COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There has been unprecedented amounts of food waste due to people hoarding food. Pretty much everyone in the food production/distribution business that I've talked to has pretty much said if people would stop crazily hoarding food and just go back to buying what they need, then the food market would go back to normal after a couple of weeks.
I think it's smart to have enough food stored for at least 2 weeks, even if there is no need for that, you will eat it sooner or later anyway. Of course you have to be smart and know what to buy (canned food and other dry foods), people hoarding toiler paper was quite absurd.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's likely that a few people don't have the room to do that. Or they don't know how to cook.

Also, I wish people would go back to buying things as normal because it's getting harder for me to get stuff to either eat at lunch or take home for supper.

Astel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's likely that a few people don't have the room to do that. Or they don't know how to cook.

Also, I wish people would go back to buying things as normal because it's getting harder for me to get stuff to either eat at lunch or take home for supper.
The thing is... we don't know what will happen. Things are quite "normal" for now, but we just don't know.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There has been unprecedented amounts of food waste due to people hoarding food. Pretty much everyone in the food production/distribution business that I've talked to has pretty much said if people would stop crazily hoarding food and just go back to buying what they need, then the food market would go back to normal after a couple of weeks.
When I went on my weekly shopping trip last Friday, I felt like maybe this was finally starting to happen in our area. At least, it seemed that, while certain things were still out, I was surprised to be able to easily find others. Maybe that is also because I went on a weekday and not a weekend.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah it blows my mind the kinds of things that are short. Milk, bread, and all kinds of meat have been the worst. Anyone who wants to sensibly stock up on bags of rice, pasta, canned goods and all of the stuff that you can actually keep in your pantry for weeks and even months at a time in case we actually have that supply chain interruption everyone is hoarding against to little to late are in luck as these are largely untouched in my area. Yes those shelves are a little lighter than usual too but it's stupid crap like milk and ground beef that I've seen actually go bare, I can believe that a lot of it is getting thrown out, how the hell do you further preserve milk? How many people actually have a deep freezer for that matter to store all that meat? People are dumb, if you wanna prep there is plenty of information out there on how to do it successfully, but apparently most people would rather just hoard milk and deli meat.

In more personal news I have a cough, so I'm banned from work. Maybe it really is the virus, though I probably just have the same allergies I get every year around this time. In any case the dirty looks I got the last couple days every time I so much as cleared my throat made it clear, all that overtime was fun while it lasted at least.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It probably depends on the area. Here where I am little is low unless you want Ramen or Spam. We even got TP in finally.

Now if you insist on getting a certain brand of food item you might discover it is out, but if you don't care and just want that item, then it is usually in stock somewhere.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
how the hell do you further preserve milk?
You take out 1-2 tablespoons and freeze it. A lot of people have larger freezers and possibly more than one in my area due to hunting deer and bears.

Honestly, the food buying in my area started when schools got shut down. A lot of people had to get food for their kids and teens for 2-3 meals and plenty of snacks. I'm not sure if stuff like that is gonna go to waste.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We can all stop panicking now because someone has finally solved the toilet paper crisis! Not sure why it took a lawyer, in fact I'm not sure whether he really solved anything or is just going stir crazy cooped up with the kids all day but screw it! We're all in desperate need of a little heart-warming levity here I think.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Same principle, add a little ignorance and you got natural selection pick people to get infected by flu! If you are diagnosed that you are infected by COVID-19, stay calm, follow the doctor's orders and wear masks. Wearing the mask makes you a responsible human being and helps to stop the spreading. If you are NOT diagnosed as infected though, wearing a mask does NOT protect you 100% versus COVID-19, and it puts you into the danger of inhaling what you exhale and breath the air of a very limited space near your mouth. Think before you act or flu will come faster to you.
You bolded the wrong section. Follow your doctor's orders is the key part. If they tell you to wear masks then wear masks the way they tell you to.
Pointing this part out because wearing masks from hearsay may be irresponsible even if it does make you feel responsible. If your wear masks wrongly you can end up increasing the infectious pressure on you.

While the virus is spread out across the world the situation is not equal everywhere. Stay updated and follow the recommendation by your local health authorities.

Hope you all stay healthy
*e-hugs*

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You bolded the wrong section. Follow your doctor's orders is the key part. If they tell you to wear masks then wear masks the way they tell you to.
Tell you what. You are right! If the doc tells you to do that, then do it.
The reason I didn't bolded that is because i gave it as a directive and I wanted to focus on the mask panic. EVERYONE those days in Greece, I mean, EVERYONE was wearing masks for no reason. Doctors said on the TV do not use them, still stupidity prevails. Now after the days of the panic it sounds stupid. That was the context though. :)
But that doesn't mean that following doctors orders shouldn't at least been bolded too.
Nice catch!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EVERYONE those days in Greece, I mean, EVERYONE was wearing masks for no reason. Doctors said on the TV do not use them, still stupidity prevails. Now after the days of the panic it sounds stupid. That was the context though. :)
To be fair, coronavirus is not the only thing for people to worry about. It's not like the flu, allergies, or the cold have gone into hiding while COVID-19 is being fought against. Flu season has probably already peaked but hasn't completely ended.

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes! Indeed. That's why wearing a mask is most of the time stupid. You might endanger yourself more than protecting yourself.

Meanwhile Greek Government helps us by giving us some money because we got no jobs to go because of the incident. Not that this is cool though. It's bullcrap. But still better than nothing.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow
I wouldn't say it's stupid? Where's your facts to back this up?

I'm not saying they're some magical defense barrier that'll block everything, but I'm convinced it's marginally better to wear one then to not do so. And, here's the kicker, if everyone (or most people) in society wears one then that means even those infected without knowing it will also be wearing one.

On a national scale, that might actually help a lot.

Astel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes! Indeed. That's why wearing a mask is most of the time stupid. You might endanger yourself more than protecting yourself.

Meanwhile Greek Government helps us by giving us some money because we got no jobs to go because of the incident. Not that this is cool though. It's bullcrap. But still better than nothing.
And just now the CDC recommends that EVERYONE use a mask, any kind of mask, even an old shirt if you have nothing else. Even you are feel fine, you could have the virus and spread it by merely talking (you can spit tiny droplets while you talk to someone).

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda
If everyone uses masks there aren't enough for the ones that really need them, like nurses and doctors in the hospitals. This mask things are gone crazy. In open space the mask is practically useless unless you sneeze around and prices are skyrocketing. My girlfriend some days ago was forced to buy one mask to enter in the drugstore, and they sell them at more than 4 euros...

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Serjo_Calibrato
That's a straw-man and besides the point. The point is that IF everyone could/would wear a mask it would help. Obviously, we have to prioritize with what we got. Same way with respirators. It would be best if everyone who needed one got one but if there isn't enough... then there isn't enough and we have to make hard decisions.
However, the fact that we lack masks has nothing to do with how effective or not they are. I still say if you have one, wear one. Or, cover your nose and food-hole in some other way. In fact, if it's feasible, cover as much of your face and body as you can and take of those dirty cloths before you enter your apartment and go straight into the shower. That helps.

Also, what nurses and doctors need isn't mainly your average face mask. They need certified N95 masks or masks of adequate standard. A simple face mask is what they might be wearing while operating to avoid the spread germs. Not what they should wear while treating victims of a contagious disease.

As for the steep price you're talking about. The reason we all can't buy face-masks and hand sanitizes (for less than an arm and a leg), is because of the Daigou .
I think all countries should put up restrictions on export on essential medical supplies in these times, as well as limiting the amount any individual can buy. And enforce this by demanding you to show identifications so you can't easily scam the system.

As a footnote, here in Japan "everyone" always wears masks all the time and there's never any shortage of supplies for the hospitals, or civilians. See, if some people weren't so god da*n greedy we could all wear masks and have hand sanitizer to clean our hands with too.

Last edited:

Serjo_Calibrato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even IF everyone could stay one mile away from every other human beings this will help, but is not possible. In the same way if everyone uses masks will help but this is not possible. I think the best thing to do is to use mask only where they are needed, i.e. when you're in close space with lot of people. A lot of masks are disposable, I don't think the home production will be enough for a lot of states.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay. Okay. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sound super condensending here.

In the US, we were told that wearing a mask wouldn't help unless it was a n95 as that was the only type able to filter the virus out the air. All others were only to stop the spread. I may have been the only one paying attention.

Now, Japan has roughly a third of the population of the US who, as a whole, already wear masks as part of a daily routine. Your stores and suppliers are equipped to handle this. The US isn't. Aside from the cancer patients/immune-compromised that may need them, a large chunk of the population doesn't use them regularly. The first round was to stop people from bulk buying and putting supplies at risk. Which people still did and put hospitals at risk, which they still are.

The US are right now a panicky bunch of humans that are overcompensating for everything going on. Stock up for 2-3 weeks? Stock up for 2-3 months. Buy masks? Buy all the masks! We've also had scalpers buying things up to get money off of vulnerable humans and businesses.

I myself am not wearing a mask. I work at Wal-Mart. My Mom works at Wal-Mart. I am likely to be exposed no matter what I do. People don't cover their noses. They take them off to talk, to cough. Kids are still sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths.

Also, I can't stand the feeling of something over my mouth and nose. My glasses get fogged up. The best thing, in my mind, is to start strictly enforcing stay at home partial lockdowns. One person in the store when necessary, please don't bring kids.

Sorry about the rant.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plus here you can't even buy masks, they are out of stock everywhere. So telling everyone to wear one isn't going to happen no matter what just due to lack of supply.

On another note, I decided to run the math on # of deaths in the USA at the moment. On April 9th I got over 22,000 (more than the flu this year at that point), and by April 30th over a million. Though on a plus side the model has to break down somewhere as I also got that by May 30th 630 million Americans would be dead, which is double the US population. So it has to stop by May 30th one way or the other!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Jumping and gravitation 0.1 build - RPG Maker MV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Rylo