Creating combo-attacks

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I had an interesting idea for a battle mechanic but I'm not sure how to make it happen. It's possible it's beyond me but I thought I should at least ask for help first.

I want a battle system where if more than one party member uses the deafault attack to target the same enemy, they would perform a specific combo-attack instead of their normal attacks. Ideally, the attack would differ depending on who is involved.

Example: There are four party members, A, B, C and D. If A and B targets the same enemy they'll perform the AB combo attack. If A, B and D targets the same enemy they'll perform the ABD combo attack. It would be great to calculate the damage in part with a formula referring to both party members stats/equipment/whatever too.

Well, the idea is pretty straight forward like that but I imagine the execution could be tricky, especially since I can't program.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would definitely require a plugin. Furthermore, I would consider that kind of plugin "complex" for any free to use public plugin. It would require:
- Changes to the battle core.
- Specific animations for every combo.
Also, it would make the battle system incompatible with variants like ATB battle system. I suppose if you're aiming for the traditional battle then it doesn't matter much.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My immediate thought would be simplifying it and using States to figure out who is attacking. Like, A attacks, and puts a (probably hidden) state on the enemy. When B attacks, you could have some javascript code using Yanfly lunatic action sequences that says, like. "If enemy has state X, then force action Y" where Y is a special skill that's the "combo" you are thinking.

Zevia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would definitely require a plugin. Furthermore, I would consider that kind of plugin "complex" for any free to use public plugin
Agreed. When an Actor selects an action, it's ultimately added into an array, then the enemies add their actions to the array, and it's sorted in AGI order. You'd have to modify the battle engine to, before executing actions from the array, loop through it and see who's targeting the same enemy. Then you'd have to remove any actions with the same target from the array, then add a new one in.

Additionally, you'd have to figure out the turn order - if a really high AGI Actor targets the same enemy as a really low AGI Actor, but the enemy has a medium level of AGI, then what order do the actions happen? Does the combo come before the enemy's action or after?

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks guys. So a plugin is needed, well, I figured as much. I'll go ahead and assume such a plugin doesn't exist, and while it's a cool idea I don't think it's worth paying someone to do a complex plugin for it to work. Even less so if it might spell comparability issues with what I'm already using. But I appreciate everyone's input. :kaoluv:

@fallenlorelei
Yeah that's where my thoughts went at first but I think that would be a bit weird and not as intuitive. What can be done without any plugin is not really a team attack/combo attack like I was suggesting but more of a chain-attack, where each actor puts specific states on certain foes which affects all the attacks that comes after. It's actually very different (although, that too can be a fun thing I guess).

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another long term investment would be to learn coding lol. Best way to achieve everything you want and not paying a dime.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28
True but it’s not for me. I’m already invested into drawing/painting and writing and I can’t keep adding to that plate, else I’ll be so-so at everything. Besides, if I were into coding Iwould probably choose another engine alltogether - maybe game maker?

Oh, and I found this plugin by @Victor Sant :

Not 100% sure it’s up to date (don’t know if he still makes/updates plugins) but if it is, it might be what I was looking for. :kaoluv:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that plugin is what you're looking for, then great!

And yeah, I understand someone can't really specialize in everything. I myself am terrible at drawing lol. I focus on coding and composing and rely on graphical resources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is it so hard to accept existential stoicism? To insist stoics must be deterministic is like insisting God couldnt create evolving animals. Drop the dogmas and concider the compatible mechanics
I just had a duel at Duel Links, and started right away with a fusion monster... felt like an actual yugioh main character :3
Now listen closely... Here's a little lesson in trickery, This is going down in history...
So the four of my friends are singing a song and I'm like... ohoho I don't know this song. Better act like I do!
A boss that spams confuse, blind, silence, oil and slow on all party members? Good idea FF12 *headdesk*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedReaper204