PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Hey!

So I'm starting over a new project, one that I wanted to do for quite some time.

It's going to be a crafting game. I'm not so sure about how it's going to develop, gona let the time tell.

For now, I know it's going to have a random generated world, and a village, because I don't like to be the only person in the world, alone... not funny :x

The wolrd generating plugin is already working, it creates the map with some decorations, trees... and a village, if lucky.

Now I may start working on the gameplay,and want to know:
What do you think that would be funny to have in a crafting game?

(you can check the development here)

EDIT:

I'm changing the subject a little so I don't need to create another topic as the main idea is the same (designing a crafting game).

Although the "funny stuff" ideas are still welcome, I want to leave this a little more open to talk about how the stuff can be created.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
funny is really depending on the person...some people dont share the same humor as others...that being said

what kind of craftings we talking about here? i would say having failed crafts with "side effects" would be humorous to me....like potion that goes wrong and turns you to a plant pr whatever for some time, OR a bow thats built wrong (insted of wood you would use the bow string and in place of string there would be a bone? like a messed up crafted item)

im a bit strange compared to other people but this is my opinion >.>

Alvonso

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
if you can combine that crafting system with RPG one, that will be so nice, have you try Summoned Sword Craft in VGBA? Play that, maybe you can learn something for your game ^^

sebarz

Call me Seba
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello @Lantiz! 

I checked it out the link! The village looks pretty nice and colorful, good job.

I agree with @Balako, a different or negative side effect would be interesting to see. Cause, basically this isn't implemented on mostly crafting games. 

About the fun part... well, is already said it; different people, different concepts of what is fun, but how i see the crafting for me is secondary in a game, like a complement.

Anyway, good luck with your project :)

Regards!

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
funny is really depending on the person...some people dont share the same humor as others...that being said

what kind of craftings we talking about here? i would say having failed crafts with "side effects" would be humorous to me....like potion that goes wrong and turns you to a plant pr whatever for some time, OR a bow thats built wrong (insted of wood you would use the bow string and in place of string there would be a bone? like a messed up crafted item)

im a bit strange compared to other people but this is my opinion >.>

Hahaha good one, the thing about wrong potion or food would be funny.

Thank you.

if you can combine that crafting system with RPG one, that will be so nice, have you try Summoned Sword Craft in VGBA? Play that, maybe you can learn something for your game ^^

At first i thought about something like finding materials and build stuff to sell, and with money you could buy recipes from vendors, to craft advanced weapons, and runes to use on your weapons.

I'll check this game out, thanks.

Hello @Lantiz! 

I checked it out the link! The village looks pretty nice and colorful, good job.

I agree with @Balako, a different or negative side effect would be interesting to see. Cause, basically this isn't implemented on mostly crafting games. 

About the fun part... well, is already said it; different people, different concepts of what is fun, but how i see the crafting for me is secondary in a game, like a complement.

Anyway, good luck with your project :)

Regards!

Thanks! Those are Time Fantasy tiles xD
I understand about it being different for each person, that's exactly why I'm asking hahaha

LightAme

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was about to suggest side effects but it's already been suggested xD

How bout unlocking humorous side quest or event after a certain amount or certain combination of failure? :D  

It gives player the new feeling~

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I was about to suggest side effects but it's already been suggested xD

How bout unlocking humorous side quest or event after a certain amount or certain combination of failure? :D  

It gives player the new feeling~

Sounds cool, like new experiences, i.e.:

Only people who got drunk in life knows how it feels.

Maybe have some kind of stamina counter for work that decreases with bad effects :D

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
you can also have a sign that says "days without accidents : 1"   i guess?

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
you can also have a sign that says "days without accidents : 1"   i guess?

Ooh and have work accidents like, cut the finger while making a dish, good one.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I changed a little the topic's subject so I could ask a few more "technical" (I guess) stuff...

For now, I would like to know what do you think that would be a nice way to spread resources on the maps?

For example Regions of resources (like small grass field or having ores in mines only), random per tile (row a dice for each map tile).

Any thoughts?

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
im having this problem myself...im trying to have crafting resources...not in a way they are hard to obtain but not easy either...

one way i found is random variable that allows 1-5 resources on a small map ...maybe 3-12 on bigger ones??...i want to finish this and try it to see if i can find a sweet spot in the mix

and resources would only get a new variable after 1 day ingame *1 hour in real life or sleeping to end day but that would be like sleeping on harvest moon ..annoying*

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I guess the time for the resources to be spawned should not be based in real life time, it's probably too much.

Anyway even with the "sleep type" of spawning I guess it fits nicelly... would be weird to walk around a field and see some grass showing up from nothing o_O

Perharps a good way would be to use something like a "minimum time", like it wont respawn if the player is outside a building, even if the time to respawn has passed, but instead when the time is past, the resources goes to a "spawning list" that stores which resources should be spawned when the player leave the building.

Aside from that, any thoughs on placing the spawns? Like where or how would fit better?

How do you decide where to spawn resources on your project? If you dont mind telling....

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
i really placed them randomly, eeni meenie miney moe sort of thing :S i only pick spots for rare materials ...they would be in a not noticable place and somewhat "special" *like a rock near water tile*

i also have a season system in place, so in winter you would get less herbs, BUT there are more rare herbs in certain locations

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Oh understood. Thanks for letting me know.

Wonder how would be a good way to do that in generated maps :s

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You could do what Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together did where there are certain areas of the map where you could mine or gather where it's most abundant. Part of the map had more stones where there are stone ground, whereas in grassy plains, there are less rocks to mine. This makes it a bit more logical in where you'd want to go for resources BUT it may be too spread out and some may not want to travel across the map just to get resources. If you're going for that, maybe make some sort of craft item where you can dig deep for resources in that spot(kind of like an oil rig), but the amount of items you need to craft for it are rarer ingredients.

You can probably try to correlate regions with the generated maps in which if earth ground tiles are generated, then maybe region #4 is placed on top of it which can generate some sort of variable that can generate some sort of gathering place for items or not. So on and so forth.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I like the region idea and spreading in a logical and realistic way.

What let me the doubt is exactly the setling problem: the premisse is stabilish a base/house, so the player can place workbenches and stuff... Placing the house in a bad spot could be game breaking I guess... Or not?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[closed]IgnoreMe[/closed]
at OP request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After the initial success with one event, I set up four different events on the same map to detect who is in which slot in my current party, and fortunately it managed to work as intended, with the events changing image to match the party members even as I swapped their positions around in formation. This will be a great tool for immersive scene design.
Finally finished the first hand-drawn map! It took me a week, but I'm so proud!
Actual line of code I just had to write for a plugin:

return Object.keys(this._shopStock).map(key => key.split(",")).map(element => element.map(value => Number(value))).filter(key => key[0] === mapId && key[1] === eventId);

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catboyfirsttimer