for 2 hours every day. :kaodes:

According to the official numbers, only 3 people have tested postive in the city where I live, Fukuoka. Considering its the 7th largest city in Japan with 1.5 million people. And that it's one of the tourist hot spots also located very close to Korea (and there's a large Chinese population here too). I'd say it's impossible those numbers are even close t accurate.

I can only guess, but if I were to do so I'd guess there'd be at least 10.000 people with the virus in this city alone. Probably. Maybe more?

Am I scared? Well, not really. But I'm worried. Not for myself but for my pregnant wife and the baby. Since pregnant women is at higher risk.

joepmeloen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm from the Netherlands, and they dont do a thing here really yet while the other countries take
actions to avoid further spread. so far we have around 30 dead ppls from the virus and 250 or more
infected.

the most bullshit what they can tell if someone on old age (90+ died from the virus), it can be just
his age that makes it vital or desease what he already had.

I believe it more if they are around or between 5-40 years old, but still, if they have cancer and say he died
from corona virus, it will be bullshit. healthy peoples or business people that travels over the world for
their job makes it more believeable.

that its spreading, is noticeable, but dont put the dead on the already very weak or very old peoples head.
all countries should CLOSE their gate and contain people to travel or go to work where the infected people
are. They cant travel to other countries, even if they must go there.

If they stay in their own country till its contained and stablized, they can think further to make travels.
not sooner, but they can later for their own safety and all other peoples.
I'm also from the Netherlands and as far as I know their are 4 deaths registerred. Although it doesn't mean that there aren't more death because of Covid 19 deasese in Netherlands.

I do agree that we should be more active and take an example like the chinees, who have constraint the virus (as far as to believe the media.)

I follow dr John Campbell on his yt, very boring but very informative, about corona update as well medical stuff.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@joepmeloen

Hm... I'm not sure you should believe the media in regards to China. Because what the media is currently reporting is the statistics that China has given them (no outside investigation is allowed). And they DID cover it up at the start, that much is proven. And, well, it's "communist" China we're talking about. Not really the bestest and most humanitarian country in the world.

Don't trust the statistics blindly is all I'm saying (most likely, Covid-19 is not fully contained but they want their factories to start producing again to minimize damage to their economy).

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plus one thing to remember about medical stats is unless you test *everyone* it will always have a slight skew. The reason is you will miss all the cases of those who have it and never report it unless you do the testing.

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can only guess, but if I were to do so I'd guess there'd be at least 10.000 people with the virus in this city alone. Probably. Maybe more?
If this was the case in your city a severe symptoms peak would happen. I think national statistics are not perfect but reliable. You cannot cover deaths in a democratic country.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Serjo_Calibrato

Well, yeah. But most people (90-95%) who get the virus probably won't notice or at least won't be tested. They've currently done ~8000 tests in all of Japan as far as I know. Japan has a population of 127 million people.
Among those that have tested positive in Japan, it's been impossible to track where many have gotten it. That means there's people walking around with it that no one knows about. In a country where there are huge crowds of people everywhere and people squeeze themselves into local transportation such as the metro and buses. Combine that with the fact that it's been proven that Covid-19 can remain on surfaces for a very long time...

While I understand that it's not possible to test everyone, or even close to, 8000 tests in a country with this population is close to doing nothing. And the government even says they have the capacity to test more... if they want to:

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/05/asia/japan-coronavirus-infection-levels-hnk-intl/index.html

The fact is you can absolutely cover things up in a democratic society, to a certain degree anyway. Although I wouldn't call Japan a "true" democracy either. There's way to much corruption and money going around here, not to speak of the press's standing when compared to other countries. Japan ranks nr.67 on the worlds press freedom index (that's not great): https://rsf.org/en/ranking

Anyway, covering up deaths is probably very difficult. Covering up the numbers of infected people by avoiding to give out tests and give directions to hospitals not to do tests - not that difficult.

Buuut, I feel I'm swaying into the political here and I know I shouldn't (but this topic makes this kinda hard not to). But I'll do my best to keep it at a minimum from here on.

On the flip-side, if my speculation is correct that might mean the virus is less deadly the current statistics show. Which would be... good, I guess.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good post. I'm glad you used the proper name for it, since coronavirus is a more of a group of viruses than a specific one, like Covid-19 is. Stats that I've seen indicate no less than a 99.8% chance of surviving this virus for people with a fully functional immune system. Death is not what I fear from this virus. Rather it is the impact it will have on the economy.

Also, the best weapon against misinformation and lies is truth. The real facts must be spread. On another note, news sites like CNN, FOX News, etc are not entirely reliable sources of information on this. You're better off checking out resources from the United States CDC, and WHO (and similar organizations). They do not sensationalize their articles like news companies do.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't go to the media for your info about this sort of stuff if you don't trust them (definitely stop going to fear mongering outlets), go directly to various health organisations who are actively combating the virus and collecting data on it. WHO, for example, reports a total of just over 4000 deaths globally, which is fairly small.

Stay alert, but don't be overcome by fear and panic.

Raizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From Brazil here, it's starting to spread now, only 50 confirmed cases, but rapidly increasing.
I think from all information given, it is not as deadly as it looks, even though I still prefer to be very cautious now and not just do what I would've done before the pandemic. Mostly thinking about people on the ages that are riskier, it still is very dangerous for the elderly, so I prefer trying to avoid getting it and even more passing to more people.

That is probably the part I really think people are not being careful, they have just light symptoms and then they carelessly even if coming from highly infected areas, make family meetings right when he arrives (One of the main spreaders here in Brazil made a huge meeting the day after coming from Italy 30+ people on his house) Italy was already on 5000+ confirmed cases, like, why not think of the possibility? I would never do anything like that for the possibility of spreading it to a whole country, just wait like 10 days avoiding big crowds, it already would help a LOT. Like I just wished people who are sick cared more about others, if I have just the slightest chance of having covid-19, I will make everything possible to not spread it.

Since it is said to spread nonsymptomatic, the best way to prevent it like authorities here also said it, is that those that have the chance to take more precautions, but sadly people usually think, "I already got it, so who cares?".

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's really a shame how abysmally the media covered this. First decrying anyone who even suggested taking preventative measures as a bigot, and now saying anyone who colloquially calls it WuFlu of Wuhan Flu was one as if that's the most important thing to take away from any of this. I'm not criticizing any particular governments here, but the international response was and continues to be a joke.

I'm absolutely with Bgillisp in his exasperation here, the crap we're doing now should have already been done to begin with. Why people don't keep a few weeks of basic supplies in their pantries just as a general rule has always been beyond me. Here in the States at least there's been a longstanding taboo against prepping though, never understood it but it has always been there. People look at you askance if you suggest taking precautions against the possibility that something happens to interrupt basic services practically up to the point that that something actually happens, then let hysteria and panic drive them to act completely nuts. It's a shame.

Then there's the way China obfuscated their numbers for so long. Fun fact, they more or less stopped reporting in epicenters once it became apparent that it breached containment, and for the better part of two weeks didn't update them at all. Lots of speculation as to why that is, I for one think though it was mostly so as not to interrupt international trade, they were worried if they admitted how virulently it was spreading other countries who are heavily dependent on Chinese manufacturing (and international firms based in China) would pull out and completely tank the Chinese economy to try and curtail it before it spread further out.

I don't think it's coincidental that suddenly everyone's predictions were suddenly wrong and everything looked rosey for those two weeks and that anyone who argued otherwise or questioned why no one was calling the Chinese government out on their obvious obfuscations was decried as some sort of xenophobe. Simply put I think most governments aren't as inept as they currently look, so much as that they (they meaning our governments in general, not any specific government solely) chose to allow a possible pandemic to spread globally over trying to curtail it at the cost of crippling China's economy and sending many other countries which rely heavily on Chinese manufacturing into an instant recession.

I'm not even saying they were necessarily wrong to do so, just acknowledging that looks to be more or less what has happened in retrospect. I think personally it's an interesting example of the potential risks and dangers of our increasingly globalized infrastructure and the proliferation of a world economy where we are all connected and dependent on each other economically. It'll be interesting to observe how we proceed going forward, I'm already seeing something of a manufacturing boom in my country over all of this (an old automotive plant lying abandoned for decades is currently being converted into a surgical mask distributor by an American company whose former warehouse overseas was nationalized and seized to meet the demands of the local populous for example), of course such actions might be to little to late if the virus moves into town anytime soon and puts people into their homes.

Anyway, sorry if this is slightly off topic (or skirts too close to politics for mod comfort perhaps) but I'm far from qualified to speak to any of this medically (and have heard far to many conflicting reports all from "credible sources" to chance speaking to them and risking the misinformation) but I've been tracking the economic aspect of Covid-19's rise since before anyone started to panic over it and personally find the economic ramifications to be at least as serious overall as it's ramifications from a healthcare perspective; both of which are heavily intertwined with each other anyway.

Last edited:

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
News from Greece: Mobile broadcast of a very important message from government containing instructions to prevent huge spread of the virus both in Greek and in English.
Came along with a kinda scary Fallout-ish alarm sound, I was like WTF, but it was a good idea I guess.
Government thinks of closing fast food shops, night clubs etc etc to prevent the spreading.
People avoid public transportation.
Infected people number rise hour after hour.
Things still seem under control though.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hailing from the U.S.A here. I fully expect to get the Corona virus. I don't say this due to the media, but because of past experience. When the swine flu was making rounds, I had a "hope" that i might avoid infection, especially due to the fact that I was 5 months pregnant, which put me in the highest risk group. But alas, the way human health rules affect the working class here, people just don't have the choice sometimes to stay home from work. In addition, no school (that I know of) in the area shut down when infections were present. (In fact I did receive a letter form the school warning me of the infection spreading there, but only *after* the entire family had RECOVERED) Anyway, when I DID get sick from the swine flu, guess what?! If I didn't go to work I would lose my job... after missing TWO days in 6 MONTHS! (The third day would be termination, NO time was allowed off, for any reason)

Please forgive me for being skeptical that this place with it's dismal human rights laws is equipped to deal with this Pandemic. I have a sick feeling that the virus will find it's global foothold here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2018 joining project as scripter*
Owner "Check it out, got all the YEP plugins!!!
2020 joining project as scripter*
Owner "Sorry, I keepeaning to get rid of these..."
We just added more plugins as part of Wednesday Tea Time! Got the mouse system setup for MV/MZ!
Let's create game with RTP only, no plugin except official one..
Trying to get enough of an outline for my game to know what art needs to be made. I'm very out of practice with writing, having focused on art, and I'm realizing that I really missed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcelCoscarelli