Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to be posting in,  I THINK this is the right spot to post this...

So I've been looking to basically create the ol' "Push a boulder in to a hole to create a bridge" puzzle.

I was looking on the net to see if I could find a guide to this process, as I am not the most gracious eventer...

I WAS going to use this guide, http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/23492-pushing-objects-into-water-to-make-bridges/

But as you can see, all the pictures which are supposed to show how the events are to look are all obsolete pictures, they're gone!. :(

I would follow this guide without the pictures, but I don't honestly think I could pull it off. >.>....

Question being, can anybody give me a helping hand for this puzzle?

Push boulder in to hole - rock drops in - can walk over rock, i'd like to be able to push 1 rock over the dropped rock to get to the 2nd hole past the first dropped rock to walk over.

in a similar sense to the demo video in the link i posted above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good try, but alas this is not the forum.  "How to...?" questions need to go in the Support forum for the particular engine you are using.  Based on the info under your avatar, that makes it for Ace.  So...

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker VX Ace. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK, so I can somewhat understand what they're saying.

1. Make your boulder event with the event touch trigger.

2.  On the event page, do conditional branches to check the direction of the player, then Set Move Route>This Event>(Move in whatever direction the player is facing)

3. Make your hole.

4. Create a Parallel Process event using Get Location Info. Should look like this:

Screenshot (39).png

Even though I used common events just to show you, use a regular event in this case. 

5. Make a conditional branch to check the boulder region, (in this case, if variable [12] == 1) then inside of it, Set another move route for the boulder to turn on through, so that it will fall into the hole. Then turn on a self switch where the boulder remains passable, but it can no longer be moved. This can be solved by leaving the page blank.  That's all! Hope this helps  :D  

Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm, i'm trying to do what you said, Got the boulder moving in one direction for now, for testing.

Can't seem to get the boulder to go over the hole, it tends to stop when it touches the tile and stops the game..

so would the hole be..

Same as characters - Parallel process.

Get location info: boulder Region, Region ID, Variable boulder x, Boulder y
Conditional branch: Variable Boulder region == 1

set move route: BoulderA(Through on)

else

branch end.

?

Where am I going wrong at this part?..

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, below characters. When you do a same as characters event, it's almost like an actual person, so it would be a little bit like a wall blocking any movement. 

Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I didn't think that below characters would work because it would make the hole able to be walked over, wouldn't it? I changed it to try any how.. and now the player can walk over the hole, and the boulder still gets stuck when it touches it, lol.

Hmm.. I think I'm going wrong more than just that place..

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Screenshots:

Screenshot (41).pngScreenshot (42).pngScreenshot (43).pngScreenshot (44).png

Ignore the two events on the top left. That was for something completely different. 

I was trying to also do a video test to show that it works, but the file size was too big.  :distrust:

Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure whats up here...I followed your steps perfectly, i noticed the hole was on same, not below so i switched and tried that even, on the 2nd page i left it below, and self switch A is on.

The boulder still gets stuck at the hole graphic..i placed the region id's down, tried them both ways, and still no go.

I can add pictures, might be a good idea...

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please do add the pictures, as I'm not quite sure what's going on. It worked perfectly when I did it. View attachment Project6 2016-06-18 2_04_41 PM.mp4. Keep in mind that when you make the regions, region 1 should be directly on the hole, and region 2 should be on every square around it. 

Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I made a little video and uploaded to youtube.

Maybe this will clear it up?

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The second page of the hole is supposed to be set to through. I looked at the video six times before realizing that (My fault, though, I forgot to take screenshots of the other pages). I don't think I would've been able to post them anyway, because I was just below the maximum space.  

Kudaaj330

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
this solved everything. :D Thanks so much, and don't worry about the miscommunication in instructions, i should know better probably lol.

Edit: I'm trying to add multiple rocks which you can push in whichever order which it doesn't  matter which rock goes in to what hole, so far I added the 1 new rock event , and added boulder x and boulder y for the new boulder event in the parallel process and added a move route for through on in the same conditional branch, and  region 45 for the rock event.

this allows for one of the boulders to get in to place of a hole, but the other rock vanishes as well, I'm going to tamper with this a bit.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yay  :D Glad it worked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!
Stream will be going live shortly! I will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, and then I will be switching to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Spent all day working on something that ultimately has nothing "flashy" to show at the end of it. But that sense of achievement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pineappletopcake