Kionea

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking to create a time system akin to Majora's Mask and looking for input on what would be the best way to go about doing it. I've looked into Moghunter's time system plugin and it would probably work, but it also seems a bit complex for what I have in mind and I'm wondering if there's a simpler way, either another plugin or ideas on how I could DIY it. The primary features would be:

A timer that progresses to a certain point then forces a game over.

The ability to set events as well as NPC movements based on the time. This is a big one and probably the one I'm having the most trouble getting my head around, i.e. how to ensure NPCs are at the right point in their walk cycles at the right time.

Time must be able to pause on certain maps and when dialogue windows are open.

The ability for the player to slow or speed up time.

The ability to reset time back to the start.

And a HUD element that shows the time of course.

Secondary features that aren't quite as important would be things like automating tinting for different times of day or the ability to skip to specific points in the time cycle, but those aren't necessarily uhh...necessary. If I were to do it myself I imagine I could probably get away with doing it all through variables but it'd probably get pretty messy and convoluted real quick.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aside from the HUD, everything else can easily be done by eventing.

A scripted time system may have several handling advantages, but as you already said it would also mean that you'll have a package that is difficult to change - if the script/plugin does not contain an option, it is often more difficult to include.

your biggest problem here is that only one map exists at any time, and that means the events on those other maps don't exist either. This is usually handled by the events on a map simulating what was supposed to happen while the player was on a different map.
So you simply cannot ensure that NPCs are at a position while the player is on a different map - because neither that NPC event nor that position exists if the player is not on that map.

If your game can simulate passed time that way, then there are ways to handle this - for example simply make an event with multiple pages, conditioning those pages to a time variable.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would recommend just using Moghunters time plugin. It's very easy to setup and it does everything you are looking for.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.
About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...
I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenWings