COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, you can buy masks online. It just took time for delivery. I think people should have something to cover their mouths to protect themselves. However, may you please leave super expensive medical masks to the medical community. People who do not care they really do not care. They will be caught on your face. Please buy non-perishable foods as much as possible. Again the problem is overstocking because eventually, they can share with multiple members of their family and neighborhood. However, many people I see Ebay sellers are taking advantage of the situation and create artificial scarcity to force people to take hight prices of the essential products.

Serious messages aside:
I am already past the first stage. Now. I am in the second stage: angry at both local, state,s and federal politicians for playing games instead of listening to scientists and data.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not just food people are buying in bulk, it's also weird stuff like tins of shoe polish. What are they doing with that?

My local shop, which was completely bare a few weeks ago, now has its shelves refilled. Managed to get everything I wanted last week.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A tiger at the Bronx Zoo in NYC apparently tested positive for COVID-19.

If common pets can also catch and transmit the virus, this could increase the possibility of an additional wave of infections after the current outbreak flattens everywhere.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger, I told you. It is not they keep it at their home. They sell it online. Not it is not weird stuff. They are trying to make excessive money out of this crisis.

@Storyteller-Hero, poor tiger. So you think it is mutated quickly. That could be scary because not just humans get it but innocent animals.

Last edited:

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's not just food people are buying in bulk, it's also weird stuff like tins of shoe polish. What are they doing with that?

My local shop, which was completely bare a few weeks ago, now has its shelves refilled. Managed to get everything I wanted last week.
Personally I use it to fill in the bald spot on my head.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ryisunique
I actually do think Japans standardized mask-wearing has helped stop the spread here to some degree. That or something else must be at play because:

1) Japan got the virus waaaay before Europe or the US.
2) Japan is very densely populated and the buses and subways are swamped with people.
3 Japan has not put many restrictions in place. Most people are still required to go to work and cafes, bars and restaurants are (mostly) open.
4) Up until now Japan just reports ~3500 infected and 84 deaths. The total population is 126.8 million.

Well. I don't really trust the official data since it suddenly started rising after they postponed the Olympics (go figure). But, we still seems to be doing way better the a lot of other countries that has a lot more restrictions in place. Makes you wonder why.

As for the masks. They might have helped a bit but they've been sold out for months now. Soon the Japanese population will be maskless as well. I'd give it a month or so.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
We see doctors and nurses wear masks, so it is natural we want wear masks as well wanting to protect ourselves.

Clean masks reduce the contamination risk, yes, and to varying degrees depending on the type of mask. But… how long does the mask stay clean? Can you reuse a mask, or should it be thrown in the trash bin after the first usage? Also, if you wear a mask, which type would be the most appropriate to use?

In my jurisdiction doctors are for example only allowed to wear a FFP3 mask up to at most 3 hours per shift by law. We cannot conclude from this though that any type of masks should be worn for less than 3 hours.

My local guideline is to not wear masks when you go for a walk or go shopping so I don't. If you have any symptoms, then stay at home. If you need to get hospitalized with a suspicion of corona then you get to wear surgical mask.
This is just a part of the guidelines in my area at the time of this writing. They could easily be different where you, my reader, is located.

If after reading topic:
  • You feel that you should wear a mask when going outside, then know that is wrong.
  • You feel that you should not wear a mask when going outside, then know that is wrong.
  • You feel you should check up on what your local health authorities recommend, then know that is correct.

*hugs*

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I don't exclusively listen to what the local health authorities says. I try to get information from all over the world, and see what the combined most sensible recommendations are.

Take Sweden for example, my home country. I wouldn't trust the local health authorities there as far as I could throw them. Just looking at the available statistics one can easily see that Sweden has FAILED miserably at handing this crisis. And when reading the recommendations and how they've changed and revised them and tried to shift the blame for not acting sooner (you'd have to know Swedish to be able to get the whole picture)... it's a mess - and no one is willing to take responsibility!

I also don't have any trust for WHO who's obviously greatly influenced by China. Not saying there aren't good people working there, or that all their recommendations and information is bad. Just that I can't trust them anymore when it's so blatantly obvious they're in the pocket of such bad actors.

If I had to pick a single source of information it would probably be the U.S. CDC, not because they're necessarily the best but because I don't know how trustworthy other countries health authorities are.

But then again, I don't have to settle for one source and neither should anyone else. Just be careful and check what's being said by comparing it to what others say.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with @Parallax Panda. The local health authorities are changing their mind so quick and you should use the internet and do your own research because the news is super quick. Last week, it is ok for going to the beach. Now it is not ok. Last week, it is ok not to wear a mask. Now, you recommend wearing the mask. However, it took a month or two for us ordinary citizens to get a mask on online delivery.

For you, since you live in Japan:

I also don't have any trust for WHO who's obviously greatly influenced by China.
I do not trust WHO too, but I do not think WHO is control by China. Again sometimes Non-Gov and Gov agree to downplay narrative to make people less panic. That is probably their objective.

It is like I said: "I also don't have any trust for WHO who's obviously greatly influenced by the US. "
Sometimes, a liar is telling the truth. People who seem honest tell a lie. I agree with your fact-finding methods. That is why I can look at different both foreign and domestic news. Also, I look into a different political spectrum to make sure that they did not patter to a particular self-serving ideology.

@Zeriab, please wear a mask if you are going to crowded places. Unless you would like to play a risk game. If you are going to walk about your neighborhood [If it is not crowded and people there is practice social distancing]. I just keep a distance.

Last edited:

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plus here you can't even buy masks, they are out of stock everywhere. So telling everyone to wear one isn't going to happen no matter what just due to lack of supply.
They are not asking you to wear a medical grade mask, just use whatever you have. A bandana, a scarf, a towel, an old shirt... whatever can stop or reduce saliva droplets when you speak, sneeze, or cough.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My plan was just to build a circle of spinning blades that extended 6 feet out from me. I figured that would keep people from approaching.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Which clown mask? I had like four for sale at Halloween last year.

Edit: I wanna wear my old Scream mask.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ryisunique OMG! The Scream mask would be perfect. No half measures though, you also need to wear the black robes. Imagine doing your grocery shopping wearing that. lol.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wanna wear it at work. Imagine the Ghostkiller with a Wal-Mart vest.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm starting to wonder how necessary these quarantine directives really are. From what I hear through the news and updates and my own digging online, no body is 100% sure of exactly how COVID-19 spreads. Sure, there are lots of theories that make sense; however, it spreads easier than what they all say to us on TV.

For instance, a small town in New York state has been quarantined for over a month. They did a blood drive the other day, and 40% of the people who showed up tested positive but were asymptomatic.

I've heard reports that people in an apartment building somehow contracted COVID-19 from a neighbor who lived two floors up. They speculate the virus traveled through the plumbing system. SARS infected people in the same way.

In the US, the overall directive for quarantine is to stay home, unless you're going to grocery store to buy food. Obviously some places are more lax than others. Mostly in the US, though, "non-essential" businesses have been closed for at least the next month or so. So you are telling people "don't go to work because you could spread the virus, but it's okay to go to Walmart and shop". The **** you say!?

This makes no sense to me. I can understand 'stay at home' directives if we 100% for sure knew it was going to work; however, we do not know that this will work. The US will never completely shut people into their homes. Too many people live alone. People would starve and die from any number of things that could happen when you isolate someone for too long. Local health organizations expect 30% our youngest generation to develop PTSD over the quarantine issue, over 92K people to have suicidal thoughts over this issue, and over 12K people to attempt suicide within the next 12 months. Drug abuse and overdose is expected to rise exponentially due to financial stress and unemployment. Over 17 million people in the US are now unemployed, the most that there has ever been.

The government is crippling the economy right now, and I'm not hearing any solutions to solve the issue. I'm tired of hearing "we need to stay home for the next few months". This, so far, is not working. In this case, the solution is rapidly becoming worse than the problem.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@HumanNinjaToo : The apartment one makes sense actually as most of those share the same heating and cooling ducts, so the infected air probably recirculated into the other apartments. At least where I live that would be true, as we can often smell each other's cooking due to the way the ducts are connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Learning C on the side to support Haxe.
Imagine having a different opinion on the internet.
Crazy.
Here's the one that flee from no foe, the brave Sir Kiwival! Also protagonist of my current project.

This is the cover art of new game, "Primordial Essence".
I'm amazed at the performance increase I saw in just going through and rescoping the variables in other people's plugins that I'm using. You know what that means? :LZSexcite:
//Tosses more absurd stuff onto the game of "Jenga" that is his RM project.
:rheh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koth707