fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let's Create a Sunbeam Effect!

Pictures of sun rays you can likely find online, but who wants to go through the process of crediting someone when you can just make them yourself? =) I'll show you an easy way to create your very own sunbeam effect for your maps.

You Will Need...

• RPG Maker MV
  • Photoshop or Gimp
  • Plugin: foreground.js - found within your game files!
You can probably use another version of RPG Maker as long as you find the right script. As for the plugin, any overlay plugin will work :D but I am using foreground simply because it's included within the game already.

My Sunbeams

Attached to this post are the sunbeams I made for this tutorial! Feel free to use them. Credit is nice (because you can make your own!) but not necessary. Note that these should only be used on 17x13 map sizes, or they might end up looking a little funny.

!light-all1.png

!light-all2.png

!light-corner1.png

!light-corner2.png

Woratana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
I didn't know there is foreground.js before o___o

Great tutorial again lorelei ! :D

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@fallen lorelei -

You are very articulate, and are clear and easy to listen to. I hope you continue to make tutorials.

Your "mess up" is so well handled it actually ends up being constructive. =]

I hope you are or are planning to become a teacher. You obviously are gifted.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I didn't know there is foreground.js before o___o

Great tutorial again lorelei ! :D
It was the first plugin I used for my parallaxing before I realized BindPicturesToMap (and other similar plugins) was superior haha. But for a simple light ray, it does the trick!

Thanks!

@fallen lorelei -

You are very articulate, and are clear and easy to listen to. I hope you continue to make tutorials.

Your "mess up" is so well handled it actually ends up being constructive. =]

I hope you are or are planning to become a teacher. You obviously are gifted.
Omgosh thank you, that means a lot to me! I was actually an ESL instructor for 3 years (you caught me!) but it turns out I'm not a fan of face-to-face teaching... so I'm back in school getting my 2nd Master's for Instructional Design, which is - in a nutshell - making tutorials! Minus the special effects... It's so great to hear from someone that I'm on the right path!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another great tutorial!

InBlast

The Mad Hamster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
And another awesome tutorial.

I want more !

jackseg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Very good, thanks  :)

But for a big map, with scrolling, I fail to align the edges. Have you a solution ?

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very good, thanks  :)

But for a big map, with scrolling, I fail to align the edges. Have you a solution ?
Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "align the edges." Adding a ! at the beginning of the filename should be keeping it in place, though.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "align the edges." Adding a ! at the beginning of the filename should be keeping it in place, though.
He is talking about tiling the image. When an image scrolls over the screen, the edges can look funky if they aren't tiled.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another tutorial from you. Once again, you make the basics interesting to watch and I like that you kept it short this time as well. Good stuff!

solracgg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
great tutorial. can you give an tips on how I could make sunbeams coming through a window?

Phil32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just discovered this tutorial, and it will be of great help when I start jazzing up my maps. Thanks so much for sharing these tips in an easily digestible format!

Just one question: Is there such a thing as using this visual trick too much? When would it be best to use this sunbeam visual trick, even if I have a lot of outdoor maps?

Last edited by a moderator:

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Excellent tutorial! Nice work. Adds a bit of life where there wouldn't be normally, and it's easy to do.

Croatz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great tutorial, very easy to follow and understand.

Joronjo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Spanish
Primarily Uses
Your tutorial is great and simple and if you want i have some small tips for making the lines more straight. If you hold Shift while drawing with a brush it will lock it in a direction so you can make the lines straight and just rotate them when you're done. Alternatively, you can (while still holding shift) click first where you want the line to start and ten again where you want the line to end. PS will automatically make a line from point A to B. (Don't know if this works on GIMP though)

Lady_Elva

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's Create a Sunbeam Effect!

Pictures of sun rays you can likely find online, but who wants to go through the process of crediting someone when you can just make them yourself? =) I'll show you an easy way to create your very own sunbeam effect for your maps.

You Will Need...

• RPG Maker MV
  • Photoshop or Gimp
  • Plugin: foreground.js - found within your game files!
You can probably use another version of RPG Maker as long as you find the right script. As for the plugin, any overlay plugin will work :D but I am using foreground simply because it's included within the game already.

My Sunbeams

Attached to this post are the sunbeams I made for this tutorial! Feel free to use them. Credit is nice (because you can make your own!) but not necessary. Note that these should only be used on 17x13 map sizes, or they might end up looking a little funny.

View attachment 25725

View attachment 25726

View attachment 25727

View attachment 25728
there is no foreground.js in my game files, nor is it in the rpgmmv file. I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I'm lost.

tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Lady_Elva MV Steam version, foreground.js can be found on -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\dlc\KadokawaPlugins

Non-Steam, download should be in your email when you bought MV.

Lady_Elva

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lady_Elva MV Steam version, foreground.js can be found on -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\dlc\KadokawaPlugins

Non-Steam, download should be in your email when you bought MV.
Thank you <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character for the first game was originally going to become a member of the party in the third game but I'm probably changing him to an important NPC instead. That brings the third game's total ensemble roster down to nine with one optional secret character.
Please check out my threads here:

1920's Character Sprites

As well as my YouTube channel:

Let's Play - 1927: The Age of Cthulhu
hi i would like to know if you could help me i am looking for resources for the character generator
I need medieval clothes, demon horns
Stress testing my latest version of the game with my new madness engine. :LZSexcite:

Hello, where can I find the list of all watched threads? I've been using the Watch function to save the Threads I want to keep but I don't find the list anywhere....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nashistory