Creating additional Actor Command Windows in Battle (now with pictures!) [VX Ace]

The_Sarah

Let's make great games together!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello All!

I am trying to make an additional Actor Command Window for a subset of "quick" skills that you pick from after you've picked your Actor's primary action for that turn.
Then, when the turn plays out, your Actor will do both their Primary Action followed by their "quick" Sub Action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the turn would play out like this:

Menus:
01 - [Fight] / [Escape]
02 - [Attack] / [Skill] / [Guard] / [Items]
03 - Skill List (if applicable) / Items List (if applicable)
04 - [Sub Skills] / [No Follow Up]
05 - Sub Skill List (if applicable)

Turn In Action:
Turn Start (actor is faster than enemy in this example)
Actor [Attack] / [Skill] / [Guard] / [Items] is used
Actor [Sub Skills] / [No Follow Up] is used
Enemy [Attack] / [Skill] is used
Turn End

Here's an example with pictures (using Notepad in place of additional menus):
01 ([Fight] / [Escape])
Sub Menu 01.png
02 ([Attack] / [Skill] / [Guard] / [Items])
Sub Menu 02.png
03 (Skill List - These skills are placeholder, not specifically relevant)
Sub Menu 03.png
04 ([Sub Skills] / [No Follow Up])
Sub Menu 04.png
05 (Sub Skills List - Again, placeholder examples, but you can see it's another skill list, this time for the additional Sub Skill)
Sub Menu 05 proper.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having a really difficult time trying to figure out how to make new windows within battles, so if anyone has any ideas on where I can start looking or what I can start tinkering with to begin making this happen I'd really REALLY appreciate it.

(it's probably something really simple that I've yet to find like a lot of coding problems turn out to be lol)

Either way, thanks for taking the time to read this.
All the best,
- The Sarah

Last edited:

The_Sarah

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
72 hours later so I think I can... BUMP!

Lol.

Anyone have any thoughts then?

I'm in the middle of The Infamous Bon Bon's windows tutorial at the moment and hoping the knowledge I gleam from that will lead me to figuring this one out, but would still love it if someone could stop by here and just give me a pointer or two toward making this happen.

P.S - Not gonna lie, I'm a bit sad that my first post on this site has now garnered over 100 views but no replies lol... oh well.

The_Sarah

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update (does that count as bumping? sorry if it does):

So! After 3 days of much learnin'...
- I think I've figured out that basically what I'm trying to do is trick the game's action times into giving me another action per character - but then making it so that that second action per character isn't from the Actor Command Window but rather a Sub Command Window (actor command window variant / sub class).

-- But the problem stems from not only creating this new action time Sub Command Window set, but also from the fact that I've already tied 'amount of action times per character' to their difference in agility in comparison to the enemy troop.

--- So I've got to figure out a way to... wait what if I use script calls within common events tied to the skills in the database?
Maybe I could do a script call common event that adds an action time for that turn only while also summoning my Sub Command Window set and temporarily (for the rest of that turn) hides the main Actor Command Window set?

Wellp, time to come out of the main Script Editor and try that!

Lol, I've never really messed with script calls via skills or common event scripting before... wish me luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confessors