Creating Custom Battle Systems/Mechanics

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by lerugray, Sep 13, 2017.

1. lerugray

lerugray Veteran

Hello all

Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but im close to buying MV after finding out there's possible support for isometric dungeon crawls coming (like shin megami tensei, wizardry etc), and with that said, I want to use MV to design a game using party based RPG Mechanics I fleshed out years ago.

So I'm wondering, with MV, would it be possible, and how would it be done (or a link showing how), to do the following:

Create custom attributes, edit existing ones to correspond to said attributes, an example being like, in Call of Cthulhu, HP is Vitality multiplied by Size or something similar.

Create custom skills/skill checks in the game, as in something like Baldur's gate, steal, lockpick, etc.

Multi Classing that allows individual leveling in each class, I believe thats how FF Tactics works, in that after being a level 6 squire you would class change to a knight and keep your normal level, but you would be a class level of 1 for the knight class.

Use own battle system, instead of using whatever MV defaults to, something more traditional like implementing a to hit chart with with then rolling of damage dependent on both attributes and equipment as in original D&D. Also would display who would be next to act in a way similar to Ettrian Oddesy

Procedural Generation, wondering how possible this would be for as an example, having one area in the game that is a randomized dungeon with random more powerful loot the further down you go.

Permadeath - get rid of the traditional save mechanics, game automatically saves at various points, immediately saves after death. Can stop a game and then start again, but said save would be deleted immediately upon death.

Wondering if these things are indeed possible with MV, if so, it will be totally worth my time to invest a bunch of work into it. The only thing stopping me previously was it was almost impossible for me to figure out how to do this with VX Ace or XP.

Thanks for reading
    Ray

2. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are all done via plugins, either finding ones that someone else has written, it knowing / learning enough Javascript to write your own. The only thing plugins can't modify is the editor itself, you have to put most plugin-related stats or special traits in the noteboxes. Though a few recent plugins have had GUI editors that you use during debugging to get around that- Yanfly's doodads and SumRndmDde's HUD editor come to mind.

3. lerugray

lerugray Veteran

Thanks! Would one need to make changes to the editor to do any of the things I mentioned? Or is all of this essentially within the realm of possibility given coding and plugins

4. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Changes to the editor are near impossible and would be illegal. However, since graphical rendering is based on editable scripts, it is well in the realm of javascript and editor to use all you mentioned. For some, like the custom attributes, there are already plugins, for custom battle systems too.

5. lerugray

lerugray Veteran

Ok sweet! Yes and I looked up Yanfly's pluglins which seem to add more functionality to the program, between those and the JS classes im taking I think I should be set then.

If I have any questions on like say "how do I go about using my own battle system", where I would then describe how I want the system to work, where would be the best place to post those? Thanks everyone for their help so far

6. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That would go to javascript/plugin support, probably. It depends on the exact thread. If it is something as complex as "how to create battle system that does this", it would be in javascript/plugin support if you required a plugin or if you wanted to event it, probably on RPG maker MV forum.
    However, be aware that in huge features such as battle system you need to differentiate between "Help me create a battle system" and "I have an idea about a battle system, tell me how do I create it." and really ask when you have a problem with small things inside the system, not how to make the whole system from scratch... Because the latter would be designing a huge part of your game for you, which probably nobody would do unless paid.
    So be prepared to get acquainted well with the engine.

Doktor_Q and lerugray like this.