Create a game then get bored

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Daughter of Evil, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Daughter of Evil

Daughter of Evil Nightmare Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have you experienced working on a game then suddenly got bored; so you thought of a new game idea and started to

make it. After a few hours, sometimes minutes, you decided it wont work out so you stopped and went back to the game

you were making earlier. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    No.

graithallerne likes this.
  3. Blade

Blade Slicing~ Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    No, not really. I'm a focused worker :3

4. Jef299

Jef299 Fifteen Mush-ups! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I try my hardest to work on one project at a time.

When I get tired of making my game I simply take a break from it.

No sense in starting new projects if you didn't believe in the first one.

Chaos17 likes this.
  5. Hybrida

Hybrida I LOVE YOU TOO Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Nope. It doesn't happen like that for me. Normally I get bored of my primary project, and start a new one. The new one is 3 times better the my primary. Strangely I always continue work on my 1st project no matter how boring it gets ( I have to. It's my life's work ).  Staying focus is key, but thankfully all my new projects take place in the same 'universe' as my primary project. Just different stories, and a lot more action. 

6. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k

Surprised that there is a lot of 'nope's, but that's because I am the opposite, I can't seem to stay focused on a game for more than two weeks, and hardly, if ever, get back to it. That's why all the games I've complete are short...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
    C-C-C-Cashmere likes this.
  7. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Eh. i can never work on one project at a time. i'm always juggling stuff. Either I'm doing two paintings/drawings or two games. Like now I was just touching up on a new poster, and during my break added stuff to one of my games.

Octopus...

8. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not really.. I do occasionally lose motivation to work on my project or life takes me away from it (like currently we are prepairng for my wife to give birth in November, so lots of things to do) and so on.. but when you have actual spare time you can choose to work on your project or not. Generally, once the initial excitement fades and the real nitty-gritty work begins, it requires you to force yourself to work through those times. I often find that if I force myself to work for just 30 minutes on those days I am feeling less eager to work on the project, that 30 minutes quickly turns into 3 (or more) hours without any effort.. and then I am back into the project for another week or two. Setting milestone goals helps with this as well.. so say you have 5 main areas or cities in your game. You make a schedule that has each of those places being completed as a separate milestone..

9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I normally get bored at some point... especially, when I suddenly get new ideas that are quite different than my current project... when it happens, I just normally do something else for the moment while trying to regain motivation to work on the current project...

SlaveOfThaMind likes this.
  10. Chrome

Chrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    New idea's are very hard to come up with, and very rare when it accidentally happens, but when I lose motivation, I take a little break like a few days and start working again full speed. 

The Stranger likes this.
  11. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It used to happen to me a lot. I'd come up with an idea that I'd think is amazing, and then, after a while, I'd become bored with the entire concept and lose all motivation. I now take longer to develop ideas fully, I flesh them out as much as possible, and, ensure that I really do like what I'm creating, before I start working on it properly. A lot of people become excited about something, and then, after a little while, they no longer care for it; it's almost like a honeymoon period. I guess I used to become bored, because I never took into account how long it would take to turn my vision into a game. Taking regular breaks helps me out a lot, as well.

12. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    I wish I were like this. For me, New Ideas just keep coming and trying to yank me away from the one I'm working on.

The Stranger likes this.
  13. Chrome

Chrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't think so, even with all the great minds come together come to think of a new idea, it would be hard. Even if it was new, it's useless unless it is good. When was the last triple a title game you play that had a new idea? Exactly. Innovation is something that is very hard to come by. Innovation that is good can make you a rich man.

14. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    But that's just the problem. ANY of those ideas popping into your head could potentially be The One. With the right context, and enough hard work, you can potentially make any idea viable. And the problem is, I have a vivid imagination. I can imagine each of those working. I can see plot scenes, pivotal developments, dramatic tension, but I long ago learned that it's better to stick to one, even if it's not working out so much.

I guess ideas are like relationships in that way. You can either court a whole bunch and have a bunch of meaningless liaisons that lead nowhere, or settle in and work with just one (though unlike relationships, ideas at least have clean resolutions and don't require messy, hurtful break-ups to move on.)

The Stranger likes this.
  15. Peridot Gaming

Peridot Gaming Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No so much coming up with another game and moving on to working on that, but more along the lines of suddenly thinking of something cool to add and focussing on prototyping that instead.  It's like I am with my current project: I have done the rough-cut of the intro, but before getting on to guts of the game, I am now looking at script coding for some special features that I have on my list of "this would be cool to have".  Once I've figured those (or maybe just one) out and scripted, then I will be back into working on the main game again.

16. johngoldbeard

johngoldbeard Warper Member

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Yes and No.

Yes cuz actually at first planing of my game concept, im focused on it 'till i done with the story. Then, i begin to making to the game. But it's not easy as i tought and i always have no free time to making on it. So i stop it for a while and think again for new concept. Then I found new story and make as a second project. After than i confused on the second project story and stop.

I answer No cuz now i've got more free time to make and i never wasted that time. It's time to serius!

Sorry for the bad english before.

17. SleetyHalfling

SleetyHalfling Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm a perfectionist, and I haven't been at this for long...

But when I get some way into a project I generally notice things I could have done better, or more efficiently, which annoys me.

That kind of taints the project in my mind and I lose interest in it rather than plowing through it and fixing it -

Time for the next one I guess! It's early days for me though...

In my opinion, the best way to get back into your own project is to try some other people's attempts! Inspiration time!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  18. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I never really get 'bored' making a game, but my attention span is really short, unfortunately.

One moment I'd be going to town on a game, then the next someone messages me online about a video and I have Firefox open just like that. And then there are the moments I randomly want a snack (for a bit more context, I'm a big eater irl; not fat or anything, fairly slim for my size, but it's kinda easy for me to get hungry).

Laziness doesn't help, either. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  19. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ALL OF THE TIME.

While I work hard on my current project, I often write and try out new ideas. Sometimes ideas blossom into full-fledged games, others just give me a bit more experience for my current project. Sometimes Writer's Block just hits me randomly and I abandon an idea temporarily while working on a new idea.

20. Fatalfugus

Fatalfugus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Yeahhh this is pretty much why I haven't finished anything yet. I do this playing games too, constantly bouncing between different characters and decisions, trying to get the absolute perfect result, and end up never finishing it.