Creating scaling damage formula

Miguelitojimz

Miguel Jimenez (Constructo Games)
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I'm looking for a scaling formula for damage in VX ace, since i don't know if there's a script in VX Ace similar to Yanfly's armor scaling in MV.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What does it do?

Miguelitojimz

Miguel Jimenez (Constructo Games)
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
What does it do?
"Armor Scaling allows the damage formula to be rid of “b.def * 2” and similar calculations in favor of scaling the damage relative to the armor values that the attack target has."
Basically, prevents enemies and players to stack too much DEF and take no damage.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could try something like this

a.atk * 4 * 100 / (100 + b.def * 2)

This will always deal a reasonable amount of damage. Obviously, you can change the * 4 and *2 parts to make weaker/stronger versions.

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Something that might help you is to look at damage formula's from other games and see how they work.

I feel like something that works for me is adding "levels" in the equation or trying to set up an equation that makes a huge number, and then slap Math.sqrt around it to shrink and multiply it by a base damage number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr