Creating a Simple Row System

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by LunaCyclone, Oct 3, 2019.

1. LunaCyclone

LunaCyclone Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey! I'm having trouble with Yanfly's Row Formation.

All I want is the classic Final Fantasy rows, where any character can be targeted, regardless of row, and their position on the battlefield does not change (maybe with some slight variance in how far forward they are).

Yanfly's row system has the idea of fighting through lines which I can't seem to remove, and moving the party in the front row infront of those in the back, something I don't want in my game. I also don't have a clue what I'm doing with editing the X/Y crap. Everywhere I've looked there seems to be no answer for what I'm looking for. Thanks.

SoSick. likes this.
  2. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you explain what "classic Final Fantasy rows" are? I've played a couple FF and I don't know what you're talking about.

From the description, it sounds like:
    • You don't want the row to affect who can be targeted
    • You don't want the row to affect where the actor is positioned
    Can you explain what you *want* the row to do?

caethyril likes this.
  3. LunaCyclone

LunaCyclone Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What I want the row to do is use the states and keep the menu command, and only move the actors slightly back if they were in the back row.

4. caethyril

caethyril ^_^ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Plugin link for convenience: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Row_Formation_(YEP)

I don't think rows have any impact, by default, on target selection. If you're also using Yanfly's Selection Control plugin, however, that has an option to automatically restrict "melee" skills (specified via notetags or the default settings in the Plugin Manager) to the front row. You can disable that (or change the default from melee to ranged) via the plugin's parameters.

As for positioning, you'll need to adjust those X/Y formulae to suit your purposes. Since, like Aloe, I'm not sure what you want out of it, here's the default X-Position parameter value (a formula evaluated to decide each party member's X position) and a summary of what the various values mean:
    Code:
    maxRowX - (maxRows - rowId) * 112 + rowIndex * 32
    • maxRowX - defined by the Maximum Row X plugin parameter:
      Code:
      screenWidth - partySize * 32 - 16
      • screenWidth - the width (in px) of the visible game screen.
      • partySize - the number of party members currently present in battle
    • maxRows - defined by the Maximum Rows plugin parameter
    • rowId - the ID of the battler's current row (front row is 1, next is 2, etc)
    • rowIndex - the position of the battler within the current row (first is 0, then 1, 2, etc)
    So, the default formula says:
    • Start on the far right
    • Subtract 112 px per row from the back
      (I.e. 112 px between rows)
    • Add 32 px for each other member in the same row
      (I.e. each member is 32 px further right than the last)
    Similar thing applies to enemies, they have their own parameters right at the bottom of the list, which work in much the same way. For the plugin to reposition enemies accordingly, you have to set the Adjust Relative parameter to true (default is false). :)

Also, remember to save your project before testing otherwise any changes to the Plugin Manager will not be reflected during test~

gambitben and Aloe Guvner like this.