SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

SH81Hsl.png

This is a set of short games with topics generated randomly via - http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen -

created to help learn and improve my use of RPG maker MV in a start to end of project fashion.
This was inspired by the various 45 minute challenges posted by RPG maker youtubers.

~ ~ ~ Project 1 - completed in 3 days ~ ~ ~

VD2XaRe.png

"Play as Erik, avenging Angela and Salem by trying to convince your Landlord after being kicked out unfairly,
that pets are a joy and you should all be allowed to return to your apartment."

Original randomized topic: A simulation game where you manage cats to avenge your girlfriend.

- Characters -

note:A focus of this project is the characters and interactions, and because of its nature these were developed

as the game went on, so their description is based on what I learnt about them through their dialog in the game.
As such if the screenshots interest you, you may find more joy just entering into the game and watching their dialog/interactions without their personalities spoiled.

Spoiler

TndY0Sr.png
Erik

With an air of confidence thanks to his strong relationship with Angela, he tries to always be ready to lend a hand while being compassionate and thoughtful.

qRppfKd.png
Angela

Cares greatly for her friends and keeps a level head. When her friends are treated poorly though she can become very frustrated, though she isn't so comfortable with aggression so her responses like this can make her flustered and cause her to trip over words.

- Game content -

• A lighthearted 'point and click-esque' adventure with a focus on character dialog and interaction.
  • Approximately 10 minutes of playtime.

- Download project 1 "Avenging with cats" (65mb) -

wwvaixE.png

GuwYmMP.png

0JEaD91.png

~ ~ ~ Project 2 - completed in 3-4 days ~ ~ ~

"Strategically use your 3 varied gun attacks and choose to gain the power of your enemies or

glory of a tougher battle as Alisha, a lady determined to claim victory in the slime shard arena."

Original randomized topic: A shooting game where you hatch resources and there's an audience that reacts to your actions.

- Game content -

• Battle in an arena with 2 enemy types that have varied powers and AI controlling them.
  • Learn from 6 different powers across the time in the arena to customize your playstyle.
  • Gain experience to hone strategies and aim for a greater victory reaction-
    - Learn 4 skills: Standard victory
    - Learn 2/3 skills: Great victory (shown in the video below)
    - Learn 1 skill or less: Awesome victory!
  • Approximately 15 minutes from start to victory, but varied and replayable.

- Download project 1 "The slime shard Arena" (116mb) -

HsZtj0T.png

QqItOoo.png

~ ~ ~ Project 3 - completed in 4 days ~ ~ ~

"Use summonable creatures to overcome puzzles and gain treasure."

Because I couldn't find a randomized topic that was close to a puzzle I wanted to design I chose no random topic for this.

- Game content -

• Learn how to use and summon 3 creatures.
  • Use a combination of the 3 creatures mechanics to overcome puzzles.

I had intended an additional map for this, but I already learnt a bunch on completion
and designing more complex puzzles with the mechanics was taking too much timem

Especially as I wanted to join the RPG maker Birthday Bash contest,

so I tweaked the final puzzle a bit more to end it within the 1 map.
I'm still happy with it though and find the summon mechanics for the puzzles intriguing.

- Download project 1 "Puzzling Summons" (120mb) -

rSC0Cae.png

- End Note-

This is intended to be a learning experience to grow as an RPG maker MV user and develop better experiences with the tools available, so if you have any feedback as a player or as someone with experience in RPG maker MV that could improve or refine an area of gameplay or interaction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Of course though I hope you're also able to find some joy in what is already there :)!

Last edited by a moderator:

SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wanted to update that the next short game, "The slime shard Arena" is just short of complete, and I have a video demonstration to share :).
Only thing I need to finish up tomorrow is balancing the player max health/recovery after battle to make a good challenge to reach the end (If you reach the end with more shards, having used less to learn skills, you'll get 1 of 3 reactions based on your performance). It ended up being a bit too hard as you can see in the video, but it let me show both sides of the start so it didn't turn out bad.

It ended up being more like 3-4 days but I learnt *SO* much, so I'm okay with that. Spent a ton of time with Yanfly's AI plugin and had too much fun tweaking/balancing/editing all that along with the skills, and overall I'm really happy with what can be accomplished thanks to all of that, hopefully you'll also have as much fun playing against it as I have :D.

Because this ended up being combat heavy with the first project being cutscene/character interaction heavy, planning for the third project to focus on puzzle stuff so that this crash course gets me experience with all the core aspects of the engine.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the video demonstration,

I look forward to adding the project to the original post and maybe hearing which ending reaction you can get :)!

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Whoa, you really exploited those game mechanics there. Loving it! Too bad about Alisha biting the dust though. ;A;

SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whoa, you really exploited those game mechanics there. Loving it! Too bad about Alisha biting the dust though. ;A;

Thank you so very much ^^!!
Yeah Dx but she does better in this next video at least :D!

--------------

Updated the top post with the next completed project "The slime shard Arena"
Below you can see a full video from start to finish where I pull off the 'great victory' (just learning 2/3 skills)

Hope you enjoy it, would love to hear how everyone elses experiences go with this :)!

Last edited by a moderator:

SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just updated this with the final of the 3 projects completed, the puzzle focused game :)!
I was also able to record a play through of all 3 projects with commentary and discussing them a bit. Though I'm not great at talking so it starts off rough, but had a ton of fun with the combat game which is about 80% of the video haha, I play through it twice, the second time trying to complete it without learning any skills. I won't spoil how far I got, but it was awesome :D. I also got to commentate within that a bunch on how I use the ATB system and why I chose it over CTB.

Though I was planning on joining the 3 projects into one, the plugins don't interact well with eachother for it to function as one, and I'd rather keep the combat one separate especially as it's a much more repeatedly playable project than the others. I still plan to come back to this for the 2 hour game, which I'll likely choose randomly between the 3 completed projects to make a light version of them in that time to see how far I may have come with workflow and such, but for now I want to focus on the RPG maker Birthday Bash project I'm working on :). After that I'll consider this set complete and post in the completed games area.
Hope you enjoy the final project though small, and that you find some value in the recorded video.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

finished the second chapter of deltarune today, I gotta say that the 3 years wait was worth it lol
Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roeigold123