COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, here in mexico I haven't really seen this "toilet paper madness" but food is already scarce in the super markets, they have limited the quantity per client, but people still tries to cheat bringing several other people with them.

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This seems a legit "live" feed of what is going on globally

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just want to chime in and say that I hope everyone on these forums (and their friends and family) are taking extra care of themselves.. be sure to rest and relax as much as possible. Stay home as much as possible. wash your hands.. all that stuff. It's hard to be on lock down, but there are much worse things out there.

That being said: I am in Washington State (Seattle area), USA.
My gig as a farmer is pretty well isolated anyway, and my animals are loving the extra time I have at home to spend with them. However, I also work as a home care aide for vulnerable adults. My rural little island is filled with vulnerable adults (the median age is 55 here of our small 10K population). We are essentially all self-quarantined from mainland WA. This is is particularly stressful for me, because I am sure I am young enough and healthy enough to ward off any illness if I were to contract Coronavirus.. but I am taking extra extra precautions because if I were carrying it, I could easily spread it to my clients, neighbors, etc.

It's very hard to be isolated in more than one way. On an island.. in the home.. and yet still be required to perform my job around vulnerable adults.

I am grateful to be a part of this community of nerds on the forums and glad that I have RPGMakers to also help keep my mind occupied. Please, everyone, stay safe and be cautious. :)

** Pic to cheer ya up!! :) **
-MIA

Attachments

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OH! A Lamb! How cute~!

On a not so cute note. There was a meeting today at my wife's hospital and apparently, they're no going to accept Covid-19 positive people. My wife has ~6 work days left to do before she're allowed to go on maturity leave. Man...I really don't want my wife to be around a bunch of confirmed Corona positive people when she's pregnant.

The cases reported in Japan are slowly rising as well. But like my co-worker said. Japan is a sneaky country and I wouldn't trust the statistics too much. Probably a bunch of people dead of "lung related diseases" that has not been properly tested during this past month(s).

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is getting passed around my FB feed, figured I'd share it here:

Doctors are reporting they now understand the behavior of the COVID 19 virus due to autopsies that they have carried out. This virus is characterized by obstructing respiratory pathways with thick mucus that solidifies and blocks the airways and lungs. So they have discovered that in order to apply a medicine you have to open and unblock these airways so that the treatment can be used to take effect however all of this takes a number of days. Their recommendations for what you can do to safeguard yourself are ...

1) Drink lots of hot liquids - coffees, soups, teas, warm water. In addition take a sip of warm water every 20 minutes bc this keeps your mouth moist and washes any of the virus that’s entered your mouth into your stomach where your gastric juices will neutralize it before it can get to the lungs.
2) Gargle with an antiseptic and warm water like vinegar or salt or lemon every day if possible
3) The virus attaches itself to hair and clothes. And detergent or soap kills it but you must take bath or shower when you get in from the street. Avoid sitting down in your home and go straight to the shower. If you cannot wash your clothes daily, hang them in sunlight which also helps to neutralize the virus
4) Wash metallic surfaces very carefully bc the virus can stay viable on these for up to 9 days. Take note and be vigilant about touching hand rails, door knobs, etc. and keep these clean in home home
5) Don’t smoke
6) Wash your hands every 20 minutes with any soap that foams and do this for 20 seconds
7) Eat fruits and vegetables. Try to elevate your zinc levelS
8)Animals do not spread the virus to people. Its a person to person transmission.
9)Try to avoid getting the common flu as this already weakens your system and try to avoid eating and drinking any cold things.
10) If you feel any discomfort in your throat or a sore throat coming on, attack it immediately using the above methods. The virus enters the system through the throat but will sit in the throat for 3-4 days before it passes into your lungs.
In addition ...
Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A question for the Americans (I mean USA): I watch the John Oliver's show "Last week tonight". He's describing a horrible situation with the state highly unprepared to the epidemic. In your opinion it's really so? I didn't understand if all the state are in lock-down or in same state people can still go around. I don't want to get political, I imagine John Oliver's show can be pretty divisive.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an American, it's safe to say that 95% of what you hear or see on a show like John Oliver is total BS. I would say that on the federal level our government was very prepared and made some good decisions with the information they had. However, on a state and local level, some balls were dropped. In New York state/city for example, the local leaders were still going on TV/Facebook/Twitter and telling people it's okay to attend parades and to go see a movie all the way into early March. Now New York is arguably the worst off state in the US in terms of COVID-19 issues. Ultimately though I would say the world can blame the China government for lying to all of us and trying to hold back how bad the COVID-19 really was/is.

EDIT: I think 30 or so states have stay-at-home orders, some major cities do for sure, but mostly the local governments are saying use caution and social distancing. I think only Hawaii has gotten really serious and threatened jail time for people who don't stay at home. Also, "non-essential" businesses have been forced to close for probably the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Be careful not to let your hopes get up too high, because the long incubation stage of the coronavirus can sneak up on analysts.

I'm predicting a significant spike in infections and mortalities for the United States within the next week or two due to the Spring Breakers entering their last days of incubation, and the hospitals running short on supplies and staff.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess we'll see. Originally I think some science guys were saying they expect 2.2 million Americans to die from the virus. Today Trump was saying somewhere around 200K people may die, and yesterday Fauci was saying somewhere over 100K.

Currently the US death toll is just over 2100 according to CDC last night. I just hope we find ways to help people that will for sure work. Any deaths to this virus are too many.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently realized that the chances of me having had and recovered from Covid-19 already are above zero. That is, I had many symptoms of it for about 2 weeks but I thought nothing of it since my area had yet to be put into a state of emergency, and I have not traveled out of the area at all in the past year or so.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Serjo_Calibrato It is almost impossible to answer your question there without blatantly breaking this forums rules regarding politics. I will attempt to do so, but probably fail.

Unfortunately politics in the US have been increasingly partisan in recent years, and let us just say a large portion of the US media apparatus more or less wear that badge on their sleeves. You'll rarely see them outright lie, but they often deliberately mislead and constantly try to shift blame towards their partisan adversaries while shading their compatriots from criticisms.

Because of this, the view that you will see from the outside looking in regarding our news media is...heavily skewed at best. Because they try to caricaturize their political opposition and entrap them whenever possible, even if that means putting out largely misleading and sometimes even contradictory information to the public. Again, I'll not get into any specifics here (I've been fussed at enough already, don't want to push it) but if you are curious I'd be happy to have a more candid discussion via private message.

What I would recommend to anyone consuming said media, or really, any country's media, is never just trust the context in which they present things outright, especially when the subject of their criticism comes off as a caricature rather than a person. Oftentimes if you go back and listen to the full context of what was said in such situations you will realize that the media reporting is woefully lacking, and sometimes maliciously misleading once you understand the full context of the conversation in question.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A question for the Americans (I mean USA): I watch the John Oliver's show "Last week tonight". He's describing a horrible situation with the state highly unprepared to the epidemic. In your opinion it's really so? I didn't understand if all the state are in lock-down or in same state people can still go around. I don't want to get political, I imagine John Oliver's show can be pretty divisive.
Yes and No.

(I'm sorry if this sounds or presents as political. I'm trying to present straight facts that led into the current situation. Unfortunately, it might still be politically tainted.)

Federal level, those in charge of the Pandemic Response team left in '18 and were never replaced. Trump has tried to cut key parts of the CDC that Congress had to restore in funding bills that he then signed. There was also the story of Congressmen, women, and Representatives finding out about this that then went and sold stocks when told about the virus in late January and early February instead of informing anyone.

The state level is dependent. Places that have had large amounts of cases or a clear epicenter of activity are starting to lock down. Most states are not under full out lockdowns. Mine is at a stay at home, which means you can go out for: work, grocery shopping, food pickup, and walking the dog and or yourself. There are still people out, as much as they can be. I, unfortunately, have seen larger families in the stores, while also seeing people by themselves and people that I have never seen in because they've had to come in and get things. Other states have declared martial law to keep people from going out.

The problem isn't entirely the government's fault. There are still plenty of people all over not taking this seriously, going out and potentially infecting more. China had been trying to hide this at the very beginning. I don't think many countries that are now dealing with this never thought about, and therefore never prepared, for this event. They knew it in theory, but not in actual practice.

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I find strange this freedom given to the single country. This means that if one of the 51 governors of the US states adopt bland control measures the epidemic will go on for more months... However I hope the most optimistic death estimation will be the right one. But 100.000 deaths is still a tremendous number. My girlfriend came from one of Italian city with more deaths (I don't have the exact numbers but is something like 2.000 deaths on 150.000 inhabitants) and for a personal perspective is tremendous, every family has at least one death and three or four sick people.

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I heard somewhere that we'll soon be facing a shortage in food supply cause I guess the food production/delivery system is breaking down. And therefore we should start stocking up on food. That can't be true right?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There has been unprecedented amounts of food waste due to people hoarding food. Pretty much everyone in the food production/distribution business that I've talked to has pretty much said if people would stop crazily hoarding food and just go back to buying what they need, then the food market would go back to normal after a couple of weeks.

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
There has been unprecedented amounts of food waste due to people hoarding food. Pretty much everyone in the food production/distribution business that I've talked to has pretty much said if people would stop crazily hoarding food and just go back to buying what they need, then the food market would go back to normal after a couple of weeks.
Seriously this is still going on all this time especially with the toilet paper/hand sanitizer shortage. I'm just not surprised by this but some people don't seem to listen sadly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone have advice for recruiting friends to bugtest with you? I had some buddies volunteer without me asking, and we agreed on dates and times... and they all just flaked...
A mousefolk sprite I made, I think I did good.
Discovering math. functions for damage formulas was one of the greatest things for me.
It's very useful for balancing skills to work in a variety of possible circumstances.
For example if you have a skill that is supposed to work for both mages and warriors:
Code:
Math.max(a.atk * 2 - b.def, a.mat * 2 - b.mdf)
SpaceX: First-ever successful (manned) commercial spaceflight!! In these terrible and self-sabotaging times for the world, that's a ray of excitement and hope I needed badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhikhurana