OliverMUK

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all

I've been challenged to create a small RPG by my kids, for them to play on their switches. My main laptop is Windows based.

I've seen that MV is coming out for switch later this year. Does this mean that any RPG created with MV on Windows will be exportable to the switch, or would I have to use MV *on* the switch to create an RPG for that platform?

Olly

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really wish Kadokawa didn't name it MV. I know it was probably for name recognition, but it's causing problems. Switch MV is different from PC/Mac/Linux MV. Degica (the company that runs this site) has the distribution rights to MV for the PC, but they don't handle the console stuff at all. So if there's a console version (playstation, DS, Xbox, Wii, whatever) it's not handled here, and we don't have any information on it. This is just a long way to say that they're not the same program and we don't support the Switch version. Doesn't answer your question though.

As far as I'm aware, if you use a browser you can play a game made in the windows version of MV to play on the switch. It's not going to run natively, and doing it this way has some limitations, but unless the Switch has some sort of built in lockout for doing certain things on the internet, this should work. However, if you want to be certain that it's going to work, you'll want to make it on the Switch version. I have no idea if making it that way will work on the PC though. You'll probably need to choose which one is more important to you.

My personal opinion is that since your goal is to do something small for your kids, you should make it on the PC. My dad would make games for us when we were kids, and as an adult I would love to go back and play some of those again. Your kids want it on the switch because that's what's current, but it won't be around for as long as PCs are likely to be, making it on PC is a little more future proof. But that's just my experience, you know your kids and what they're likely to want better than me.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as I'm aware, if you use a browser you can play a game made in the windows version of MV to play on the switch. It's not going to run natively, and doing it this way has some limitations, but unless the Switch has some sort of built in lockout for doing certain things on the internet, this should work. However, if you want to be certain that it's going to work, you'll want to make it on the Switch version. I have no idea if making it that way will work on the PC though. You'll probably need to choose which one is more important to you.
AFAIK, the Switch still does not have a browser. Well, it technically does, but it's hidden and you have to do some funky stuff to access it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My tutorial is live! It covers using Yanfly's weapon unleash to replace the basic attack skill with a more dynamic version depending on which weapon type the actor has equipped. It also includes how to import a custom function used to generate a random number within supplied minimum and maximum values, used in the replaced skills, to give weapons a set damage range.
What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap_Bucky_OHare