COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tea's Jams, sorry to hear that. I hope the government would mandate a nationwide quarantine soon which is sure to make a company's release all of the employees from work.
@Ryisunique, that is true. I do not think Tea's Jam has a weak immune system.

I hope the government does a nationwide quarantine to do clean up the public area. I see China has a big success in killing the virus and also contains the virus at home.

It is nice that the card company to help people, but someone from the banks and credit card companies will give nothing answers. I guess greed is more important in any moral value to some powerful people.

The out-of-pocket costs for coronavirus treatment could be about $1300 with an employee's insurance.

I fear the aftermath of the coronavirus, any people will be in debt and overburden with medical bills.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nearly 300 dead in the UK from the outbreak. Talk of the military being deployed, 20,000 troops I've heard, throughout the nation to help in various ways (security likely being one of them) during this time.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My city is pretty much on lock down by law. Almost everything is closed unless it can't be (medical, minimum required for utilities/etc, food, that kind of stuff).

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy It's the same here. All gyms, restaurants, clubs, pubs, and other such places have been closed to help prevent, or slow down, the spread of the virus. Over 70,000 or so people have been tested, but just over 5000 of those were infected - nearly 300 of those are now dead. The government has told people to remain indoors at all times, and only venture outside if you have no other choice. It's been as silent as the grave around here this weekend. Every day will now feel like a Sunday until things begin to change. lol.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
6 o clock in the morning in Greece we get a full lockdown on Monday.

justlexi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Browsing on my newsfeed and friends story all I can see is them investing time on Tiktok. LOL

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like we're on the verge of a total lockdown because people continue to ignore social distancing advice. Pretty soon we won't be allowed to leave our homes at all, not that it'll have much of an impact on me. lol.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thought I'd post this here too. This is the most recent data from Financial Times on number of cases and number of deaths. Does anyone have any theories or explanations as to why some countries have such high mortality rate from this virus (I marked them as red) and why some are doing really well (marked in blue)? Is it to do with quality of the healthcare? Different strains of the virus? Virus behaviour in different climates? People's genetics? Maybe some data manipulation happening behind the scenes in some countries? I think these differences are very significant and are worth looking into.
Coronavirus cases 23 03 20.png

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
There are lots of different corona virus strains, but this isn't what's at play here.
The current state of things suggest that differences in mortality rates are due to healthcare system saturation. That's why everywhere is locking down.
Italy's response was notoriously late, and thus it's healthcare system was taken by surprise and a ton of deaths could have been avoided if the problem was taken seriously and social distancing had taken place.
Iran is a war zone right now, with a barebones healthcare system. Almost every critical patient will die over there, from lack of ressources.
I haven't looked into spain, but I guess the same thing happened.
The countries that do quite well for now are either at the early stages of the pandemy (France where I am, it's likely going to get much worse) or have successfully contained the virus (S. Korea most likely).

As for me, well my hospital has opened 30 more beds for covid19 patients. I've been working in one of the two units, and it's disheartening to see patients die because there's a lack of bed in intensive care units. The issue is that covid19 patients who need intensive care need it for a long time (>7days), so there's not a lot of turnover. In a week of working there I've had more deaths than in my 3 past years... This is mainly because we are taking care of patients who would require being in an ICU but were sent here due to lack of available beds.

Stay home, stay safe.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thought I'd post this here too. This is the most recent data from Financial Times on number of cases and number of deaths. Does anyone have any theories or explanations as to why some countries have such high mortality rate from this virus (I marked them as red) and why some are doing really well (marked in blue)? Is it to do with quality of the healthcare? Different strains of the virus? Virus behaviour in different climates? People's genetics? Maybe some data manipulation happening behind the scenes in some countries? I think these differences are very significant and are worth looking into.
View attachment 137624
Its simple your health service is either overwhelmed or its not. Italy, Spain, Iran and China all have high death rates because they are dealing with it longer. Take the US for example, The US has 5 times the population and many more ICU beds, but it has less ICU beds per person. Given the population it won't see death rates on a par with Italy/Iran/China until it has 5 times the number of cases Italy does give or take. Most countries on that list are 2-3 weeks behind the big 4 (China, Spain, Iran and Italy). Also its unsure if China are actually reporting accurate numbers and in Iran they don't have the testing to keep up with numbers so again that is inaccurate.

While I don't think many countries will get it as bad as Italy who kind of got caught with their pants down the death rate in those blue countries will rise as cases rise and hospitals get overwhelmed.

Germany may be an exception (Austria too) be because they are testing practically everyone and have more ICU beds per person than most countries.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...lation-per-100-000-inhabitants_fig1_229013572 - One of the most key numbers which will effect death rates, combined with no. of ventilators per person and amount of PPE available to medical staff.

Here in Ireland for example its imperative we get things right. We have about half the number of critical care beds per person Italy has. Our hospitals also enter this crisis with 95% of beds already taken, one of the highest numbers in Europe. The death rate here will literally be decided by social distancing and lockdown measure as our hospitals will be easily over run.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Matseb2611
Aww... Sweden didin't get a number?

Anyway, as a Swede (who don't live in Sweden) I follow the Swedish news and debate closely.
What I know is that when compared to it's population, Sweden has very few hospital beds (with respirators) for those severely ill. Like half of the European average amount. Luckily, the few beds Sweden has are not full of Corona cases (yet)... it seems.

The rest is up to speculation since no one knows how many cases Sweden has since there's no longer any testing being done except on the severely ill. But, I'veheard experts talking about how Sweden's limited hospital beds could be filled and overcrowded by late May so who knows. Sweden might just be a bit behind the curve is all.

As for why it doesn't kill as many people - I have no idea. A little bit of everything?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think that perhaps the mortality rate in some countries is higher than in others partly due to the number of elderly and vulnerable people in those places. This virus can be lethal to those groups of people.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For those using hand sanitizer, double check the alcohol content. A lot of commercial, and equipment suppliers have sanitizer that's only 62% alcohol. I recommend that you add a few ounces more if possible to your bottle and shake it up. 91% is best for this.

Did it to my little skull bottle that I've taken to hooking on my jeans for work.

Oh, and the reason why is because the CDC has recommended to use those with 70% alcohol.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger. Everclear is best, vodka isn't strong enough.

Honestly, the sanitizer thing's important since a lot of people can't take the time to wash their hands constantly. If I get put on a register, I'm there until lines go down. That can take 30 minutes to an hour.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ryisunique Good to know vodka isn't strong enough. Won't waste my money buying it then. xD

I agree it's important for people who, like yourself, need to keep their hands clean but can't rush off to find a sink constantly. Selfish people kept buying it all up and hoarding it, though. Haven't been out in a few days, so I have no idea if hand sanitiser is now available in the shops (there's strict product limits on a lot of things here now), but it's still out of stock on Amazon.

MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings, I'm from Chile (A slim country in south America). The situation here still fresh, but quite out of control. The firsts cases where registered at the international airport but they took good meassures in time... HOWEVER, at some point a funny little dude decided to skip them, took another plane to his home and go to a party at nearby city... so yep, that was our little international outbreak.

Since then, the less has changed, I think yesterday it was established a curfew from 22:00pm to 5:00am, and supermarkets and other small locals are either closing or using special schedules. Malls work normally, some people must keep working (not only those related to hospitals) and, airports and bus stations keep operating (the big ones atleast).

The military have been deployed for... some reason? (No, they don't help homeless people, they don't send resources and they most likely don't secure people, sometimes they are the danger).

Hospitals and other medical centers are collapsing on big regions, at this point if I get the virus its pretty much game over, the local hospital is overloaded so...

Thats the actual situation here, frontiers are closing, so atleast there's that. I don't have too much hope for this country right now... sorry for being negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarina