Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here's a video tutorial that demonstrates how to create your own pause screen using events.

Due to the limitations of event pictures (such as showing under windows and text and some other sprites), you will need scripts to bring it above other things.

Originally posted at HimeWorks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado Samurai

A Samurai of the Storms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for posting this! Honestly, I hadn't really thought about the Pause Screen. I used to think that the Menu Screen would just pause things.

Wait, does it? Or is this a tutorial for a customized Pause Screen?

Anyways, Thanks for the information! :D

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Depending on what kind of menu screen you have, it would pause things.

This type of pause screen is more like something you might allow players to use in the middle of battle or a cut-scene when they don't have access to the menu.

Or you can wait for someone to start talking...

Yes, the tutorial shows how to create a basic pause mechanic. You can then customize it further with more events.

Tornado Samurai

A Samurai of the Storms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for clearing things up! Can't wait to implement it. It's going to be very useful! :D

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's a cool idea.  Would this also be able to stop Parallel Process events while the Pause Screen is active?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's a cool idea.  Would this also be able to stop Parallel Process events while the Pause Screen is active?
Yes. The event is stuck in a loop while waiting for user input, and so the rest of the engine can't do anything while it's in there.

However, parallel process events will still execute before the event enters the loop, so things such as animations that occur outside of the loop may cause problems.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Terrible Writing Advice, you've done it again.
1635026211997.png
Feeling like my new profile picture is nice. Thinking of making it semi-permanent, does any one has an opinion? Does it look too evil or does it work as a public profile picture? :)
Bishiba.png
My washing machine is a supernatural being. I lost a piece of clothing in there a month ago; searched up and down, inside other clothes, nothing. It just vanished.
Today, put in a new load. When I pull it out, the missing clothing is back! And a sock was sacrificed in the process :yswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tjed