fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Randomly RPG Maker MV will crash when I'm accessing menus (like adding movement routes, etc.). I don't think it used to have this problem on release, but it's been going on for a while and I've tried verifying files, re-downloading, making sure certain apps are up to date. I'm not sure what to do to make it stop crashing. It's just discouraging when I lose a ton of work 'cause I'm in the menus, tweaking stuff, and it crashes.

I'm not sure what all will help, but I have
Alienware m15 R2
Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz (processor)
16 GB Ram
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I also have antivirus (avast) in case that makes a difference.
(EDIT: I also have the program making files in documents for the game while the app itself is in the C drive)

If anyone knows how to fix the crashes, that would be great. Thank you. ^^

EDIT: I found the issue was alienware command center. I uninstalled it and it hasn't crashed since.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what version of RMMV do you have installed?
To my knowledge, the original internal causes for crashes had been solved by version 1.2 or 1.3 or so, so if you have a current version (1.6.2) then the crash is most likely caused by interaction with another background program.
this might be an antivirus, but that is unlikely - antivirus actions would be much more common if you trigger a false positive.
more likely would be an interaction with a cloudsync if you made the mistake and work on a project that is cloudsync'ed - so please give us the full folderpath to your project if you don't know whether your project is cloudsync'ed or not, it usually can be detected from the folderpath.

If you do know that your project is cloudsync'ed: Don't, remove the project from the folder.
The RPG-Makers use databasing access like Filemaker or Microsoft Access and other databases, not regular file access - that is needed for that amount of data, but is incompatible with most cloud-based autosyncs.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do have the current version. I'm also running Aseprite and Discord in the background and I'm running the steam version. Is the full folder path what's in the address bar? If so, it's C:\Users\cryst\Documents\MV Games
Otherwise how do I find it? I don't remember changing the destination, but it's entirely possible that I did and just don't remember. When I make a new project, that's also the destination. I'm honestly not sure what folder to use if that's the incorrect folder.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most cloudstorages require you to install them, and then you'll know - using for example dropbox etc.
However Microsoft "encourages" its users to store their data in their version, that is called "onedrive".
If that had happened you would have the userfolder inside a "onedrive"-folder and might not have known the consequences, that is why I asked.

nothing you mentioned so far would have such an effect, so I'm out of ideas for now.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a network path on one-drive, but that isn't what I'm using to open it. Is it a problem to just have it in general? Steam overlay is disabled. When looking at the taskbar, the priority is normal in case that may make a difference. My memory's at 66~69%, too, but I don't think that's bad.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
You probably have some security software that is affecting the RMMV base system:
  • Antivirus
  • Bank protection module
  • Software and driver updater
  • Self-healing software (cleaning files and temporary records)

First try this:
Try to create a new user and see if the same problem persists.
If it doesn't work, you can delete it.

Second attempt:
See your motherboard model, go to the official website and download the recommended drivers.
(You can find out the model at the command prompt)

Third attempt:
Therefore, it is likely that some part of the operating system has been corrupted, I assume it is Windows, I advise you to remove some updates from it and reinstall.
(Remember to backup)

Fourth attempt (critical):
In the latter case, it would be to use the complete restoration (preserving the files) of the system itself (Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10).
(Remember to backup)

If none of this solves the problem, it is in the Hardware, yes it can influence, I have already been in a situation where a client's computer could not enable the sound card that the machine restarted.

Good luck

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You probably have some security software that is affecting the RMMV base system:
  • Antivirus
  • Bank protection module
  • Software and driver updater
  • Self-healing software (cleaning files and temporary records)

First try this:
Try to create a new user and see if the same problem persists.
If it doesn't work, you can delete it.

Second attempt:
See your motherboard model, go to the official website and download the recommended drivers.
(You can find out the model at the command prompt)

Third attempt:
Therefore, it is likely that some part of the operating system has been corrupted, I assume it is Windows, I advise you to remove some updates from it and reinstall.
(Remember to backup)

Fourth attempt (critical):
In the latter case, it would be to use the complete restoration (preserving the files) of the system itself (Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10).
(Remember to backup)

If none of this solves the problem, it is in the Hardware, yes it can influence, I have already been in a situation where a client's computer could not enable the sound card that the machine restarted.

Good luck
I'm trying to see if disabling Onedrive for the folder helps first, then I'll try what you've suggested. Thank you so much for the help. ^^

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your project is not saved on OneDrive, so disabling OneDrive will not make any difference.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have been having these crashes too, and I opened this thread to ask for support, in my case they started recently I think is related to Discord because I begun to use Discord recently.

Discord shows some notifications over RMMV engine, even over the database window.

Can you help me to do some tests? Try closing Discord when you work on RMMV, and lets see if this helps, I will try the same for a while.

=== UPDATE ===

Is not Discord.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?
Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralphthefifth