COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm from Thailand
My country, everything is quiet now.
And the struggle between the government and students is increasing everyday.
Now no one dares to go outside. The shop is quiet and an important issue.
Physical examination fees are very expensive for all people.
About 240 US (7700 baht). My government was a coup and today
People in my country are dying because of bad economy.
Before dying because of various diseases, everyone was scared and didn't dare to hang out.
Yes, and masks which cannot be purchased because of the most failed government in my country
The status is now very scary, the government does not help the people
Self-help is the only thing the government can do.
The government proposes that citizens donate money
To help his people, I think this is the most funny thing.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
don't need to panic
but just don't take it lightly
if you young and healthy that great but you still can be a Carrier
so please care for people around you, your family
there are plenty of time to act cool or edgy
but let's that go after these time

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perennial Viral Panics: A Brief History To Aid In Pattern Recognition
This brief history has been CANCELLED by a moderator! Calling any nationality 'idiots' is a non-starter on these forums, Crow.

To be clear: I have no interest in mocking anyone who's taking COVID-19 seriously. As a matter of fact, I'm no longer completely unworried about it myself: cases have shown up in my county which I thought was in the middle of nowhere, and developments like the entire world running out of hand sanitizer and toilet paper are outright surreal. I'm more concerned with the aggressive stupidity of panicking humanoid lemmings in the face of the virus than the pandemic itself.

That being said...I have seen this song and dance before...again, and again, and again, and again. Every time media fearmongers cry wolf that the sky is falling. And every time, the world has not in fact ended. Fearmongers in the media have lost all credibility to me, once again, because they're the boy who cried wolf. This one might really be an apocalyptic global pandemic , but they have reported that so many times in my lifetime that it's impossible for me to take them seriously.

I also think--and I know this will sound callous--but I think the world has an enormous problem with overcrowding and overpopulation primarily because people just aren't dying like they used to. People are being born at approximately the same rate, but the elderly are living 20-30 years longer. It's hard not to see, with my viewpoint, the spreading virus that will decimate primarily the elderly population is an effort by Mother Earth to keep some semblance of balance by culling the Earth's population.

Last edited by a moderator:

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
People need to understand most of us are going to get it at some stage (maybe not most but a lot, millions worldwide) The important thing is to follow the guidelines and social distancing that needs to be put in place. The draconian measures in some countries are not going to let it pass most people by. What they are there to do and why we have a responsibility to follow them is simply to stop health services from getting overwhelmed the way they have in Italy.

I have no doubt I'm gonna get it at some stage in the next 18 months, I have little doubt one of my parents are going to get it both of whom are in their 70's. And people like them are the reason we have to take this seriously. They have a much better chance of coming out of this alive if hospitals aren't overcrowded, doctors not worked to the bone, there are not more patients then intensive care beds etc.. We need people to get this in evenish numbers over a flat curve to keep hospitals on point and able to function. The peak we're heading for currently in the next month or two without some changes is going to kill over 1m if its not sorted.

I live in a country with 1st world healthcare and a 6m population, the prediction for here is 1.9m getting sick which is 60k deaths at the current rate of growth. Don't panic and buy a mountain of toilet roll or unduly worry but use your head, don't stupidly get infected by ignoring guidlelines or if you do get sick don't spread it.

Doctors in Italy are already having to pick and choose who to save and who dies, anyone who thinks this is another flu is miles away from reality.

Last edited:

Larry Jones

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
@CrowStorm exactly. Love your post. Are you in America? I can assure you stupidity is not bound to there at all :) despite the jokes us non-Americans might sometimes make.

what I will add is ... no matter WHAT happens, whether it’s this or a trillion trillion times worse, we can just have a good,relaxed, healthy attitude to it. And if we eventually die we eventually die (there’s no doubt we all will eventually).

but the mass hysteria ... mass panic ... you’re right. Somethings *off*. There’s something very strange to me about the way this kind of “mass hypnosis” plays out. And like you, it’s hardfor me not to be swayed by it even a little. But. It’s a wonderful thing events like this, because it highlights all this stuff, helps us see it, and if we are willing to, helps us SEE THROUGH IT.

CrowStorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[Snip]

If the US declares any kind of no-BS curfew/quarantine, I will officially be freaked out. If not because of the implications of how serious COVID-19 is, then by the quarantine measures themselves. The US has done nothing like that in my life time or as far as I know, EVER

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(Somehow I knew politics was going to make its way into this, which is probably what annoys me the most.)
To put it plainly, the fear makes sense, but not the panic. Why are we killing each other over paper products that have nothing to do with the illness? My school is closed for the next 3 weeks, but before that was the most anxiety-filled day I've had in a while. I was told so much to wash my hands that I started obsessively applying sanitizer. Why do we need signs up all over the school like we're in kindergarten?

CrowStorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Somehow I knew politics was going to make its way into this, which is probably what annoys me the most.)
To put it plainly, the fear makes sense, but not the panic. Why are we killing each other over paper products that have nothing to do with the illness? My school is closed for the next 3 weeks, but before that was the most anxiety-filled day I've had in a while. I was told so much to wash my hands that I started obsessively applying sanitizer. Why do we need signs up all over the school like we're in kindergarten?
EVERYTHING is politics. In the US, mainstream media panic mongering has caused the wealthy and privileged to hoard crazy obscene amounts of TP and hand sanitizer, leaving the shelves empty for the underclass of have-nots. Everyone needs to calm down but no one is going to make that easy: cui bono? Latin for "who benefits?". In this case, look for who is making money off of the panic. I am not positing who that is, I'm just saying it's worth looking into. Who wins from keeping people scared and irrational?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
where I'm from, we're so far behind, we're probably getting COVID five years from now.
the only trend that always catches up, is stupidity.
at that, we're all updated.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reminder to stay on topic and not go into political discussion. Let's also try to avoid conspiracy theories. This is a thread to be kept updated on the evolution of the COVID-19 virus, not to spread conspiracy theories.
@CrowStorm I'm simply reminding you to try not to get into the political side of things. I know you believe that everything is political in nature, but let's try to avoid those kind of discussion. Not editing your post since it doesn't warrants it.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't believe the panic is caused solely by the media. It's a very natural reaction to this new, still largely unknown threat. People, rich and poor, are afraid.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I live in south New Jersey near Philadelphia, this time last year I was in north jersey 20 minutes away from the bronx, New York. The situation is crazy on both high volume metro areas, and what's worst is I work at the airport so I'm seeing people from ALL over the world dress like trash men in random gloves and masks and yet wearing bikini's because they bought tickets for Puerto rico for $45 round trip 12 hours prior to coming to the airport.

The foolishness is too damn high

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's finally hit close to home I suppose, one case officially in my state and all the school systems have unilaterally shut down from now until April 7th. If I had kids I'd probably have to quit my job, or take a sabbatical depending on how the boss took it, wonder if day cares are shutting down to or if they'll merely serve as incubators in lieu of the schools. Certainly don't remember anything like this happening with any of the other new viruses spread over the years. Still think it's all largely overblown by media interests but in any case I'm glad I've always been a prepper, that I haven't had to deal with any of the panic mobs (though I wish I'd stocked up on potatoes sooner, can't be found right now) so far.

I know some of y'all are school teachers out there, does the fact that the kids are now all missing the better part of a month mean that they'll all be going to summer school when this is all over, or will they likely be exempt from it somehow? I mean how do the schools deal with the aftermath of such a lengthy abrogation, generally speaking anyway?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please beware that Ebay sellers tried to sell TPs broader line price double. So I recommend using Amazon because ten rolls for 19 dollars which about 2 dollars for each roll. If I buy 10 rolls in Ebay, it is average about 31 dollars. Again if you can buy in the well, buy it cheaper. I guess Amazon has more centralize system.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please beware that Ebay sellers tried to sell TPs broader line price double. So I recommend using Amazon because ten rolls for 19 dollars which about 2 dollars for each roll. If I buy 10 rolls in Ebay, it is average about 31 dollars. Again if you can buy in the well, buy it cheaper. I guess Amazon has more centralize system.
Yeah, it's happening

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fantastic.

While it's problematic that many much needed medial supplies goes to waste on re-seller's shelf's, if they get stuck with what they got and get an economical setback that's the best we can hope for. Because that means they'll not continue to buy up any future stock.

But while I'm sure US has it's own homegrown hoarding and price gouging culture like we see in that article. I know for a fact that this practice, buy and re-sell for more, is rampant in China which has an government that does not really stop it. And a much bigger population/market to satisfy.

So I expect the stores to be out of stock for quite some time yet.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Philosophus Vagus I can't speak for all schools, but currently, despite having 3 weeks off, we're not going into summer, though likely if there's another week added or so, it will.

CrowStorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That thing about people on ebay profiting from this horrible situation by selling toilet paper at insane jacked up prices? That's perfectly emblematic of how gross and evil capitalism is, and how it encourages all of the worst aspects of human nature. But I won't get off on a rant.

The world is definitely taking this more seriously than any previous viral panic (although this did not become clear to me until this weekend). I honestly don't know if that's because the numbers are different surrounding this pandemic or because we've just been becoming progressively more oversensitive towards danger with more exaggerated responses over time.

I don't believe the panic is caused solely by the media. It's a very natural reaction to this new, still largely unknown threat. People, rich and poor, are afraid.
I think that the media is doing everything they can to exaggerate and exacerbate the panic because fear leads to clicks but yes, you're right. COVID 19 is scary and while it's not helpful, panic is a very natural human reaction to something new and scary like this. Even my own calm is gradually eroding, I have to admit. It is very hard to remain calm in the face of the world around you being in full panic mode.

In a sense, I've been "social distancing" my whole life, so this kind of isolation isn't new to me. It must suck for people that are regularly in the habit of enjoying the company of their fellow humans. I've always found it draining at best.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CrowStorm, In psychology, it called psychological projection when someone blames someone or something for what they are done wrong into just devoid responsibility or try to get kind of political gains. -ism is just an idea and people create actions. -ism is just a word that thrown around to provoke emotion positive or negative from the mass of people. If anyone prays for one -ism and condone another-ism, humans would be less selfish or be cooperative anyone would it already [political sparking]
@MushroomCake28, I hope @CrowStorm that understand that -ism is mostly used for political scapegoats so the mass of innocents looks into other direction instead of solving problems or do something productive.

I think you still could meet with anyone except doing a large crowd gathering. No watch the debate or sports in the stadium. Yes.

Last edited:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone who says they're more concerned with people's panicking and overreaction than the actual virus, because that's exactly what's making the situation worse. Yes, we should take precautions and find ways to reduce the spread, but that's no reason to go on a spree of buying soap, sanitiser, toilet paper, canned food, crisps, etc, and then scaremongering people about how terrible all this is while being scientifically illiterate and allowing the media's framing effect to lead you to see things a certain way.

Yes, many people died from it. Yes, it's bad that people have died because of it. But many more people have survived it, which the media never talks about. Even among older people, there is an 80-85% chance to survive if you're over 80 and get sick with it, and a 96.5% chance to survive if you're over 60 and get the disease. If you're old, you're a lot more likely to die from coronary heart disease, cancer, stroke, and other diseases, which each kill thousands of times more people PER DAY than COVID-19. Surprising that we're not panicking about any of those diseases. It's almost as though we're treating them as a normality now. Also, a lot depends on your living conditions. The chances are, majority of us here live in first world countries and have access to good food, clean water, and health care, so the chances of complications or dying are lower for us if we do get sick with it.

As with every outbreak, we should absolutely take precautions. But there's no need to put our lives on hold, unless we end up with something that's a lot worse (think Ebola and its over 50% death rate, or even something slightly less extreme). Washing hands, not coughing at others, staying home if you're sick - these things should be done anyway. This case of coronavirus should not be an exception.

So, no, I am not too scared of this virus hurting me or my loved ones. I'm more scared of what panicking people who have the 'me first' mentality will do in times like these, and this is mild compared to what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarina