Vanilla

Loser
Reaction score
First Language
Scots
Primarily Uses
In my RPG I've got a system for customizing weapons and items by crafting to combine them into new weapons and items.

Solely for organization purposes, I'd like to create a new category to separate consumable items (to be listed simply as "Items") from customization items which cannot be consumed.

I have a screenshot of my progress on trying to make this.

From left to right is Items (intended for consumables), Weapons, Armors, Special (intended for Key Items), and a blank space that cannot be reached.

I made this blank space by editing the game's code to tell it the maximum amount of space is 5 rather than 4.

I would give this new category a name like "Customization" to indicate that its purpose is to store items only used for customization.

My question is:

Can I create a new category to fill this space, or am I just going to break my game trying?

If I can, how? So far, trying to add lines of code to the game's existing code next to the normal item category code throughout various menu and item related scripts has only caused the menu and/or the game itself to break (which I had  to fix by commenting out my changes)

rpg item type thing.PNG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please check the master script list - there are already several scripts that allow you to implement new cathegories.

If you don't have the link, it's on several topics in this forum - including the link to "how to use a script" in my signature

Vanilla

Loser
Reaction score
First Language
Scots
Primarily Uses
I've moved this thread to Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please check the master script list - there are already several scripts that allow you to implement new cathegories.

If you don't have the link, it's on several topics in this forum - including the link to "how to use a script" in my signature

There appears to be several scripts for equip types but no results when filtering for item types. Item types are what I'm trying to change.
I'm not exactly trying to request an existing script to add to Materials.

What I'm trying to do and asking about is modifying the Modules, Game Objects, and Windows scripts that RPG Maker VX Ace already has. I've already started to as indicated by my screenshot.
I'm just trying to further the modification in a way that doesn't break the game.

I would use Materials but I've already started to change the game's existing scripts.

An example of areas I'm trying to change would be "Window_ItemList"

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Include in Item List?
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def include?(item)
    case @category
    when :item
      item.is_a?(RPG::Item) && !item.key_item?
    when :weapon
      item.is_a?(RPG::Weapon)
    when :armor
      item.is_a?(RPG::Armor)
    when :key_item
      item.is_a?(RPG::Item) && !item.key_item?
    else
      false
    end
  end
I've tried messing around with this to also check for the condition of an item being my custom item type but doing this results in the game breaking when I access the inventory.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I'm trying to do and asking about is modifying the Modules, Game Objects, and Windows scripts that RPG Maker VX Ace already has.

That is a script request - it's not only about adding script but also modifying scripts.

And you searched for the wrong term -  I said search for Item categories, not for item types.

Because you don't want a different item type, you want regular items listed in a different category on the inventory screens.

The community and scripters have over the years developed their own forms of naming things, and I know that exactly what you want is available (you're not the first one who want such a thing), but it was never called "item types" before, earlier requests always asked for an option to sort items into different categories than the existing one.

Vanilla

Loser
Reaction score
First Language
Scots
Primarily Uses
That is a script request - it's not only about adding script but also modifying scripts.

And you searched for the wrong term -  I said search for Item categories, not for item types.

Because you don't want a different item type, you want regular items listed in a different category on the inventory screens.

The community and scripters have over the years developed their own forms of naming things, and I know that exactly what you want is available (you're not the first one who want such a thing), but it was never called "item types" before, earlier requests always asked for an option to sort items into different categories than the existing one.

My post wasn't trying to say it's not a script request. I was trying to say that I'm seeking scripting help rather than asking for a premade script to add.

I filtered by "item types" because that's what it's referred to as in RPG Maker under the Items tab of the Database.

The inventory displays normal items, weapons, armors, and key items. Weapons and armors are not types of items but Normal Items and Key Items are. By trying to organize these differently I'd be trying to create a new type or at the very least trying to make items act as if they were a new type.

Had I filtered using the term "item categories" or even just "categories" in the Master Script List even less results appear and still the results aren't what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm just trying to get advice on how to modify the scripts myself as so far I haven't been able to do much more than slightly edit the menu.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem here is that you can't change the editor. Because of that, no simple modification of the existing scripts will result in what you want - you'll need a full script including functions for reading the notetags (where you have to place the name for the new item cathegory), changing the inventory scene to add the new cathegories, adding a way to store the new info into the gamedata (reading the notetags everytime you open the inventory screen will cause more lag) and so on.

It is not a simple modification, even if the visual result doesn't seem to change much.

And when searching for something on the MSL, unfortunately you can't simply filter for certain words, because it might be named differently. I knew that such a script did exist because I once took about a month of time to check every script on the MSL, but of course I didn't remember every name in its exact spelling.

In this case, it now took me a few minutes to find the script, because it was named "Categorize Item Scene", not "Item Categories". Search for that name and you'll find it.

Vanilla

Loser
Reaction score
First Language
Scots
Primarily Uses
The problem here is that you can't change the editor. Because of that, no simple modification of the existing scripts will result in what you want - you'll need a full script including functions for reading the notetags (where you have to place the name for the new item cathegory), changing the inventory scene to add the new cathegories, adding a way to store the new info into the gamedata (reading the notetags everytime you open the inventory screen will cause more lag) and so on.

It is not a simple modification, even if the visual result doesn't seem to change much.

And when searching for something on the MSL, unfortunately you can't simply filter for certain words, because it might be named differently. I knew that such a script did exist because I once took about a month of time to check every script on the MSL, but of course I didn't remember every name in its exact spelling.

In this case, it now took me a few minutes to find the script, because it was named "Categorize Item Scene", not "Item Categories". Search for that name and you'll find it.

Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Enemies deserve some spotlight also
hackingCompressed.gif
I think I can make a text-based mini-game with almost zero art assets and with code only...just a lot of code as assets all by themselves. :kaojoy:
A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielTrain