Creating opening scene

sipac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm creating an opening scene (as our RPG Maker guy doesn't have internet access) so I'm having a go even though I'm actually the writer :)

I want to make both characters walk towards the end of the cliff and talk. I've managed to create two events and have them walk to the end of the cliff, but after that, there is no speech.

Also, it said I needed to create a player starting position which I've done but now there's 3 characters on the map instead of 2. Furthermore, once both events walk to the cliff, there is no speech and you cannot control the main character. So the only option is to turn the game off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

game.jpg

game2.jpg

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, lets start with the event type.

You set your event to autorun, that event will take priority over everything else, basicly freezing your control.

You will need to properly end that event, so you get the control back.

Next the starting position, yes you need to set that on your map, but you need to remove the character graphic in the database, sou you don't actually see your player character.

Then yea, 2 events for your 2 persons.

So lets go for your "cut scene" event.

You can do that in one of those 2 events that are your persons, or in a new one, doesn't really matter.

Lets go with the one you started. Autorun is ok, but the first bubble your showing should be on top of the event you want it on, since you have it shwoing above your player, which shouldn't be right.

Also, you shouldn't do the movement how you did it so far, but instead do it with movement commands right in the event, where you have your text.

So put all the movement for both chars in there, before the text you want to display.

Then after you said everything you wanted to, you need to end that autorun event.

Use a self switch, should be on commands page 1, "control self switch", you should be able to find it.

Turn self switch A ON there.

Then you need to create a 2nd event page (where it says "create new event page" on the top), make it on action button as the trigger and check self switch A in the options on the left.

That way your cutscene pulls through and turns the event into a blank one at the end, gicing you control over you character again.

After your done, you need to change the graphic of your player back to what it should be ("change actor graphic" somewhere in the commands) and then teleport the player onto the next map.

Last edited by a moderator:

The JJ

Black
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all don't use custom for the main character. Also make the main character walk with his lover instead of an event. Make the event movement process and make them walk how many steps you wish. Then after the dialogue add Self switch A and add a new page and tick self switch A on the left side. Do you get it?

EDIT: Yeah just read Necromus's :p

sipac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
thanks for the help guys. What do you mean by ''But the first bubble your showing should be on top of the event you want it on, since you have it shwoing above your player, which shouldn't be right.''

EDIT: Also, I can get the woman moving, but not the man...I'm not sure why he wont move and follow her

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
The very first line in the screenshot you posted.

Balloon Icon: Player, Heart

You want to show a heart icon, but it's set to show up on the player, which you can't see after all, so that needs to be the event on which it actually is supposed to be on.

Yeah its actually called balloon, i just tend to call them bubbles, as in speechbubbles :p

sipac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure why the guy wont move now :wacko: The woman moves but the guy doesn't and he's just frozen there so I cannot control him either.

I just want him & her to automatically walk to the cliff edge.

game2.jpg

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You need to put all the movement stuff in 1 event, for both events you actually want to move.

Here again, you set the movement to the player, but you need to choose the actual event, since you want to move them, not the player.

sipac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You need to put all the movement stuff in 1 event, for both events you actually want to move.

Here again, you set the movement to the player, but you need to choose the actual event, since you want to move them, not the player.
Ahhh, got it :-D Working now. Thanks Necromus

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Your welcome :)

sipac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, one more question. When I use the Self Switch A, and do a test preview of the game, the woman is gone and the event/cut-scene wont start?

Any ideas??

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You need to create a 2nd event page in the event where everything happens and set the condition for that one to Selfswitch A, if you do it on the first page, it will never start.

1st page -> all the movement, balloon icons, text etc. -> at the end of that page change Selfswitch A to ON

2nd page -> empty page, Selfswitch A in the conditions here (left side) and the event type needs to be On Action Button (not autorun).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In a related question (learned a lot from this thread, by the way), my current project would involve both a credit movie and a pre-game dialog scene (that may or may not be voice acted) on a black screen as an opening event.  How would I go about coding that into the event as an opening event?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamioshi