Telemindred

Telemindred the Archmage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm wanting to ask people here first before making any decisions on the content of my game. Essentially I wanted to see if it was possible to create a game, finalize it and finish it up, but then create, so to speak, DLCs for that game, which basically add new areas or content that wasn't there before.

For context, I'm making a game for my roleplaying forum where we're clearing 100 floors of a dungeon. We've cleared 25, but it's taken a long time to get there. What I basically wanted to attempt was make a game for floors 1-25, and as we reach the next marker, create floors 26-50, as a DLC, and add it onto the game without overriding character information.

Is there a method in which this is possible? Or is this method difficult/near impossible even with scripts?

cradth

:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it can be made by using some kind of install creator. First, you create one with ALL game data in it, release it as the full version of the game. And later, you can make another one with just ADDITIONAL data, for example, weapon data, map098, map099 on so on for DLC. And make sure, it has the same destination folder. Just sharing what I know. Hope that helps. :)

Telemindred

Telemindred the Archmage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it can be made by using some kind of install creator. First, you create one with ALL game data in it, release it as the full version of the game. And later, you can make another one with just ADDITIONAL data, for example, weapon data, map098, map099 on so on for DLC. And make sure, it has the same destination folder. Just sharing what I know. Hope that helps. :)
Is there a tutorial for this anywhere?

cradth

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there a tutorial for this anywhere?
I've been using install creator from clickteam. this software UI is quite simple, to the point you don't need any tutorial.

Telemindred

Telemindred the Archmage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been using install creator from clickteam. this software UI is quite simple, to the point you don't need any tutorial.
Awesome! Thank you very much Cradth!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can be done, but there is a very important condition for this:
every update you do needs to contain all previous updates, and you can never remove objects from the game by any update/DLC.

The problem is that the engine is ID-based, and if you remove old IDs then the newer data in the savefiles will adapt, messing up everything.
so you'll need to keep all old data from the basic game and all previous DLC, and all new DLC has to include all old data. No one will be able to chose between different DLC, it has to be a series of updates in exactly the correct order.

Thefirelion

Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Look for the "Hime data patcher" or "yami patch system" script that can basically achieve what you want, but in terms of security, Yami's is the best option but you need the core script and you should check if it is compatible with your other scripts or core / cores you are using

cradth

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awesome! Thank you very much Cradth!
You're welcome. Oh Andar's right. Just like what he said, my method has that one very important condition. You can't change what you have already in the database, so if the DLCs has connection with the previous data (Most of the time, it has.XD ) or if you want to fix glitches, then you need all previous updates, including the old data. Audio, fonts and img folder are the only things you can left behind in the DLCs. :)

Telemindred

Telemindred the Archmage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it can be done, but there is a very important condition for this:
every update you do needs to contain all previous updates, and you can never remove objects from the game by any update/DLC.

The problem is that the engine is ID-based, and if you remove old IDs then the newer data in the savefiles will adapt, messing up everything.
so you'll need to keep all old data from the basic game and all previous DLC, and all new DLC has to include all old data. No one will be able to chose between different DLC, it has to be a series of updates in exactly the correct order.
Yeah that makes sense. It shouldn't be that big of an issue, as my plan is to add onto everything else, not change or remove anything. Thanks for the heads up Andar!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Generate Actors, Dark Fantasy Monsters, & I Heard There Was a Chosen One, | RPG Maker News #42

Work on Cat Quest: The Last Catmancer continues slowly but surely. :kaopride: Today I received the Game Over screen from @Finnuval!
GameOver.png
Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingMeteor277