Creating enemy reinforcements/waves in event editor

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been trying to create a combat encounter where, once a select number of enemies have been defeated, more will appear without exiting the battle. Three waves total, there are the first two enemies, then a secondary wave of more enemies, then once that wave is finished, then boss enemy appears. My issue is that once the first two enemies have been killed, the fight just ends then and there. My first attempt was creating a page of conditional branches and using an EnemyDefeated variable. Once an enemy is defeated, it adds to that variable, and once the variable reaches a certain number, the next wave appears. Any advice would be much appreciated!
1621622890258.png1621622923192.png

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can get around the engine's issue of not triggering these kinds of events if the last enemy dies by making your Paladins Knockout-resistant and checking for their HP being 0 instead; then in addition to making the new paladin appear, inflict knockout on the previous one.

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can get around the engine's issue of not triggering these kinds of events if the last enemy dies by making your Paladins Knockout-resistant and checking for their HP being 0 instead; then in addition to making the new paladin appear, inflict knockout on the previous one.
Gave it a shot by creating an event page in the troop encounter that checks if the paladin's health reaches 0%. Once it does, it adds to the Paladinsdefeat variable. The next event page checks if the variable has reached a certain amount, then inflicts the enemies from the past wave with knockout once the next wave appears. The issue comes during gameplay. I damage the enemies past their max health and the event editor doesn't read their health pool being empty. Almost like being knockout resistant gives them infinite health instead of just not dying. (Think godmode vs. buddha mode in source games)
1621659252256.png1621659270907.png

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gave it a shot by creating an event page in the troop encounter that checks if the paladin's health reaches 0%. Once it does, it adds to the Paladinsdefeat variable. The next event page checks if the variable has reached a certain amount, then inflicts the enemies from the past wave with knockout once the next wave appears. The issue comes during gameplay. I damage the enemies past their max health and the event editor doesn't read their health pool being empty. Almost like being knockout resistant gives them infinite health instead of just not dying. (Think godmode vs. buddha mode in source games)
View attachment 189900View attachment 189901
The condition "Don't Run" never runs is your problem. If you want to have a "check every turn" event then make the condition "turn end". If you want to check HP then have the condition be "Hp".

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The condition "Don't Run" never runs is your problem. If you want to have a "check every turn" event then make the condition "turn end". If you want to check HP then have the condition be "Hp".
Actually haven't of that before, I have always considered Don't Run to be a catch all condition to fall back on. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I have tried two different ways, first is the way in my first attempt, except it checks on Turn End if the paladin's are inflicted with knockout, then add to the variable. Then the other event pages are also Turn End. It checks if the variable is at 2, then spawns in the next wave. Same issue where battle ended early.
Then I tried the knockout resistant method and the same issue popped up. The system never checked if the paladin's HP was under their max.
Then I tried adding the turn end condition to the paladin's health being lowered and it worked! Until it went under 80% or below. Then the system (for some reason) stops checking the enemies health. After being 99% or below, it would add to the variable, then the next wave would spawn at the end of the turn once the variable reached two.
Another thing to note is that when the next event triggered, the first enemies weren't inflicted with knockout even when specified by the system.
1621825446781.png1621825460987.png

Attachments

• Inkede8abf8d6-f44b-40a5-b933-34d867fec7d7_LI.jpg
    Inkede8abf8d6-f44b-40a5-b933-34d867fec7d7_LI.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For the not getting knocked out problem, try removing immortal and then adding knockout.

For the other problem, I think you should try adding the turn condition of turn 0 + 1 * x(you'll see it's one of the check boxes) and check the health of your target with a conditional? I'm pretty sure the "check for health" trigger condition only runs once so if you need it to check every turn that that's true, just make the trigger condition every turn with a conditional.

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the not getting knocked out problem, try removing immortal and then adding knockout.

For the other problem, I think you should try adding the turn condition of turn 0 + 1 * x(you'll see it's one of the check boxes) and check the health of your target with a conditional? I'm pretty sure the "check for health" trigger condition only runs once so if you need it to check every turn that that's true, just make the trigger condition every turn with a conditional.
That helped a lot! Luckily, the system now counts enemy health once it has been drained past 70% instead of 90 (I've been making sure I hit Apply just in case and it won't trigger past 69%(Nice)). Removing immortality then adding knockout didn't help at first, but giving the entire troop immortality at turn 0 then removing it fixes that issue. After much frustrations and testing, I found that using A+1*X rule on the health condition breaks the event somehow. After changing it so it checks health and only Turn End, the cap for the lowest health is 56% which is a really odd percentage to cap at. 55% and below will not trigger the next wave for some reason.

Edit: After each test, the threshold increases then decreases. 56 works, then it doesn't. 60 works, then it doesn't. Then 70% works, then it doesn't. I do around 108 damage at least with a single attack. The enemies only have 250 health. After 8 full rounds go by, the event won't trigger. Sometimes it does. It is odd and I guess it works????? I'm not sure why RPGmaker MV does this. All in all, the only remaining issue now is getting the next wave to trigger.

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
span battle means it will only run that event page once per battle so need the condition to be 0 HP.
and dont need turn condition since want this to run as soon as they hit 0HP.
having the turn end condition could mean acter 1 kills it but actor 2,3,4 all attack it after since not dead.

Last edited:

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick update, I decided to add a textbox that displays what the enemies defeated variables is at. My current issue is that, even after reaching beyond the damage condition, the next wave won't trigger. My first thought was that the health condition was the thing not reading, but the text box proved that theory incorrect.
Two tests, one with 70% health or below, next with 50% health or below. 70%, the variable is counted up and displayed. Once it reached two, the next wave triggers correctly.
50% or below, the variable is displayed, it is counted correctly, and yet the next wave does not trigger, even while the variable is at 2.
I then created a powerful dev weapon to just get through testing super quickly and I did 1000+ damage per turn. Now whatever the percentage is at, the wave won't trigger although it technically falls under the condition.
Here is my theory: The enemies don't have infinite HP, they simply take infinite damage. The system is checking for enemies health, but once it is past 250, it reaches negatives and once it does, it technically falls under the condition, but it doesn't trigger the next wave due to their health being under 0.
I tried circumventing this by doing an check if the enemy HP reaches 0% or below, then use a variable equal to their health, then set that variable to 1. Now their health is over 0 and the next wave should trigger. It didn't work at first so I tried doing the same to the player HP and it outright didn't work.
I feel like we're very close to figuring this out, any advice would be a huge help!
1621921406488.png
(This causes a hardlock, don't do this but this is vaguely what I want to do to incase their HP drops under 0. Just set it to a number above zero but still fits the HP condition so the next wave spawns.)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm tempted to leave the Fight/Escape choice in the Boss Battle submission and make Escape pop up Nedry from Jurassic Park: "Uh uh unh!"
Is it weird that i feel overwhelmed from reading codes that i wrote few months ago? Lol.

I dont even know where to continue!:hsad:
Ami
Gosh,I want to Play this Game Again one more again!

Seeing my Own Character & Kannono Once Again!
Tales_of_the_World_Radiant_Mythology_3_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg
I've been a bit to depressed to get work done on the game lately. Don't worry, I'll be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abishanth