Creating a skill that requires a shield/armor/accessory

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Pocky, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone,

I searched on Google and in the forums here, and wasn't able to find an answer for this for MV.

I want to make a "Shield Slam" skill, that requires a Shield to be equipped. The drop down allows for weapons, and I figured that I could make a "shield" weapon type with 0 attack power, but I wanted to check to see if there are any other options.

I'm also having problems with letting characters who can dual wield still use shields. Again, I could make shields a weapon type, but I don't want the player to have 2 shields equipped (as neat as that might be).

Thoughts?

My apologies if these have been answered elsewhere.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could add an Add Skill trait to your shields so anyone who has a shield has that skill, and when they remove the shield, the skill is also removed.

3. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I had considered that, but I have two people who can use shields, but I only want one of them to have the shield skill.

The idea is the character can either fight with a sword and shield, a two handed sword, or two swords. Each type of weapon set has its own set of skills.

4. SgtBusCake

SgtBusCake Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This may be a temporary solution, but if you have the actor that you do not want to be able to use the skill, give the actor a Seal Skill (Shield Slam) trait. The Shield Slam will still appear when the shield is equipped, but the skill should be grayed out / unusable.

5. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Make two shield types one with shield skills the other without. Since the class/character will appear to use shields anyway it shouldn't be too jarring on the front end. Just remember the order you placed the shield with skills and shields without skills when making your armor

6. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This would work if there was only one skill, but I want to have several, based on the character level. It's definitely something to consider, though.

7. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    How would you handle things like selling shields to the player under this situation? Would there be two "wooden shield"s, in that case?

8. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What you need, is hime to convert this: http://himeworks.com/2013/11/custom-use-conditions/

Into a Java Plugin.

I checked on the site, and sadly it doesn't seem like he has done so yet. I suggest asking him about it, maybe he's working on it now or he'll get to working on it, if he knows people could use such right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
  9. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh wow, yes, that would totally solve the issue. o.o Thank you! 

10. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Variable calls. But since there's a plugin yay less coding

11. Pocky

Pocky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    As in, there's one already, or do you mean the potential one from Tsukihime? ^^;

12. StevenOlinger

StevenOlinger Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I found another temporary solution using a common event and a state.

first create a state that seals any skill you want to require a shield 2016-04-04 (2).png

second create a commen event with a conditional branch like so:

2016-04-04.png

Next create a Parellel Event that will run at the very start of your project. 2016-04-04 (3).png

And that's how I did it. This process will Seal Shield Slam and Shield Block unless I have a shield equipped.

Best Option I could figure out without any plugins.

I hope this helps.

Upon further inspection of this method I've realized it only works with the One Shield Armor used with the Common Event's Conditional Branch.

I solved the common event issue. Under your first conditional branches "Else" option insert a second conditional branch used for your second shield. Keep adding conditional branches to the "Else" portion of the previous branch until you have a branch for each of the shields in your data base. Then in the Very Last "Else" portion add the "Change State : (Actor), + (Shield Required State)

2016-04-04 (4).png

Although this seems like a lot of work it is the easiest alternative for those who have little to no Java Script Experience.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016