COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo : The apartment one makes sense actually as most of those share the same heating and cooling ducts, so the infected air probably recirculated into the other apartments. At least where I live that would be true, as we can often smell each other's cooking due to the way the ducts are connected.
Yes. And many people who live in large cities live in some kind of apartment complex. Since they are saying that expect the COVID-19 to remain active and viable in the air for a longer amount of time than they what they first thought, any place that shares ventilation or plumbing creates exposure risk.

Of course, this is why you should never use a hand-dryer in any bathroom and always close the toilet lid when you flush.

On a more positive note, I read an article that claims they have more understanding of how COVID-19 affects and kills a person. It essentially robs the hemoglobin of its ability to carry O2 throughout the blood stream. This is why hydroxychloroquine is working to at least stop the damage the virus is doing. While it is an antibacterial and doesn't treat the virus per se, it does stop the life-ending effect the virus has on the hemoglobin.

EDIT: Also, taking zinc is supposed to help neutralize the damage done by large, toxic amounts of iron build-up in the bloodstream, due to the damage being caused to the function of the hemoglobin.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, you are correct that COVID-19 is the same family of SAR according to CDC and how they predict the virus's behavior. The US government lets our shopping and buying, so we do not die from starvation during the quarantine. The grocery stores are taking preventive actions near my neighborhood such as 10 people are allowed to in the store. Some have taps to show a distance of how far you need to start away from each other.

Quarantine did not work because of people caught at others. That was the certain politician stand that it is ok to just keep the crowned business working because economic boom will cure the COVID-19. However, tech business, food delivery, and non-touching businesses are still running.

Many people in positions of power forget or willfully ignore it. If all of us are dying, who will grow economic back?

That is terrible that people have to live in a dangerous place. Sorry and sad that they can leave that place.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
*deep breaths* *exhale*

The quarantine measures would work if people followed them. And a good majority of people that have the ability to follow that are not doing so.

I've seen parents still coming with kids. Whole families. People still making daily trips. Certain businesses and work places are still not doing enough to protect workers.

The guidelines work. California, a state with quite the population, has 14,000 confirmed cases and 343 deaths. Compare that to Michigan, 17,000 confirmed cases and 720+ cases. What is California doing better? Staying at home. Lots of rich people able to do so. Michigan has a good chunk of poor that can't stay home due to work.

Honestly, my work should limit people that come into the store and start watching those coming in every day. Also going the home improvement store route and banning children would work.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo Yes, the disease can spread if people are going to the store. But people can't not go to the store. The government can't say, you can't go get food. The point of closing non-essential businesses is not to completely stop the spread. That's not possible. The point is to slow the spread, so that hospitals can better deal with the critically ill. The point is to hopefully prevent what has happened in Italy from happening here - and that is getting to a point of deciding which people are going to be denied help and left to die.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just found a video about my own city, which show how shocking and sad this is for all of us. For reference Monterrey is the biggest industrial city in all Mexico. The streets are always packed with cars, with a very busy nightlife, now all seems to have stopped.

It feels like a bad hollywood film, to be honest.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan That's on line with what I'm saying. The US will never be able to prevent people from going to the store because people need essentials. So what's the point in closing up all the businesses when people are still congregating at Walmart or any other grocery store. Most "essential" businesses that are open are already taking measures to limit the number of people in the store, telling the people to stay distant from others, where masks, clean when you get home, etc. So why can these businesses deemed "non-essential" not follow those same guidelines? They can. I see no point to force so many people to stop working.

I see the benefit in social distancing. I just think we could practice this directive without killing the small businesses in so many communities across the nation by forcing people to not work.

I've only just seen today on morning news that they are talking about a committee to get the economy going again in the next 6-8 weeks. Why wasn't this being planned and discussed back in January/February when we began shutting down travel in and out of the US? Maybe this was being discussed among the government officials, but I think they should be putting more information out about how we will fix the economic crisis looming on our horizon.

EDIT:
@Ryisunique I see your point. There are many people probably not following proper procedure; however, we don't know for sure that any of these procedures will actually work in the long run. Plenty of people who've been quarantined have still caught the virus.

I want everyone to be safe, believe me. I also wish more people would be smart about being safe and social distancing. But we have a lot of things to worry about in this world besides the COVID-19. I know that probably sounds callous to some degree, but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
China is apparently in recovery after the virus, but they were willing to take the most extreme measures to get things under control (even welding people inside their houses if we believe in rumors).
In my own state, the governor has said that he will use the police to shut down by force any non-essential bussiness that is still open.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
China is apparently in recovery after the virus, but they were willing to take the most extreme measures to get things under control (even welding people inside their houses if we believe in rumors).
In my own state, the governor has said that he will use the police to shut down by force any non-essential bussiness that is still open.
I am in the camp that we can't trust the Chinese government. I know it's no fault of the citizens of the country, but the Chinese government has a long history of murdering their people, lying to the world, and spreading propaganda. It seems even now they have the WHO in their pocket. They kicked many reporters out of their country weeks ago and seized much footage the reporters had obtained. They burned bodies of their dead before proper autopsies could be conducted. Chinese scientists working in China, trying to warn the world of COVID-19 have come up missing, American reporters in China have come up missing, and it's probably safe to assume that the Chinese government is looking for ways to take advantage of the rest of the world because of the COVID-19 issue. I see no way to trust a government that's been murdering their own people for the last 2000+ years and trying to cover it up.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, WHO is a part of the UN and the US pays most of the UN's upkeeping. I agree that the WHO should not be mixing health and politic. I think the WHO leadership is being native, trying appeasement to China government like downplay and accept the statistic from the Chinese government. It would be the Chinese government turn into a saint overnight [No other source of information is allowed]. Let prey that the WHO leadership sees the light and focus on their mission which to prevent the disease from spreading.

@Astel, it might be true that only some part of China is recovery and not all parts of China unless the government just put the infected humans and lock them in the cave somewhere. However, we cannot independently verify it.

Angry at WHO will not benefit you. I think right now you should angry your local government if they do something stupid that danger you and call them. I hope everyone here is safe.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, WHO is a part of the UN and the US pays most of the UN's upkeeping. I agree that the WHO should not be mixing health and politic. I think the WHO leadership is being native, trying appeasement to China government like downplay and accept the statistic from the Chinese government. It would be the Chinese government turn into a saint overnight [No other source of information is allowed]. Let prey that the WHO leadership sees the light and focus on their mission which to prevent the disease from spreading.
The UN is pretty much a useless organization, at least when it comes to US interests. Trump is already looking at stopping all funding that the US sends to organizations like the UN and WHO. WHO will most likely be one of the first of those organizations that the US stops supporting, and for good reason. Also, other countries have called out the WHO for being a lap dog to China amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, Japan and Turkey being the most vocal about it so far.

I'm not angry at the WHO. I just recognize the WHO for what it is: a lackey to countries like China.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, well this is getting a bit political maybe(?), but since the trustworthiness of the WHO is of course connected to the coVID-19 virus since they're issuing guidelines. That one interview which I'm not going to link to but you can find yourself on YouTube if you search for "reporter asks WHO about Taiwan membership" is the most obvious proof that the organization is in the pockets of China.

And this is a political statement as well but I want everyone to understand you can't trust China. China wants to rule the world with an iron fist and they're absolutely trying to use this pandemic (which they're the sole cause of) to advance their positions. It's sickening really.

As for Japan, some places like Tokyo and Fukuoka where I live are now in a so called "State of Emergency". It doesn't change much though because the government here does not have the constitutional power to use the police to tell people to stay indoors. So they can't and won't issue a curfew.
What this new response does though is sending out stronger message to the people to ask that they stay home, work from home and follow social distancing guidelines. I suspect a few stores such as Starbucks might close their doors and my go-to cafe close to work does only offer take-out orders now. Most companies including my own requires the staff to take their temperature each morning and report it to their shift leaders. And if it's above 37.5, then you can't go to work.

Compared to other countries though, not that much as changed really. Except well, what really sucks for me is that we're going to have our first child in a about 1 month and it seems they'll not allow anyone to be present during, or after, the birth. That would mean I'd not be able to meet our baby the first ~3(!) days after it's born. :kaocry:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, what do you mean a lackey of China? Sorry, it is probably my English. You mean like China's servant. True, the WHO leader went to meet the Chinese president. After that, he is acting weird.
A sympathizer is not equal to a spy. What I am saying? Or you think that WHO will be like this forever? That is why I am not leaping to that conclusion yet. I think you probably right, but I wait and see. Every time, I jump to a conclusion too quickly. I always get the wrong preconception.
:kaojoy:
I respect your right of expressing. Thank you for your information. Please show me the links of Turkey and Japan being vocal about this in the private message. So I can keep myself updated. Thank you. I think it would be more appropriate.

@Parallax Panda, thank you for let me know. I just did not pay attention to the news in that region in detail.

@moderators, sorry, I think I am going into politics too much.

Last edited:

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda First of all congratulations! Having the first child will feel magical (and nerve-racking, for a bit). I feel for ya man. It will be a long three days. Well, look on the bright side, you'll have a great story to tell your kid about his/her special birth circumstances.

I can't help but think right now, doomsday preppers are going, "I told you so!" It's a good time for preppers. Still, would I prep? No. Mainly because I've grown too used to the luxury of today's life. I'm sure if there's ever an apocalypse I'd be in the first group to go. I don't want to live in a Mad Max world, even if I could.

While I'm fairly confident humanity will beat this soon, or as preppers would say, this is NOT an "endgame event," COVID does give us a taste of what it would be like to go without our first world luxuries. Now I can't go to the hospital freely. I can't travel. I can't even go out for coffee without seriously considering the consequences.

I guess the silver lining is this event helps us appreciate the little things in life more.

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow
I wouldn't say it's stupid? Where's your facts to back this up?
I will remind once again that I posted this when COVID-19 hadn't reached Greece yet, or it was at the beginning. I said it is stupid most of the time, not just stupid.​
It is stupid most of the time because you put yourself in unnecessary risk to catch a cold or a flu.​

When Covid-19 reaches your country, it is ok to use a mask, not only to protect yourself but others if you are infected and don't know it yet. But this is NOT the only time you see people with masks. Trust me on that.​

People use the mask just to protect themselves from influenza, or for either more stupid reasons that I can not express on this forum in public because politics are involved a little. I can PM you what the case is all about if you want to.​
Include poor hygiene on hands, sneezing without the mask at home, but wearing the mask outside. You got a glimpse of what I mean.​

Not to mention that it is a fact that if you are breathing air, contaminated by the air you exhale, inside a small room (between you and the mask that is) Because viruses live inside you, they are just not many and your immune system beats the crap outta them. When you feed back to your organism unclean air, you are increasing the amount of viruses in your organism. That is why we air our rooms by opening the windows. You can catch a "cold" during summer. Ever wonder how? We call it a "cold" because it is cold outside and we don't air our warm houses thus... air gets contaminated.​

Today though things are different. I will prefer to catch a cold or a flu, instead of COVID-19. Thus the mask is now a good idea. It was not 1 month BEFORE we get a positive case. Neither was a good idea before even announcing the pandemic.

While I defend my argument here, I have to inform you that it was stated for another point in the timeline. Today you are right, it is better to use a mask.

I hope this clarifies what I said when I posted.

@Touchfuzzy already took care of this, but since I believe people need always a reminder, here goes some posts.
OP:

Another post of mine:

This thread, will not become a podium for anyone to spread propaganda.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, I am sorry if it is causing futher fear to people. I have a question about the virus's behavior? I am having some idea about the biology, but I think any people know more than me. Do you think the RNA Covid19 virus will mutate to the point of drug resistant virus? One experiment drug did failed in recent. Thank you.

Dreadshadow

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, I am sorry if it is causing futher fear to people. I have a question about the virus's behavior? I am having some idea about the biology, but I think any people know more than me. Do you think the RNA Covid19 virus will mutate to the point of drug resistant virus? One experiment drug did failed in recent. Thank you.

There is no reason to panic if there won't be any vaccine. Whoever catch COVID-19 gains resistance naturally, thus it's not like it will spread if no vaccine will be made. Also, a virus that becomes vaccine resistant can not defeat a healthy strong immune system. No reason to fear.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plus right now remember they are testing drugs as they don't know what will defeat it. So it is normal for the first few to fail.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow and @bgillisp, thank you for clarification. I am not fear, but I fear that I cause others more fear. Why did the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say SARS-CoV-2 instead of COVID-19? I am just curious and I like to learn more.

One case study is suggestive, however; a choir group in Skagit, Washington, met for a two-hour practice in early March. No one was symptomatic, so singers weren’t coughing or sneezing out infected droplets. And everyone kept their distance. But when all was said and done, 45 people became infected with COVID-19 and at least two people died from the virus, the Los Angeles Times reported. A 2019 study in the journal Nature Scientific Reports found that people emit more aerosol particles when talking and that louder speech volumes correlate to more aerosol particles being emitted.

:kaophew:, So when we say hello to each other, should we be worried? [I am ok, but other elderly people do now used a sign language to prevent the spread or writing on the notepad.]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Learning Action Sequences!
ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!

Online Platformer TEST DEMO 0.1 - 4 simple Maps. Just jumping test. (I still have 2 minor problems to fix).
So ms store had an idea to nuke the the entire app when the file integrity is slightly broken.
Im on another months long scripting high. I wonder if I can go SSJS3?

Version Fille in english is now complete!
Download the game on itch.io:
Talk about it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/120802/

Enjoy and share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenmai