mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am working on creating a cutscene that is a memory. I've seen some in the past that went black and white to convey a memory. I was going for a "fuzzy" effect to show the same. I'm not sure I've accomplished that.

4izX0FP.png
I used a picture with semi-transparent color, fading to no color in the middle. Thoughts? Does this work? What could be done to improve it? (Does the fuzziness need to be more dramatic?)

I've also thought about initially fading out to a black map and using an animation of some sort to show that it is going into a memory before going on to the rest of the cutscene.

As you can see, I am so undecided about the best way to do this. Feedback is very welcome.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like how it looks as is, the way it fuzzes on the edges gives the impression that the memory is hazy and thus maybe not exactly as it appears. I don't know how much of a work in progress the actual map is but I for one am a fan of memory maps having the bare minimum in the background such as objects that the one remembering actually has contact with in the memory and generic furniture that you might remember. My rule of thumb is to pick a place I haven't been to in years and try to remember as many details as possible, often times we can remember conversations and emotions for a lifetime, but try to conjure the background and unless it's a place you've spent a ton of time with you'll find that the actual details escape you(at least they do for me.) and I just like having a map reflect that if it's for a memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I think it does give a fuzzy/hazy feel that you might expect to see with flashbacks/memories. Especially if it's in stark contrast to the rest of the game, I'd say it does what you set out to do.

Your fixtures at the back need to be a tile lower, or at least half a tile lower.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally, unless you tell me that it's a memory scene, I'd think it's more of a view of something that can either be: past,present or future...

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with Engr. Adiktuzmiko. I feel it more closely resembles an exaggerated vignette. Perhaps using a textured picture with transparency would convey the imagery better.

I'm certainly not a skilled artist, but something like this with enough opacity would distort it enough to imagine it's a blurry memory of some sort.

1780223_608069235944144_3440501994266757631_o.jpg
I probably should have stuck with a more basic color and just intensified the grain effect...

TheRiotInside

Extra Ordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The fuzzy, sepia-tone colour scheme should give most people a pretty big hint at it being a memory of the past. It would also depend on how you transition into the scene. I mean, no matter where you are in the game, if what's on the screen suddenly shifts to another scene with those effects and one of the characters you know in it, most people would presume it's a flashback or a memory. While the thought of it being in the future is interesting, I don't think the effects fit with that vibe, so that kind of eliminates that possibility.

I think what you have is fine, but again, the transition into that scene is also important! :)

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try a black and white or more sepia with a white fuzz. Normally I see white fuzzes on memory scenes.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, here's a couple of more shots, I think they work well. Much as Hotfirelegend suggested, what I did was: before transitioning to the memory, I did a slow tint to sepia, fade out, then in the actual memories, the sepia tint with a white fuzz:

V6epRTD.png

r5bnysN.png
I think the tint before transitioning out will help give a sense that it is shifting into memory mode.

And Shaz, yes thank you for pointing that out! It will have to wait until I feel like getting into the editor to change it a half tile, because a whole tile down looks terrible.

SLEEP

grunge rock cloud strife
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
emglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
go with black and white, your first instinct was right. it's a common shorthand across all visual mediums, so dont shy away from it for the sake of shying away from it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, actually I never said black and white was my instinct, just that I'd seen it used before. The fuzziness was really my first instinct. And I think with the right dialog beforehand and the fade-to-sepia transition, it will work well. I like the sepia tones, I feel it fits the western feel better.

I've made my decision here so this can be closed or left open to discuss other ways to create a good memory effect.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's now more obvious that it was a flashback... :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

At work.
Co: "This bug drove me insane. I tried a lot of things to debug, it just stuck".
Me: "How did you debug it?"
Co: *shows a complicated debugging method using breakpoints and everything*
Me: "What about ... " *casually prints a stack trace in the try/catch exception
Co: "Wait, you can do that??"
Totally original and unique OC
Harold.png
So after completing the Mass Effect Trilogy the first time as a Vanguard, I decided to replay the trilogy as a Soldier. Thus far, I've just finished the Horizon mission in ME2, and I'm already exhausted from ME2's f**k-awful enemy design.
If you are in these ices, I will give all the fire...
Yeah, now Yes !!!! "boom boom "
"Fire the monsters, guards!!!"

index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aevea