COVID-19 a.k.a. coronavirus, let's talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, Italy has a much older population than either China or America. I believe China generally has a young population.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm fine guys. It's really not that bad. I'm young(ish) and healthy so its mostly just feeling really exhausted with a fever and cough. I did want to sleep all day today but I had to get up and do something I guess :p.

No worries.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's been another confirmed case of a university student in their 30's here in the city where I live. Apparently this one had been traveling the world in late February so well, duh. Not a big surprise I guess. But I assume it's those cheap flight tickets that encourages people to "take a chance" and act stupid.

@Larry Jones
I think China has an aging population now actually. Not sure where you're supposed to draw the line though.

With a quick googling I found the median age of some countries, although the data was ~3 years old so I expect it to have changed slightly.

USA: 38.2
China: 38.4
South Korea: 41.8
Italy: 45.5
Germany: 47.1
Japan: 47.3
Monaco: 53.1

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
45.6 approximately in Greece.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not near the hot spot for my state, but you wouldn't know that looking at people buying out stuff. Grateful that the store now has limits on things, but it was a decision done by corporate and not the store manager.

Not liking being in an 'essential' business, tbh.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But I assume it's those cheap flight tickets that encourages people to "take a chance" and act stupid.
I had a co-worker with this mindset who flew to Hawaii last weekend, because cheap flights. :rolleyes:

I'm not near the hot spot for my state, but you wouldn't know that looking at people buying out stuff. Grateful that the store now has limits on things, but it was a decision done by corporate and not the store manager.
We've not had a confirmed case in our town, but I cannot get TP, eggs, flour, etc., at the stores and it's been like this for over a week now.

I found Tuesday that I would no longer be working for the foreseeable future. I filed for unemployment but also applied for a temporary job with the Census Bureau. It just pays too well to not try for it. So I'll either be at home getting lots of cleaning/organizing/home improvement projects done or I'll be working part time with that, lol.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm down to one day a week. Also the boys are still sick, the youngest one seemed to be getting better then got worse, he's now getting better again. I feel very mild symptoms, the faintest hint of a headache, a low fever 100.0f, a slight cough, and it feels like I have a constant mild asthma attack (I had asthma as a kid due to my parents smoking, but haven't had issues for over a decade.)

It sure sounds like the plague(COVID-19), but I've accepted the fact that I will never know for sure since it's not possible to get tested here unless your need hospitalization.

I got a notice from the school today saying that one of the employees is in quarantine due to the virus, so I'm done thinking it's just in my head and I'm just being anxious. I'm still not worried about me or my family though, I figure we'll be fine, I worry that anyone of us might spread it to someone who won't be fine. We're happily holed up at home, which is where we will stay for the time being :D

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Two days ago, all schools and movie theaters closed down, seems like restaurants are next. It feels almost surreal, I'm not really worried about getting sick, since the odds of having complications are relatively small, I'm more worried about the social and economical aspect of a severe lockdown.
In my country (Mexico) we have still not that many cases, and only two fatal cases, yet we know it can change at any moment.
This are really frightening times.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just tired. Should be looking forward to the weekend but now I'm working weekends, and weekdays too. To many coworkers at home with their kids, but since this crap hit it seems like we've got more job offers than ever.

Aside from that I've been saving up for a shotgun for a while now, a beautiful CZ redhead deluxe and was planning to finally treat myself when I got paid today. Jokes on me I guess, once facebook rumors got out a couple days ago that we might be in for a "lockdown" married with the fact that people with nonviolent offenses were being let out of prison en mass out ahead of the virus apparently everybody stopped buying up toilet paper and started buying guns instead. Shelves cleaned out and they can't order new stock because nobody's shipping anything other than essentials. So no backyard skeet shooting to pass the time for me, because panicky people are doubling down on their panic.

Seriously though, even as an avid gun-nut myself, the fact that people are starting to horde firearms has me concerned, at least more than I was previously. Whether real or imagined people seem to think this mess is going to get a whole lot worse, and worried people arming themselves so suddenly worries me, it's like a powder keg but while we're waiting for it to blow we're all stacking up more powder around it.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not to get political, but...
Do not treat Asian people as a threat. Asian people are everywhere. They don't contain the virus as a hive mind and spread it on demand or something. They might be 100% clean but being a racist, vile hobgoblin has a fatality rate of 100% compared to Covid-19's 3.4%.
FTFY. Racists don't care if they hurt other people; they do, however, very much care about their own well-being. Racists do not act on their racism (in this case, hurting Asian people) when they're afraid of being treated the way a racist should be.

Amane Kagari

"That Person" Yes. I'm "That person" that I am.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me add to this topic. So I (and pretty sure many of you as well) read and saw on the news a lot on "flattening the curve". And like me, many of you are probably confused as hell about this "curve" thing. But a few days ago "It's Ok To Be Smart" that really clears things up by explaining it simple enough for those who are confused (like me) about the whole "curve" thing.
Watch it. It's definitely more informative than what various news networks (mainly cable news) spins this curve thing.

Sometimes I wish there are more of these simple yet informative vids put out to unspin this hell of a mess we call "news". (Again, not all news are bad. Local news in our area has been more than helpful in debunking myths with its many Q&A sessions and live answers segments daily.)

Edit: Sometimes I wish the mainstream media wouldn't make things so confusing and just simplify things a bit like these kinds of videos.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Philosophus Vagus, where do you llve? It must be a big city because the news now just reported. So is it true?

Please do not look at the statistics to much. I learn in the statistics that the statistic graphical representations which are nondetermistic. The good statistic needs to be peer reviewed and another person have to redo same data collecting methods in order to confirm the finding.

Please do read statistic from government, political affiliation, or marketing to much. I sure they are really care about you and for the educational purpose without the string attached.

Statistic means you have a chance or not of something. A statistic collector cannot find or know definitely who get the virus or not. Humans are complex and any factors to influence the finding. Statistics are just mathematical to help us at understand the complexity of the world.

Last edited:

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are 100% sales on indie sites. Check them out, stay home stay safe.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are soooooo many more cases in the united states than what they are reporting.

I think myself and my family has it, but we have no option to test in NY. Stay safe and have fun at home with your families. <3

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow, There are only 2 products that this website discount in this website.
That is true is the blue or night sky somewhere in the world [100%] There is 100% something in the world that malicious attack occurs.

@Tea's Jams, are you senior? If you are not senior citizens, you are going to be ok. Yes, it is not feel good if you are get sick. Why didn't you contact CDC? I know if you go to the hospital. You will get hit by the bills.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I called a health care provider last week about my sons, and now the news confirmed it, it's simply not possible to get tested here unless you're in critical condition or a healthcare worker. I'm deemed an essential worker and so far even though my boss knows our symptoms, I'm expected to work and spread it anyways. Without a diagnoses, you don't take off work, without testing, you don't get diagnosed.

It's unpleasant, but that's the situation on the ground in NY at least. :LZSskeptic:

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo , this killed a 34 year old man because he was asthmatic. A good chunk of people in the US have underlying health conditions that put them at more risk of suffering severe consequences from it.

@Tea's Jams, I know the deal. Wal-Mart's policy about this in light of them not testing means a lot are going to come in thanks to money woes.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand it makes sense they don't want everyone with the sniffles to walk into the doctors where they are treating actually infected people and possibly walk out with the virus even as their test comes up negative, on the other that's just messed up, employers being able to require you test positive to get paid time off even knowing that the doctors don't want to blanket test everyone and will actively tell them to stay home until their symptoms become life threatening.

It's a shame people are being stuck in that position. I mean I guess I am as well, but I'm blessed enough to have the resources where if I start feeling under the weather I can just take the pay hit. Hopefully those stimulus being argued down the pike in various governments will help some, though they probably won't start getting to people until the end of April even if they're fast-tracked.

Last edited:

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm starting to think more and more about the economic fallout of this crises.

In regards of the virus. I'm doing what I can to not contract it and bring it home to my wife but... the Japanese society does very little to stop it so I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just a matter of time.
Because there's basically no testing, no real limit on group size and business goes on as usual more or less. A few big events has been cancelled (but not all). They say "wash your hands" on TV, but I doubt that'll make everyone actually do it. Now that the toilet paper is back in the stores (where I live), the pandemic is not something you really take notice of outside of news. Japan goes on like normal (slowly working themselves to death).

I wonder how bad the world economy will tank though? Because that's not something the government can sweep under the rug as easily.
Will there'll be countries that'll file for bankruptcy like Greece had to do in the past? How will the EU fair, and how many people will loose their jobs when it's all said and done?

From what I can tell, the stimulus packages the government is planning to give probably won't save the global economy. I just can't see that it can be saved in this current situation, because you can only fiddle with the number so much. If productivity goes down, it's going to show.

Since my job is indirectly linked to american foreign interests (whose budget is somewhat high on the priority list I bet), I don't think my employment is at risk. Unless, well, the contract company I work for screws up and files for bankruptcy because of incompetence or something.
Everyone around me (my wife and extended family) mostly have government jobs as well and those are pretty safe here in Japan. Even in a crisis you really can't start firing police officers, fire fighters and military personnel since they keep society running.

So well, I guess we're (probably) safe. But that doesn't stop my from worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".
Ami
--- F.Mage Cooking ---

F.Mage: Hey,guys. i made dinner for you!
M.Fighter & Hero: (Shock) Dinner???
(F.Mage Put The Failed And Burnt Dishes Surrounded With Creepy Aura)
Hero: What the...???
F.Mage: It's Curry Rice,Fried Egg And Cakes. I hope you guys like my Dishes.
M.Fighter: Are you kidding me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxdestructo