COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my city there are supposedly only 37 cases, however people isn't being tested unless it's already in a hospital's bed with complications, and that's the same all over my country (Mexico). This thing is going to overrun us, since people is acting stupid and yesterday they still went to the parks and such

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Situation update, Indonesia, (In my point of view)
  • The government issued a total lockdown for the office district.
  • Up to today, I need myself in the office due to the nature of my work, but eventually my office on a total lockdown as well. Not sure how is it going to turn out if I'm going to work from home, but we will see.
  • It is extended until 3 April and we have been doing this since the last week.
  • While the big companies shut, the independent store like a small civil's store seems to run their business as usual.
  • No traffic jams, expected, but it still feels like abysmal. Such a rare case you see the road is so empty in the capital area.
  • I heard that the city near my hometown, there was a whole family infected with the virus, resulting in a total lockdown in their area. Initially, they ignored the warning and traveled across the city.
  • Despite the death toll and cases inflated, everything seems under control. No over panic like it was before. Seems like people were already calmed down.
  • Although my place is the epicentre of the outbreak. The largest cases are the one near my area.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my country they just announced:
-Forbidden to be together with more than 3 people, 400 euros fine if you do
-Every even cancelled until 1 june
-Only a X amount of people allowed in shops at the same time, and no more than 1 person per family

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda : Ha, yes, I forgot to mark Sweden on that chart too. Theirs seems only 1% death rate, so along with the blue ones.

I think the healthcare problems seem like the most likely of reasons. I've heard some news yesterday and today about some problems of how the virus was handled in hospitals in Italy. Turns out some precautions were not taken, so other patients who were already in hospitals there, all got COVID-19, including most of the healthcare staff (making hospitals among the worst places to be). With most patients in hospitals being the elderly, it's easy to see what happened next. Moreover, there have been reports of hospitals in Italy assigning COVID-19 as reason for death to anyone who died in a hospital and could've been infected by it, even if they died for other reasons. So again, number of deaths got inflated.

The fast spread through population is of course a factor, but then that doesn't explain why Germany and US fared much better despite having roughly the same reported number of cases as Italy, Spain, and Iran. Saturation in hospitals makes sense, but perhaps places like Germany and US can afford to take on more people at once than Italy and Spain, so perhaps it's all about the quality of healthcare and amount of available special care units. (And of course precautions taken within the hospitals as mentioned earlier).

In other news, lockdown here. I am glad at least the government here is letting people go to work. Most families here need to be able to sustain themselves financially at this difficult time. But honestly, the economic impact all this would have is quite scary, a lot more scary than the virus. Companies are losing money, small businesses are going bust. There will be less jobs, so more unemployment. Availability of some products might also be low for some time, depending on how long the quarantine will go for. Italy and Spain will probably be facing the worst of it, since a lot of their economy depends on tourism, and after this, hardly anyone will be visiting them for at least a year (or at least there'd be a significant drop in number of tourists). Pity, because Italy is one of the most interesting countries to visit.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was just about to mention the recent lockdown here. Had to pick up a prescription of inhalers (asthma) and psych-meds today. It was so weird having to go around the back of the chemist, and being served by people in masks, gloves, and aprons. It was also strange, and a lil' funny, seeing people forming queues with at least 6 feet of space between everyone. lol.

This isolation and avoidance that is so new and alien to many is normality to me. Avoiding people, crossing the street when I see strangers approaching, barely lreaving my home - just another day at the office for me.

The peace and quiet is a nice change of pace, though. The city hasn't been this quiet in, well, forever. xD

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Humans are actually getting worse. State is now under a stay at home unless necessary. Someone tried strangling a check out host because they had 5 things of TP. I'm in a smaller store as well.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ryisunique That's terrible! Here you can only buy 2 bags\packets of toilet paper per customer. Bloody hoarders.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One here. still running out.

Astel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Super markets are allowing just one client per family, no kids, and you have to maintain a certain distance between customers at checkout. Still, plenty of people trying to ignore the rules...

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My wife is currently off work with pay, which is good of the company she works for. She's started doing driving instacart orders too (grocery delivery). Honestly in the US if you are hurting for money, driving grocery deliveries is a pretty decent gig right now.

Kilravok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Today, I received an automated sms from the government, finalising what the newspaper reports have been leading up to: The country is under curfew, stay at home or else!
I have no problem with staying at home on my own, even for weeks on end. But it has always been MY choice. I know, it is only psychological and nothing has really changed about my lifestyle, but being told by the government, I am not allowed to leave the house, under threat of police action if I do, makes the walls close in on me.

Services that are allowed to stay open, like banks, groceries, etc have drastic restrictions on their services and policies. They claim to be about protecting the staff, but I doubt it. At the bank, everybody has been forced onto those self-service terminals because all the manned service counters are closed, allegedly to protect the staff, so that they don't have to touch other people's money. But they have no problem to walk up to me and get into my personal space when they notice I am having problems with that self-service computer. They are concerned about touching other people's money, but not about using the touch screen of that terminal, that hundreds of others have used without gloves. If they were really concerned about not touching things, they would have bene issues latex gloves. The banks would have given them at least a minimum of protective gear, they would at the very least be wiping down the touch screens with surgical spirits or sanitizers after use. Non of that happens.

I have no doubts the virus and death reports are real. I am not that much of a nutjob to believe its all fake news. But I believe, the governments are using the crisis to force through their social engineering experiments. If people don't revolt under the new restrictions, banks can save a lot of money by not having employ customer facing staff; if we are happy to stay at home and do all your shopping online, not only can stores close down all shops and emply only drivers and warehouse staff, but also the nation can go 100% digital currency which grants the powers that be massively greater control and power over our spending, up to and including locking political dissidents or members of oppositional parties out from taking part in the economy; I believe, the authorities are using the situaton to gauge how much governmental overreach the pople will put up with before the streets get filled with torches and pitch forks.

Or maybe I am just reading too much into things and the government is just merely responding in their usual ham-fisted manner, penalising the masses with knee-jerk reactions to deal with the few darwin awards contestants that go out of their way to deliberately get and spread the virus?

Astel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
People just isn't listening... they are so stubborn that if the public force has to be used to keep people indoors, so be it. No, the forced quarantine is not perfect, but it's the only tool we have left since people is acting stupid and acting like this is a holiday.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, every time I hear someone insinuate that I'm murdering people for walking my dog, I want to just walk him again. I get all the dumb teenagers going around drinking out of each other's asses (literally, disgustingly) going along like it is spring break as usual yeah, curfews are great. Shut down all the services, hell ban alcohol sales for all I care. But all this murder hysteria because people feel they need to breath fresh air every now and then...you aren't going to convince anyone. If you think cops should stick guns in their faces and force them back inside then I guess, so be it. Seems a little nuts to me, and I don't think such actions are going to end well if we're truly in this thing for the next two months, then reinstating all over again come the fall like most experts are currently saying.

cotodigital

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quarantine here in Argentina will be extended until April 12 and probably end of April. I'm going to go insane with social isolation. I live alone and it's just me and my cat surviving making games and stuff.
On top of that I work from home so I can only go out to buy groceries.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Most places are allowing you to take walks, as long as you keep 6 feet from others. Seems to have worked well where I lived. When I went out to lap my parking lot I was the only person out there even.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was more talking to people online, getting indignant and hyperbolic but blanketly. Honestly probably shouldn't have mentioned it, no one on here are the people who have me at my wits end on the subject, I just happened to check in here specifically to get away from the ones that were only to see the same topic popping up, kinda.

Really I've just been having a weird day, and I apologize for being unnecessarily snappy over it.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's now advice at the federal level that anyone who has visited NY (my state) should self quarantine for 14 days.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The same advice was given for anyone coming back from Florida as well around here.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not surprised, so many retired new yorkers retire to Florida, it's a like a second NY. :LZSlol:

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Italy, diary of the quarantine day ??
After three weeks (maybe, I don't remember) of quarantine I don't know anymore what day it is. The couch and me are a single being now, but the mood is quite good. The sanction was about 200 euros when all this started, now the government set it to 3000. The things went from bad to worse and we become the country with more deaths, but at least we felt again the sense of being a country. However the number of new cases seems to slowly decreases and we starting to see a spark of light. It's strange to see that the rest of the world it's starting the lock-down only now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Variable testing. If you're poor they're not a fan.
if you want learn free cool stuff for game dev .
Your jumping works great, self. Now onward! Let's add to some of those dungeon tilesets that are looking a tad sparse.
Gotta vent a minute: "Move routes" have been unintuitive and clunky since the 90's and I absolutely cannot believe there is no built-in functionality to direct an event to an x, y coordinate. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I watched a local Amish community hold a cart and buggy presidential rally that passed by my worksite this afternoon and it really got me thinking...how do the Amish keep up with national news?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteMage